Suffolk and Pub History in progress

Search UK, and London. Try the NEW London 1832 street directory

Honington, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Honington, Blackbourn Hundred

Google maps of the Blackbourn Hundred show the following places:

View Larger Map

Honington Public Houses

HONINGTON, a neat village, pleasantly situated in the vale of a small river, nearly 3 miles N.W. of Ixworth, and 7 miles N.N.E. of Bury St. Edmund's, has in its parish 273 souls, and 1,203a. 3r. 3p. of land. The Duke of Grafton is lord of the manor, but part of the soil belongs to Col. Rushbrooke, Dr. Probart, Mr. Edw. Mothersole, and a few smaller owners. Robert Bloomfield, one of the simplest and most captivating of our pastoral poets, was born here in 1766. His father was a tailor, but died before he was a year old. His mother kept a small school here, and married a second husband, but being poor, and having a large family, she sent Robert to his eldest brother, a journeyman shoemaker, in London, where he learnt and followed the same trade; and during his leisure hours, found time to cultivate his mind, and in his garret, among six or seven other workmen, he composed the Farmer's Boy, after his return from a visit to his native village, in 1786, previous to which he had written several short poems, which had obtained places in the London Magazine. He afterwards published his "Wild Flowers," a work containing a collection of poetical tales. His last production was "Hazlewood Hall," a village drama. He was patronized by the Duke of Grafton, who bestowed on him a small annuity, and made him an undersealer in the sealing office. This situation he was forced to resign on account of ill-health. He then worked again as a shoemaker, but in the latter part of his life, he entered into the book trade, and became a bankrupt, Before his death, in 1823, he was reduced to such a state of nervous irritability, that fears were entertained of his becoming insane. During the harvest of 1782, the village of Honington suffered severely by an accidental fire, which destroyed the parsonage and five or six other houses. The cottage in which Bloomfield's mother lived, was in the line of the flames, but was preserved by the exertions of the neighbours, and has since been improved into a neat and comfortable dwelling. The Church (All Saints) is a small thatched structure with a tower and three bells. The benefice is a discharged rectory, valued in K.B. at 7 13s. 4d., and now having a yearly modus of 333, awarded in 1839, in lieu of tithes. The patronage is in the Crown, and the Rev. W. R Mahon, is the incumbent. The poor parishioners have 48a. 2r. of land, let for 63 18s., for distributions of wood, coals, and bread, viz:- 7a. 2r., in Quake-Fen, given at an early period, by an unknown donor; 16a. at Ixworth, given by John, Bishop of Lincoln, in 1633; and 25a. allotted to the poor at the enclosure, in 1799, in lieu of their right of cutting furze on the common.
Balaam John, shoemaker
Barrow Rev. G. S., incumbent of Sapiston
Crosby Charles, baker
Elmer William, blacksmith
Goodchild Philemon, corn miller
Major William, wheelwright
Pawley William, shoemaker
Woollard Ann, victualler, Fox
Hayward Thomas
Mothersole Edm.
Roper Henry
Rose Charles
Grocers $ Drapers.
Hailstone Richard
Sparrow Edmund

And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:14:27 GMT