Suffolk and Pub History in progress

Search UK, and London. Try the NEW London 1832 street directory

Culford, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Culford, Blackbourn Hundred

Google maps of the Blackbourn Hundred show the following places:

View Larger Map

CULFORD in 1844, is a small scattered village, on a pleasant acclivity, on the north side of the vale of the Lark, 4 miles N.N.W. of Bury St. Edmund's, has in its parish 352 souls, and about 2,500 acres of land, including a great portion of the large open Heath, extending more than four miles northward. It was formerly the lordship of Bury Abbey, by gift of Thurketel Tyreing. The Rev. Edward Richard Benyon, M.A., of Culford Hall, is lord of the manor, and owns and occupies the chief part of the soil. The Hall is a large and handsome mansion, in a beautiful park of 500 acres, on the west side of the village, extending to the river Lark, and having a fine sheet of water, and extensive gardens. It was built in 1591, by Sir Nicholas Bacon, the first baronet of England, eldest son of the lord-keeper, and half brother of the lord-chancellor; and was given by him with an estate of 1,000 per annum, to his seventh son, Nathaniel, who married Jane Meautys, widow of Sir William Cornwallis, to whose family the estate afterwards passed. Culford Hall was the principal seat of the late Marquis Cornwallis, who sold nearly all his estates in this county, before his death in 1823. The Rev. E. R. Benyon owns above 10,680 acres in this and the parishes of Ingham, West Stow, Wordwell, and Timworth, most of which formed part of the estates of the Cornwallis family. Culford Church, (St. Mary) is a small neat structure, which was built by Sir Stephen Fox, whose daughter was wife of the third Lord Cornwallis. It contains a handsome monument and bust of Sir Nathaniel Bacon, with a long inscription in memory of his wife, giving her a high character as having saved from ruin, two ancient families, into which she had married. The benefice is a discharged rectory, valued in K.B. at 8, and united with Ingham and Timworth, in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. E. R. Benyon, M.A., who erected a small chapel-of-ease in 1841, on the Heath, in the northern part of the parish. The value of the joint benefices was estimated at 549 per annum, in 1835, but as the rector is lord of the manors, and owner of nearly all the three parishes, the tithes are compounded in the rent.
Benyon Rev. Edward Richard, M.A., Culford Hall
Gifford George, farm steward
Isley James, carpenter
McDonald Hugh, gardener
Mitchell Joseph, farmer, Heath
Petch James, shoemaker
Solly Thomas, land agent

And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:16:45 GMT