Suffolk and Pub History in progress

Search UK, and London. Try the NEW London 1832 street directory

Newmarket, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Newmarket Public Houses

NEWMARKET in 1844, is one of the most fashionable schools of the turf in the annals of horse racing, is a handsome market town, with several elegant houses and public buildings, pleasantly situated on the gentle declivity of an eminence, mostly in Suffolk, and partly in Cambridgeshire, 13 miles W. of Bury St. Edmund's, 13 miles N.E. of Cambridge, and 61 miles N.N.E. of London. It increased its population from 1792 souls in 1801, to 2956 in 1841. It is in two parishes, viz., All Saints, which has 320 acres, and 714 souls, and is in Cheveley Hundred, Cambridgeshire; and St. Mary's, which has 250 acres, and 2134 souls, and is in Lackford Hundred, Suffolk, forming, with Exning, a detached member of the latter county. The Duke of Rutland is lord of the manor, but part of the soil and most of the buildings belong to other proprietors. The market, held every Tuesday, has a commodious Corn Exchange, which is well attended by growers and buyers; and here are two annual fairs for horses, sheep, &c, held on Whit-Tuesday, and Nov. 8th. Petty Sessions are held here every Tuesday. The town is a great thoroughfare, and its principal street is a about a mile in length. Most of the houses are modern and well built; and many of those which have been erected as the occasional residences of the nobility who attend the races, are extremely handsome. The inns and hotels are numerous, and are proverbial for the excellence of their accommodations. The New Rooms, erected about 70 years ago, form a large and elegant stone building, belonging to the Jockey Club, and comprising coffee, dining, card, billiard, betting, and news rooms, all handsomely furnished, and provided with every accommodation for the gentlemen of the turf, when they meet to ratify their agreements or settle matches. The Gas Works were erected in 1830, at the cost of 3000, raised in 300 10 shares. The trade of the town depends almost exclusively on affairs connected with the turf, for which it has long been celebrated.
The Race Course, one of the finest in the kingdom, is on the fine sandy heath on the north-west side of the town, in Suffolk, partly in St. Mary's, but mostly in Exning parish. Here are seven racing weeks yearly, but the races held in Easter week, and in the month of October, are the principal. The diversion of horse-racing, though undoubtedly practised in this country at the time of the Roman invasion, does not appear to have made much progress till the accession of James I., who introduced it from Scotland, where it came into vogue from the spirit and swiftness of the Spanish horses which had been thrown ashore on the coast of Galloway, when the vessels of the Armada were wrecked. From this period it became more fashionable, and Newmarket had probably some kind of a racing establishment as early as the reign of this sporting monarch, who erected a house here, which was destroyed in the civil wars, but was rebuilt by that distinguished patron of the turf, Charles II., and is still dignified with the name of Palace, being occasionally visited by royalty, but occupied by Mr. W. Edwards, the noted trainer. The idea of improving the breed of horses, has in a certain degree induced the legislature to encourage this species of gambling; and even the throne seems to sanction its continuance, for, in addition to the plates given by the nobility, the Sovereign has for many years given two annually at Newmarket, and several at other places. A gentleman who visited the Octoher races here in the reign of Queen Anne, said he saw "a great concourse of the nobility and gentry from London and all parts of England, but they were all so intent, so eager, so busy upon the shaping part of the sport," that they seemed to him "just so many horse coursers in Smithfield; descending, the highest of them, from their high dignity and quality to the picking of another's pockets." He was so sick of the jockeying party, that he left the crowd about the posts to observe the horses; "how the creatures yielded to all the arts and management of their