Suffolk and Pub History in progress

Search UK, and London. Try the NEW London 1832 street directory

History of Suffolk - Yaxley 1865

Post Office Directory of 1865.

For a considerable more detail and Suffolk Pubs, visit my other historical Pub sites, including Suffolk Villages & Towns

YAXLEY is a parish and village, on the Norwich road, in Hartismere hundred, union, and rural deanery, county court district of Eye, Suffolk archdeaconry, and Norwich diocese, West Suffolk, a mile and a half cast from Mellis station, 92 ½ miles from London, 2 west from the borough of Eye, and 4 south from Diss. The church of St. Mary is an old building, with square embattled tower and 6 bells nave, south aisle, chancel, and large Gothic porch, beautifully carved: the porch has an apartment above it: the interior is lighted by clerestory windows, and the pulpit and sittings are of carved oak: the altar window is of stained glass, and the church contains several monuments, one to the memory of William Yaxlee, dated 1588. Tbe register commences 1560. The church is about to be repaired. The living is a vicarage, annual value £150, with 35 acres of glebe, in the gift of, and held by, the Rev. William Henry Sewell, M.A., of Trinity College, Cambridge, who resides at the Vicarage, a handsome residence. There is a small chapel (called Union chapel), for evening service on Sundays, occupied by the Independents and Baptists alternately; also one for the Primitive Methodists. Yaxley Hall, a mansion, built in the Elizabethan style, and situated on an acclivity half a mile from the village, is now unoccupied. Sir Edward Clarence Kerrison, Bart., M.P., of Brome, is lord of the manor; Lord Henniker, M.P., of Thornham Hall, Patrick R. Welch, Esq., of Leeds, and others, arc proprietors of the land. The charities amount to about £5 per annum, for the use of the poor, and besides the Yaxley town estate for the repairs of the ornamentation of the church. The population in 1861 was 510, and the area is 1,338 acres. The gross rental is £2.592, and the rateable value £2,268. Parish Clerk, Abraham Oakes, Eye.
POST OFFICE.—William Copping, receiver. Letters arrive from Eye at 6.30 a.m.; dispatched at 6.30 p.m. & on Sundays at 11.30 a.m. Eye is the nearest money order office & post office savings bank
INSURANCE AGENT.—City St County, T. H. Fulcher
Assistant Overseer, George Moss, Ipswich road

Hill Rev. Charles [Baptist]
Pretty Mrs
Sewell Rev. William Henry, M.A. [vicar], The Parsonage
Ablitt Charles, blacksmith
Allen Robert, farmer
Barber Geo. wheelwright k beer retailer
Blofleld George Kearsey, farmer, Manor farm
Blomfield Thomas, boot & shoe maker
Bullingham John, Bull, & cattle dealer
Bush James, shopkeeper
Butcher George, shoe maker
Copping William, grocer
Cornnby Geo. farmer, Storehouse farm
Elvish Daniel, farmer
Flowerdew Robert, miller
Fulcher Thomas, farmer
Hines Robert, tea dealer
Jeffries Sheppard, boot & shoe maker
Marshall Charles, tailor
Mdyse Robert, Red Lion, k baker
Murton Samuel, farmer, Bull hall
Smith Francis, farmer
Sparke Emma (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Taylor Caleb, fishmonger
Tillott Robert, farmer, White house
Welton Ann (Miss), fanner
Welton Edmund, blacksmith

And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:13:44 GMT