The History of Suffolk site

Search the London & UK Pub History site and Street directory by historical Pub name or street address. The Pub history site is a major historical street directory of London and the Southern area of the UK, listing many Pubs (either closed or open); and street name changes between about 1840 and about 1940.
Please Contact: Kevan with any updates and additions to the site.

Please help me out with mapping the Games for London - Rail Travel Accessibility in London in 2012, please. I need stories, pictures and feedback. This will all be added to the gamesforlondon.com site Thanks, Kevan

site search by freefind

History of Suffolk - Woolpit 1865

Post Office Directory of 1865.

Sitemap

For a considerable more detail and Suffolk Pubs, visit my other historical Pub sites, including Suffolk Villages & Towns

WOOLPIT is a parish and large village, in Thedwestry hundred, Stow union and rural deanery, county court district of Stowmarket, archdeaconry of Sudbury, and diocese of Ely, West Suffolk, a mile south-west from Elmswell station, 87 miles from London, 8 east-by-south from Bury St. Edmund's, and 5 ½ north-west-by-west from Stowmarket. The church of St. Mary is a fine Gothic structure: the tower and spire were completely destroyed by lightning during the storm which occurred on the 17th of July, 1852, and have been re-erected, at an expense of £2,000, raised partly by rate and partly by subscriptions from the landlords, parishioners, friends and neighbours. The register dates from 1558. The living is a rectory, valued in 1836 at £350, with residence, in the gift of Mrs. Page, and held by the Rev. Henry Spelman Marriott, M.A., of Trinity College, Cambridge. The Primitive Methodists have a small chapel. The National school was built in 1830, at an expenditure of about £370. A large cattle fair is held on the 10th September for horses, and following days for cattle and toys. There are several large brick and tile manufactories. The brick earth obtained in this parish, it is considered, produces bricks of a superior quality, for which it has long been celebrated. John Harcourt Powell, Esq., is lord of the manor; and the principal landowners are J. H. Powell, Esq., Major W. Parker, C. Tyrell, W. Caldecott and W. Lord, Esqrs. The soil is principally a stiff clay. There are several small charities. The population in 1801 was 1,008, and the area is 1,877 acres. Parish Clerk, Henry Howlett.
POST & MONEY ORDER OFFICE & POST OFFICE SAVINGS BANK.— Mrs. Mary Sidney, postmistress.
London mail, via Bury, arrives at 6.30 a.m.; dispatched at 7 p.m
INSURANCE AGENT.—Norwich Union, John Mason
National School, Miss Mallett, mistress
CARRIERS TO BURY.—Stearn, Wednesday & Saturday; Pettit, Wednesday & Saturday
Averill Alfred, esq
Hunt Miss
Jackson Mr. Samuel
Jackson Mr. William
King Mrs
Leech Henry Payne, esq
Marriott Rev. Henry Spelman, M.A. Rectory
Page Mrs
Towers Captain