masters; how they took their airings in sport, and played with their daily heats which they run over the course before the grand day, but how, as knowing the difference equally with the riders, they would exert their utmost strength as much as at the time of the race itself, and that to such an extremity that one or two of them died in the stable when they came to be rubbed after the first heat." The sport gives employment here to many trainers, jockeys, and grooms, who, in fine weather, may be daily seen exercising their racers upon the heath. In March, 1683, when Charles II and other members of the Royal family, with a large concourse of nobility and gentry, had assembled to witness the races, a fire broke out and consumed the greater part of the town. It has been supposed that the defeat of the Ryehouse plot, may be attributed to this accident, as it occasioned the company to depart much earlier than had been calculated upon by the conspirators. Charles I. passed through the town a prisoner in 1647. Newmarket gave birth to Thomas Merks, bishop of Carlisle, who became famous from his steady adherence to Richard II., for which he was degraded to be titular bishop of Samos. Several coins of Trajan, one of Faustina, and one of Maximianus Herculius, were found near the heath about eighty years ago. About two miles west of the town, is the Devil's Ditch, consisting of a deep ditch and elevated vallum, running seven miles in a direct line to the fens of Ely, and supposed to have been cut by the Saxons or Danes. The two Parish Churches are neat structures, each having a tower containing five bells, and surmounted by a small spire. St. Mary's, as already noticed, is in Suffolk, and is a discharged rectory, valued in K.B. at 4. 15s. 2d., and in 1835 at 375, with the vicarage of Wood Ditton, in Cambridgeshire, annexed to it. The Duke of Rutland is patron, and the Rev. P. Wilson, incumbent. The tithes were commuted in 1813. All Saints Church is in Cambridgeshire, and is a perpetual curacy, valued in 1835 at only 37. It is in the patronage of the Bishop of Norwich, and incumbency of the Rev. William Taylor. On the south side of the town are two Chapels, one belong to the Independents, and the other to the Wesleyans. The former was built in 1796, and the latter in 1841. The town has a school endowment, and several charities for the poor.
Richard Pickles, at some date unknown, charged his house (formerly the Greyhound, and now belonging to three proprietors,) with certain distributions of beef, bread, fish, (fee, in lieu of which a yearly rent-charge of 13. 5s. has long been paid, and is dispensed as follows:- 3. 17s. 6d. for a distribution of bread and meat among the poor of St. Mary's parish; 10. l1s. for a distribution of bread, meat, &c, among the poor of All Saints; and 16s. 6d. to the clerk of All Saints. In 1591, Samuel Hudson left for the poor of Newmarket, a yearly rent-charge of 20s., out of half an acre of land, and a house, formerly the Feathers Inn, and now the Post-office. From a distant period, all that has been derived from this charity is 13s. 4d. yearly. Lord AUmgton left two yearly rentcharges, viz., 13s. 4d. for the poor of St. Mary's, and 6s. 8d. for the poor of All Saints, out of the lordship of Newmarket. The poor of St. Mary's have 13s. 4d left by John Muckham and Walter Pratt, out of the manor farm (now belonging to Mr. Bryant) 15s. per annum as the rent of land at Exning, given by Mary Buck; 30s. a year out of the Greyhound Inn, left by John Archer; and the interest of 40, left by Abraham Goodall, in 1735. Two tenements and half an acre of garden ground, in Black Bear lane, are supposed to have been derived from the bequests of Robert and Thomas Row, and are occupied by poor families, except part of the land, which is let for 21s. a year. A yearly payment of 50 (subject to a deduction of 8. 15s. for office fees,) is made out of the Exchequer; under a donation of Queen Anne, for the support of Charity Schools, at Newmarket. It is paid to a master and mistress for teaching 21 boys and 21 girls. They are taught at the National School, which was built by subscription in 1826, and now affords instruction to about 90 other scholars, for small weekly payments.
