Suffolk and Pub History in progress

Search UK, and London. Try the NEW London 1832 street directory

Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Google maps of the Bawdsey in the Wilford Hundred show the following places:

View Larger Map

Bawdsey Public Houses

Bawdsey in Kellys 1879 Directory.
Bawdsey is a parish and village 10 miles south east from Woodbridge, or by ferry 8, and 9 south east from the Great Eastern railway station at Melton, in the Eastern division of the county, Wilford Hundred.
The village is in view of the sea, and there is a ferry across the river Deben (4 miles) to Felixstowe.
The church, dedicated to St Mary the Virgin, was burned down in 1842, but the twelfth century stone tower remains. The rebuilt church consists of nave only. The registers date from 1744.
Parish Clerk, Arthur Branch
Post Office, T M Dosser
National School, erected in 1853 for 150 children; Miss Charlotte Miller, mistress
Coastguard Station, Shingle Street, John Islop, chief officer
Carrier, George Peacock, to Ipswich

Tighe-Gregory Rev Allott MA, LLB, Vicarage
Cavell Edward Charles, farmer, Bawdsey Hall
Dosser Charles, shoe maker, Princess cottage
Dosser Thomas M, grocer & draper, & the post office
Ford Isaac, carpenter
Gobbitt William, farmer, Red house
Gross Samuel Chilton, farmer & overseer, Manor house
Islop John, chief officer of coastguard station, Shingle Street
Peacock George, carrier
Ransby Edward, Star Inn
Sayer Walter, shopkeeper
Stollery henry, shopkeeper
Turner William, farmer, High house

And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:13:35 GMT