COMMERCIAL.
Abbott William, bricklayer
Averill Alfred, surgeon
Balls Jonathan, farmer
Bethel Thomas, harness maker
Bloom Robert, beer retailer
Bonnick Richard, Crown
Brett Jacob, chimney sweeper
Burt Rolitrt, shoe maker
Cock John, plumber & glazier
Coe William, Bull
Cornish Charles, thatcher
Cornish John, thatcher, Heath
Cornish Robert, gardener
Cross Henry, shopkeeper
Elmer Thomas, miller
Finch William, beer retailer
Fisher & Golding, brick makers & farmers, & at Elmswell
Fisher Robert, horse dealer
Fisk Samuel, horse clipper
Folkerd Samuel, hair dresser, baker & beer retailer
Fox John, inspector of police
French Robert, academy
Graham Robert, butcher
Hoddy (Mrs.), farmer
Howe William, shoe maker
Leech Henry Payne, surgeon, & surgeon to the second district of Stow union
Lord Adam, farmer, Sheet farm
Lummis William, shoe maker
Mason John, grocer & draper
Morley David, butcher & farmer
Moyse James, blacksmith
Page Samuel, Swan
Pike James, miller
Pollard George, carpenter
Potter Nathaniel, baker
Radnall John Youngman, builder, sheriff's officer & assessor of taxes
Roper William, farmer
Seadon Robert, Plough
Sidney Mary (Mrs.), seminary, & post office
Stearn Brisloe, brush maker & carrier, Heath
Stiff Thomas, farmer, Heath
Stutter Causton, farmer & brick maker
Webb Frederick, cattle dealer, Heath
Wiffin William, veterinary surgeon
Wright George, brick maker Sc farmer
Wright George, tailor
WOOLVERSTONE is a parish and small village, in Samford hundred and union, and Ipswich county court district, East Suffolk, 7 miles from the mouth of the river Orwell, and 4 south-east from Ipswich station. The church of St. Michael, in the centre of the park, is a small fabric, which has been thoroughly repaired and restored, at the expense of Mrs. Berners, by G. G. Scott, Esq., at a cost of £1,000: a new chancel was erected, and a new window, representing: The Ascension of the Saviour, in memory of the parents of Mrs. Berners, the Rev. Joshua Rowley and Mary his wife. The registers date from 1538. The living is a rectory, consolidated with that of Erwarton, joint annual value, rent charge commuted, £530 2s., with55 acres of glebe, £82 10s.; gross amount, £612 10s., in the gift of John Berners, Esq., and held by the Rev. Benjamin Ruck Keene. Here is a Parochial school, erected in 1832 by the Venble. H. D. Berners, Archdeacon of Suffolk, and supported by John Berners, Esq., D.L., who is lord of the manor and owner of the whole parish, except 30 acres of glebe. The Hall, the seat of John Berners, Esq., D.L,., is a large stately mansion, standing in an extensive and well wooded park of 400 acres, containing a herd of fallow deer, and extending to the margin of the Orwell: the present mansion was erected in 1770 by the late W. Berners, Esq., the owner of the street in London of that name: it is composed of brick and stone facings, with a pediment in the centre of the principal front supported by tour Ionic columns: the curved front next the river commands pleasing views of the river and the Nacton shore, through the high trees which adorn the park: the various apartments arc fitted up with great taste, and contain a choice collection of valuable pictures by ancient and modern artists: at some distance from the house there stands a square obelisk of freestone, 96 feet high, with an ascent in the interior to the top, which is surmounted by a globe encircled with rays: it was erected in 1793 to the memory of William Berners, Esq., who died in 1783, by the late Charles Berners, Esq., his son. The estate belonged to a Mr. Tyson, who became a bankrupt in 1720, when J. Ward, Esq., of Hackney, claimed it as a mortgagee, and afterwards filed a bill of foreclosure in the Court of Chancery, where it remained for upwards of half a century undecided: in 1773 the property was sold under a decree of the court, and was purchased by the grandfather of the present proprietor for £14,000. The population in 1861 was 230, and the area is 1,256 acres.
Parish Clerk, Robert Mills.
Letters from Ipswich through Chelmondiston, arrive at 8.30 a.m.; dispatched at 6.10 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Holbrook
INSURANCE AGENTS :—
Royal Farmers' General Fire, Life Hail, A. Packard
Suffolk Alliance, W. Beckett
National School, Miss — Bloomfield, mistress
Berners John, esq. D.L., The Hall
Deane Rev Charles, D.C.L. [curate]
Beckett William, steward & farm bailiff to John Berners, esq.
Gibbs Robert, shopkeeper
Packard Alfred, farmer, Ralphs farm
Shepherd James, gardener to John Berners, esq


The historical trade directory and census listing of all of London, Essex, Kent, Suffolk, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Sussex, Hertfordshire, Cambridgeshire Oxfordshire, and Dorset. If you are searching for a historical address, try the census and street directory database. This is a Victorian view on the streets of london and the south of England.

And Last updated on: Friday, 24-Feb-2017 00:46:58 GMT