NEWMARKET UNION, formed by the New Poor Law Commissioners, in 1836, comprises the two parishes of Newmarket, the six parishes of Dalham, Gazeley, Lidgate, Moulton, Ousden, and Exning, in Suffolk; and the twentyone parishes of Ashley, Boro' Green, Bottisham, Brinkley, Burwell, Cheveley, Chippenham, Dullingham, Fordham, Isleham, Kennet, Kirtling, Landwade, Soham, Snailwell, Stetchworth, Swaffham Priory, Swaffham Bulbeck, Westley, Wicken, and Wood-Ditton, in Cambridgeshire. These 29 parishes comprise an area of 150 square miles, and a population of 27,383 souls, of whom 6029 are in Suffolk, and 21,354 in Cambridgeshire. The Workhouse stands half a mile north of the town, in Exning parish, and was built, in 1836, at the cost of 6909. It is a spacious building of white brick, having room for 380 inmates. The number in the house in July, 1841, was 182; and in September, 1843, 169. The average annual expenditure of the 29 parishes for the support of their poor, during the three years preceding the formation of the Union, was 18,191 ; but in 1838, it was only 11,541, and in 1840, 15,062. 11s. The total number of in and out-door poor relieved in the last quarter of 1842, was 2770. Thirty-six guardians are elected yearly, and J. P. Allix, Esq., is chairman, and William Bryant, Esq., vice-chairman of the Board. William Parr Isaacson, Esq, is Union clerk and superintendent registrar; W. Bryant, Jun., Esq., treasurer; Richard Faircloth, Esq, surgeon; Rev. Robert Whiting, chaplain; Henry Ranee, Esq., auditor; Mr. Edward Miller, master of the Workhouse; and Mr. Chas. Clarke, relieving officer and registrar. PETTY SESSIONS are held every Tuesday, by the Suffolk magistrates, at the offices of Messrs. Isaacson and Gillson; and by the Cambridgeshire magistrates, at the Kingston Room.
Post Office, High street:- Mr. William Le Pla, postmaster. Letters despatched to London, Cambridge, and the North, South, and West, at 20 minutes past 11 night; and to Lynn, Norwich, Bury St. Edmund's, & Co., at 3 morning.

Those marked 1, reside in Albert street; 2, Albion street; 3, Bury road; 4, Cheveley road; 5, Exning road; 7, Kingston Square ; 8, Mill Hill; 9, Market lane; 10, Market place; 11, Rutland lane; 12, Sandpit lane; 13, Sun lane; 14, Wellington street; and the rest in High Street, or where specified. Those with an * prefixed are in Cambridgeshire, and all the others are in Suffolk.
14 Andrews Fuller, sheriff's officer
4*Arnull Mrs Lucy
13*Ashford Thomas, clerk and sexton of All Saints
Aylieff Joseph. excise officer, Heath
1* Balls Benjamin, carrier
13*Barber Mrs Jane
12 Barker Mrs Mary
9 Blackwin Martin Chas. bottle mert
8 B0nnett James, coachman'
Bottom Chas Jno & William, coach proprietors
Bottom Mrs Mary Ann
3 Brown William, farmer
Bryant William Esq. banker, &c
Burchley Mrs Ann
Carey Richard, Esq.
Chapman Mr Thomas
4 Chifney Mr William
Clarke Chas. relieving officer & registrar
8 Clark John Francis, architect, &c
13*Cope Rev James (Independent)
*Cocken Mr William
*Crockford William Esq
Cross William Coichraan
4*Edwards Mrs Mary
Feist E. attorney's clerk
1*Ford George, Esq
Frye Charles, banker's clerk
8 Frye F. R. organist, registrar. of marriages, and clerk to the Provident Medical Society
Gillson George, solicitor
Goodhough Mrs Sophia
Goodisson Mrs Hannah
9 Granger Sar. eating house keeper
10 Greata Mrs Ann
l*Groves Charles, foreman
1 Hall Henry, artist
*Hacon John, carrier
Hammond Chas. Eaton, Esq. banker
8 High Philip, gentleman
*Hilton William, bankers' clerk
2 Hodgson Thomas, brewer
Howlett James Barber, solicitor's clerk
Isaacson William Parr, solicitors union clerk, Supt. regr. & clerk to magistrates
13*Jacob John, fruiterer
Jeffrey Richard S. constable
5 Leech William poor rate collector
Le Pla William. postmaster
*Lushington Charles, Esq
1* Manning Jas. clerk to Jockey Club
8 Manning John, clerk of St. Mary's
6 Miller Edwd. governor. Union Workhouse
1*Neale Mrs Ann
*Norton Mrs Mary
1*Paler John, foreman
*Pars Albertus Thomas, News room
l*Perren Mr John
Pavis Mrs E.
