Suffolk and Pub History in progress

Search UK, and London. Try the NEW London 1832 street directory

History of Suffolk - Capel St Mary 1865

Post Office Directory of 1865.

For a considerable more detail and Suffolk Pubs, visit my other historical Pub sites, including Suffolk Villages & Towns

CAPEL ST. MARY (named from an ancient chapel) is a pleasant village and parish, and railway station, on the Hadleigh branch railway, and in the vale of a small millstream falling into the Stour, in the hundred, union and rural deanery of Samford, Ipswich county court district, archdeaconry of Suffolk, and diocese of Norwich, East Suffolk, 64 ¾ miles from London, 7 south-west from Ipswich, and 5 south-east from Hadleigh. The church (St. Mary) is a neat building, with a tower containing 5 bells, and formerly surmounted by a spire, which was taken down in 1818. The date of the earliest register is 1632. The living is a rectory, with Little Wenham annexed, they were valued in 1835ant £682, tithes commuted for £528, with 22 acres of glebe, and residence, in the gift of, and held by, the Rev. Joseph Tweed, M.A. The parish is in three manors, viz., Churchford Hall, and Vaux and Jermyns, of which Joseph Ansell, Esq., is lord, and Bayton Hall, belonging to Queen's College, Cambridge. The Byles, Rowley, Brooke, and other families, own part of the soil, which is mostly freehold. The population in 1861 was 660. and the area is 1,910 acres.
CROSS GREEN is a hamlet, a mile south.
Parish Clerh, Jacob May.
POST OFFICE. — George Pinner, postmaster. Letters arrive from Ipswich at 9 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m.
The nearest money order office is at Ipswich
Liverpool & London & Globe, Stephen Scarfe, Capel mills
National & Sunday Schools (boys & girls), William Gynes, master; Miss Sarah Gynes, mistress
Railway Station, John Knights, station master
Alderson Captain Edward M
Tweed Rev Joseph, M.A. [rector]
Aylward William, farmer
Barker Henry, shopkeeper
Bennett James, White Horse & wheelwright
Brooke John, farmer
Burton William, shoe maker
Everett Emma (Mrs) (exors of), farmer
Finch Henry, shoe maker
Ford William, farmer
Garnham Jeremiah, farmer
Gilbert Henry, shopkeeper
Hawes James, shoe maker
Hollick Charles, farmer
Jacobs Thomas, farmer
Kettle William, shopkeeper
King Henry, beer retailer
Lawrance Cook, blacksmith
Martin James, farmer
Ostinelli Joseph, tailor
Pinner James, shopkeeper
Richardson George, shopkeeper
Rutter Richard, farmer
Salmon George, butcher
Scarfe Stephen, miller, & agent for Liverpool & London & Globe Life & Fire Insurance Company
Scutcher George, wheelwright
Skitter Levi, harness maker
Worters Robert, farmer

And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:15:12 GMT