• Home
  • Cosford Database
  • London Pub History
  • Random Pub History
  • London Pubology
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Pub history in progress
  • Pub history south & west
  • WW1 gallantry research
  • WW1 regimental history
  • UK Pub History in progress

    UK Pub History in progress

    Search ME by surname, address or pub name

    History of Suffolk - Wickhambrook 1865

    Post Office Directory of 1865.

    For a considerable more detail and Suffolk Pubs, visit my other historical Pub sites, including Suffolk Villages & Towns

    WICKHAMBROOK is a parish and polling place for the western division of the county, in Risbridge hundred and union, Haverhill county court district, rural deanery of Clare, archdeaconry of Sudbury, and diocese of Ely, West Suffolk, 6 ½ miles north-by-west from Clare, and 9 ½ southwest from Bury. The church of All Saints is an old edifice, has nave, chancel, and side aisles, and tower with 5 bells: there are several monuments and tablets: in the chancel is an altar-tomb, with recumbent effigy in marble of Sir Thomas Heigham, a military knight, distinguished in the Irish Rebellion. The living is a vicarage, having a yearly rent-charge of £350, and 6 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held by the Rev. John Dawson Hull, B.A., of Trinity College, Dublin. Here is an Independent chapel, and a chapel for Primitive Methodists; there is a Parochial school for boys and girls, also Sunday schools at the church and chapels. The parish is very extensive, about 6 miles in length from north to south, and 4 in width from east to west. There are several handsome residences here. Badmondisfleld Hall, the seat of Nathaniel Warner Bromley, Esq., J.P., is surrounded by a deep moat, contiguous to which is the source or spring which supplies the parish with water. N. W. Bromley, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner; there are several smaller proprietors, of whom H. R. Bromley, Esq., and J. P. Pryke, Esq., are the principal. The ' White Horse' commercial inn is the principal house, where the petty sessions are held monthly. There are several charities, and an almshouse, built by Anthony Sparrow, in 1615. The population in 1861 was 1,452, and the area is 4,348 acres.
    AsHFIELD GREEN lies to the north; Clopton Green, east; Attleton Green, west; Coltscross Green, Gesyns, Genesis Green, Ladys Green, and Nunnery Green, northwest.
    Parish Clerk, Ammon Crick.
    POST & MONEY ORDER OFFICE & POST OFFICE SAVINGS BANK.—Miss H. P. Brown, receiver. Letters arrive from Newmarket at 9.50 a.m.; box closes at 4.45 p.m
    Accidental Death, William Cooper
    City County Fire & Life, W. G. Stutter
    Liverpool & London y Globe, William Cooper
    Clerk to the Magistrates of Petty Sessions, John H. Jardine, solicitor, Stoke
    Assistant Overseer, James Smith
    Registrar of Births & Deaths for the Wickhambrook District, & Relieving Officer, John P. Brown
    BURY—Josiah Marrow & George Chapman, Wednesdays
    NEWMARKET—Mail cart, daily, from 'White Horse;' Mrs. Sarah Rowling, tuesdays & Fridays

    Bromley Joseph R. esq. Gesyns
    Bromley Nathaniel Warner, esq. J.P. Badmondisfleld hall
    Claydon Mr. John
    Hockley Mr. William
    Hull Rev. John Dawson, B.A. [vicar]
    Kightley Rev. Thomas J.[Independent]
    Peacock Mr. James
    Pryke John P. esq. Aldersfleld hall
    Shave Mr. Thomas
    Sparrow Geo. H. esq. Wickham house
    Stutter William G. esq. Brook cottage


    Baker Philip, farmer, Rolfe's
    Bocock John, butcher & farmer
    Brewster Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper
    Brewster Simeon, carpenter
    Bromley Joseph H. farmer & landowner, Gesyns
    Bromley N. Warner, barrister at law, Badmondisfleld
    Brown John, relieving officer
    Brown Joseph, farmer
    Buxton John, watch maker
    Chapman George, boot & shoe maker
    Chapman Joseph, farmer
    Cook Richard, thatcher
    Cooper William, White Horse commercial inn
    Crick Ammon, wheelwright & blacksmith
    Crick Ephraim, beer retailer
    Cross William, ironmonger
    Death Robert, butcher
    Edgley Charles, boot & shoe maker
    Edgley James, boot maker
    Everard George, farmer .
    Farrow Jabez, farmer
    Frost James, farmer, Boyden end
    Foreman Humphrey, carpenter & beer retailer
    Fuller Benjamin, farmer
    Fuller William, farmer
    Gilby George, saddler
    Goldsmith George, farm bailiff to the Rev. J. White
    Goodwin Robert, farmer
    Grimwood William, jun. farmer
    Grimwood William, sen. farmer
    Hinds James, carpenter & beer retailer
    Hinds John, carpenter
    Hoy William, tailor
    Humphreys Frederick W. miller
    Isaacson Charles, farmer
    King Charles, beer retailer
    King Charles, flour dealer
    King James, carpenter
    Marrow Josiah, shopkeeper
    Marrow David & Alfred, plumbers & glaziers
    Moore William, farmer, Rookery
    Pamplin John, farmer
    Parker Charles, Greyhound inn
    Parker George, bricklayer
    Parker William, bricklayer
    Pask James, farmer
    Pawsey Joseph, farmer
    Pettit George, beer retailer
    Pettit Henry, shoe maker & beer retailer
    Pledger Robert, glover
    Pryke George, boot & shoe maker
    Pryke George, shoe maker, Malting end
    Pryke Jeremiah, miller
    Pryke John H. farmer, Ashfield green
    Pryke John P. farmer & landowner, Aldersfield
    Pymar Benjamin, tailor
    Radley Abraham, Crown inn
    Rowling Joseph, farmer
    Rowling Sarah (Mrs.), farmer
    Shave Ann (Mrs.), farmer
    Shave Henry, carpenter & blacksmith
    Shave Simeon, farmer
    Simkin Thomas, thatcher
    Simkin William, thatcher
    Simpson George, wheelwright
    Simpson Robert, blacksmith
    Smith James, day school
    Smith Thomas, beer retailer
    Sparrow George H. farmer & landowner
    Staples William, district surveyor
    Stutter William G. surgeon
    Webb Thomas, farmer
    Wool lard Joseph, farmer & poulterer
    Woollard Thomas R. shopkeeper
    Wright Richard, grocer & draper

    And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:13:16 GMT