8 Perren Thomas, clerk of race course
*Piper Stephen, Esq
10 Porter Mr William
8 Prickett John, excise officer
8 Prince Mr John
Ratliff William gentleman
*Robson Martha (lodgings)
13* Smallman Fras. gent. Nunnery
South Misses Sophia and Mary
13 Stevens Hy. Rowe, registrar of Cheveley district
1 Stofer Mr Isaac
8 Stofer Mr Isaac'
Taylor Mrs My.
1* Taylor Rev William Incumbent of All Saints
l*Turner Mr John
Wallis Thomas, coachman'
* Wetherby Edward, Esq.
* Wheatley Mr William
5 Wilkinson James, gas manager
Wilson Rev Plumpton, B.A. rector of St. Mary's
Black Bear, Samuel John James
Black Bull, Thomas Smith
*Black Horse, William Barrett
Bushel and Wine Vaults, John Mainprice
Crown, Francis Linch Bloss
9 Dolphin, James Howlett
8 Five Bells, Robert Hassall
Golden Lion, Ralph Westley
Greyhound, (posting,) William Jarvis
Grosvenor's Arms, Robert Parkinson
Half Moon, Francis Day
*Horse and Groom, Charles Rayner
1* Horse Shoes, Stephen Goodall
9 Lamb, John Frost
8 Queen Victoria, Jas. Fras. Deeks
*Rising Sun, John Ashford
*Rutland Arms, (posting) Thomas Sabin
2 Sir John Barleycorn, David B. Coe
*Star, Family and Commercial Hotel, John Snell
10 Three Tuns, James Clark
2 Two Old Brewers, Oliver Hitchen
Waggon and Horses, John Martin
14 Wellington, Mary Murrells
8 Wheat Sheaf, Samuel Speechly
White Hart, (commercial. & posting house,) Charles Bottom
White Lion, Philip Arber
10* Woolpack, Thomas Hills
Bryant Robert & Son, (on Hanbury and Co.)
Eaton, Hammond, & Co. (on Cocke and Co.)
Savings' Bank, Richard Bayley, sec.
Alfred, W. P. Isaacson
Atlas, Soloman Payne
Crown, Robert James Peck
Farmers , Charles Chapman
Free Masons', Robert Rogers
Medical and Invalid, G. B. Porter
National Mercantile, Hy. Hassell
Norwich Union, William Newman
Pelican & Phoenix, A. T. Pars
Suffolk and General, Richard Bayley
Butt C.
8 Culmer George
8 Feist Charles
8 Frye E. F.(prepy. boarding,) Berners House
* Henderson Eliz
8 Jeffs Eliz.
Manning John
5 Medbury John
8 Prince Nancy
8 Swindell John
Isaacson & Gillson
* Kitchener William Cripps
2 Phillips Chas.
Chapman Chas.
10 Stamford Simeon
8 Allen George
10 Andrews Fny.
I Clark William
* Claxton Thos.
* Kelleway Thomas
Newman John
8 Pond Ann
Basket Makers.
10 Cole John
9 Jarvis Robert
Barrow William and Richard
10 King Luke & Son
* Kerry Mary
13 * Stevens Hy. Rowe
Booksellers, Printers, &c.
Rogers & Clark
lO Simpson Allen, (and news agent and librarian)
Boot & Shoe Makers.
9 Ashman Chas.
2 Craske Edw.
11* Daniels Chas.
1* Harris Samuel
9 Haylock John
8 Howlett Samuel
14 Pettit Thomas
l* Prigg Thomas
13* Purkis Jas.
6* Rayner Robert
13* Soggott Hy.
2 Utton Thomas
13* Waters Thomas.
8 Scott Mary Ann
10 Stamford Simeon
Moody Tyrell
2 Phillips Chas.
Bouttell William
13* Bye Stephen
8 Clark John
9 Hitchen William
Bloom William
4 Gent William
Goodchild William
10 Holmes Chas,
10 Holmes John
1O Reed Thomas
1O Wiseman Norman
Cabinet Makers and Upholsterers.
Chapman John
Hull Hy. & Son
Newman William
Chemists, Drugs, & Tea Dealers.
unning Thos.
Martin Joseph, (& hatter)
Rogers Robert
Coach Makers.
Hunnybun and Venden
Derisley Mary
Porter William (& tobacconist)
Spicer Joseph
1* Franks Thomas
4* Franks William
9 Jarvis Robert
Corn Merchants.
Bloss Frederick Linch
10 Cole Robert Corn Miller.
5 Halls Joseph
Curriers, &c.
* Everard John Potter
Holland Horatio
14 Brown Rt. (& game, &c. dealer)
Furniture Brokers.
Brasher Joseph
Hull Hy. & Son
Grocers, &c.
Bayley Rd. & Son
Hurley William
Porter G. Brooks
10 Wiles Stephen
Hair Dressers.
10 Miller James
14 Stebbing Chs.
10 Symonds Thomas.
* Hassell Henry, (manufacturer)
Hassell Joseph
14 Adlard Chas. (& patten manufacturer)
Brasher Joseph
8 Cross My. Ann
10 Paul & Brown
Rowling George
Jockeys. See also Trainers.
8 Boyee William
7*Chapell James
5 Edwards Edw.
4*Flatman John
3 Pettit George
8 Robinson Jas.
8 Robinson John
Wakefield Chpr.
8 Frost Charles
* Parkinson John
7* Ruse John
ll* Westley Samuel
Linen & Woollen Drapers.
l* Andrews Hy.
Hurley William
Pask Thomas
Porter G. Brooks
Pratt James
10 Wiles Stephen
Machine Makers.
2 Cohen Jacob, (wire worker & cutler)
1* Holmes Abm.
1 Bryant William
4*Dobede John
2 Phillips Chas.
Moody Tyrell
1* Arnull Susan
8 Gossling Mary
* Jennings S. M.
8 Sadler Chltte.
*Wiles Ellen
Painters, Plumbers, & Glaziers.
Clark Thomas
Kent Samuel
*Payne Solomon
Saddlers & Harness Makers.
Boyce Charles
*Holland Horatio
*Turner Joseph
*Westley William
8 Chapman Thomas
9 Frost Charles
8 Hilton Mary
9 Le Pla Samuel
8 Mendham Thomas
Stone Masons.
Arber Philip
* Parkinson Robert (and statuaryj
Straw Hat Makers.
8 Argent Martha
1 *Balls Eliz.
* Jennings Susan Mary
14 Munnings E.
2 Utton Susnh.
*Faircloth Rd.
Fyson Robert
*Page Frederick
Peck Rt. James and Son
14 Ayis William, (hatter and clothes dealer)
lO Bradfer Jas.
Clark My. Ann
2 Folkes Joseph
Hassell Joseph, (leather breeches)
14 Husband Thomas
14 Horsley Rt.
9 Le Pla Samuel
10 Sydenham Jn.
10 Thorns Hy.
*Wickes James
TRAINERS of Race Horses.
*Arnnll William
Berresford William
4'Bloss Frederick Chs.
4'Boyce Richard Dixon
4*Boyce Rd. junior
4*Chifney Samuel
Cooper William
12 Edwards George
11* Edwards William, Palace
12 Haylock William
4* Howe John
3 Meynell Capt Edw. Fras.
3 Pettit Robert
*Risdall William, Crockford wall
12 Robinson John
Rogers Joseph
Stephenson Chpr.
Stephenson Rt.
Veterinary Surgeons.
Barrow William & Richard
* Kerry My.(John Wells, manager)
5 Leech Joseph
13 Stephens Hy. Rowe
Watch and Clock Makers.
10 Harris William
Hull Robert
Kates James, (& glass, &c. dlr)
8 Deeks Jas. Fras.
Hyde James
1* Pond Chas
Rowling George
8 Scott My Ann
Wine and Spirit Merchants
*Fleming Richard (wine)
10 Mainprice Jn
2 Phillips Chas

And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:17:08 GMT