• Home
  • Cosford Database
  • London Pub History
  • Random Pub History
  • London Pubology
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Pub history in progress
  • Pub history south & west
  • WW1 gallantry research
  • WW1 regimental history
  • Some ads & my pub pages

    Suffolk and Pub History in progress

    Suffolk and UK Pub History in progress

    Search ME by surname, address or pub name

    Wickhambrook, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

    Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

    Wickhambrook Public Houses & 1865 directory

    WICKHAMBROOK in 1844, is a large scattered village, in the pleasant vale of a rivulet, 7 miles N. of Clare, and 11 miles S.W. of Bury St. Edmund's, has in its extensive parish 1623 inhabitants, and about 4000 acres of fertile clayey land, including many widely scattered farm houses, and the hamlets of Ashfield Green, half a mile N.E.; Genesis Green, 2 miles N.; part of Boyden End, 2 miles N.W.; and Clopton, half a mile E. of the village. It is in three Manors, viz., Badmondisfield Hall, formerly held by the Somersets, Norths, and Warners, and now by Nathaniel Warner Bromley, Esq.; Gaines Hall, held by Mrs. Sparke; and Clopton Hall, anciently appropriated to Stoke College, and now forming part of the charity estates belonging to Thaxted, in Essex, left by Lord William Maynard. William Rayner, Esq., owns about one-third of the parish, and here are several smaller proprietors. (See list of Farmers.) Gifford's Hall, now a farm house, one mile S.E. of the village, belongs to Mr. Chinery, and was formerly held by the Owers family. Wickham House was formerly the seat of Major Robert Sparrow, and is now occupied by Mr. G. H. Sparrow. Petty Sessions are held at the White Horse every fourth Friday; and the neighbouring farmers and buyers hold a monthly meeting at the same Inn every fourth Thursday. The Church (All Saints) is a neat structure, with a tower and five bells, and the living is a vicarage, valued in K.B. at 8. 6s. lOd., and in 1835, at 210, but now having a yearly modus of 350 awarded in 1840. The patronage is in the Crown, and the Rev. Charles Borton is the incumbent. The rectorial tithes belong to N. W. Bromley, Esq., and three other impropriators. There was anciently a free chapel, dedicated to St. Mary, at Badmondisfield, in the patronage of the Hastings and Grey families; but it was granted in 1583, to William Mansey, of London, and no traces of it are now extant. In the village is a neat Independent Chapel, belonging to a congregation formed in 1734. Two schools are partly supported by subscription. A tenement and about 15a. of land are vested in trust as declared by ancient deeds, for the relief of the poor and the reparation of the church, and are now let for 15 a year, of which 2. 5s. belongs to the church, and the remainder to the poor. It is not known how the property was acquired, except 4a. purchased with the benefaction of Thomas Heigham. In 1785, Anne Warner left 400 three per cent, reduced annuities, in trust to distribute the dividends thereof on Christmasday, among the poor parishioners, who have also the dividends of 250 three per cent, stock, bequeathed in 1818 by Elizabeth Chinery, for distributions of hempen cloth. They have likewise three rent-charges, amounting to 2.10s. per annum, given by Dr. Palmer, Charles Owens, and Benjamin French. The sum of 10 a year, towards the support of the poor, is received from Vernon's Charity. (See Hnndon.) Anthony Sparrow, in 1615, charged the Stansfield Mill Farm, with the yearly payment of 8, for the relief of the poor of the following parishes, viz., 2 to be distributed in Depden; 13s. 4d. in each of the parishes of Stansfield, Denston and Bede ; 10s. in Chedburgh and Hawkedon; and 3 to be divided among the six inmates of the Almshouse, which he had built at Wickhambrook. Attached to this almshouse is about 1r. 20P. of garden ground. Borton Rev Charles, Vicarage
    Brown John, P. registrar, vestry clerk, and beerhouse keeper
    Chapman Joseph, victualler, Crown
    Coleman Rev Henry, (lndependent minister)
    Cross Miss, schoolmistress
    Dunthorn and Stutter, surgeons
    Garrod James, cooper
    Gudgeon John, victualler, White Horse Inn
    Marrow Ann, plumber and glazier
    Rannow Mrs Ann, Thorn Cottage
    Slater Daniel, relieving officer
    Smith James, schoolmaster
    Smith John, parish clerk
    Smith Thomas, beerhouse keeper
    Blacksmiths.
    Crick Alfred
    Hinds Elizabeth
    Simpson Robert
    Boot & Shoe Makers.
    Chapman George
    Edgley John
    Hargent John
    King Robert
    Parry _
    Pryke George
    Pryke Thomas
    Pryke Thomas jun
    Bricklayers.
    Parker John
    Smith James
    Butchers.
    Death Robert
    Kemball James
    Corn Millers.
    Chapman John
    Woollard Joseph
    FARMERS.
    (* are Owners.)
    Ayfon _, Barber's Farm
    Crick John
    Everard George, Clapton
    Frost Jno. Rookery
    *Frost Jas. Boyden-End
    Frost Sarah,Boyden-End
    * Fuller Benj, Badmondisfield
    Fuller William, Hale Farm
    Goldsmith George, Genesis green
    *Isaacson Mrs. Gaines Hall
    Johnson Stephen, Bromley
    Pask James
    *Pawsey George, Atterton green
    Peacock William, Ashfield-Place
    Peacock George
    Pearl Henry, (& maltster)
    *Pryke James, Ashfield green
    *Pryke John, Ashfield Hall
    Rowling Joseph, Baxter green
    Rutter John, (& glover)
    Saville John, Clopton Hall
    Saville William, Gifford's Hall
    Shave Simeon
    Sparrow George Hibble, Wickham House
    Spencer William
    Smith Mrs. Ashfield green
    Wing William, Ashfield green
    Wakelin John, Genesis green
    Woollard Joseph, Parkgate
    Shopkeepers.
    Brewster John, (& joiner)

    Tyson Richard
    Hockley William
    Marrow Josiah
    Pattle Thomas (& baker)
    Tailors.
    French James
    Pymer Benjamin
    Wheelwrights.
    Claydon John
    Crick Alfred
    Carriers
    To Bury, Wed. & Sat.
    Brown Henry
    Simpson Thomas
    Whitred James
    To Clare, Tues. and Thursday.
    Jarvis John



  • Home page
  • Contact Email :
  • Email
  • Home
  • Pub Research
  • London & Home counties :
  • London Pub History
  • Essex
  • Hertfordshire
  • Kent
  • Middlesex
  • Sussex
  • Surrey
  • Berkshire
  • Buckinghamshire
  • East Anglia:
  • Bedfordshire
  • Cambridgeshire
  • Huntingdonshire
  • Lincolnshire
  • Rutland
  • Suffolk
  • Northamptonshire
  • South & South West :
  • Cornwall
  • Devon
  • Dorset
  • Gloucestershire
  • Hampshire
  • Isle of Wight
  • Oxfordshire
  • Somerset
  • Wiltshire
  • North & Midlands :
  • Lincolnshire
  • Cumberland
  • Derbyshire
  • Durham
  • Lancashire
  • Leicestershire
  • Northumberland
  • Nottinghhamshire
  • Shropshire
  • Staffordshire
  • Warwickshire
  • Yorkshire
  • Research :
  • Pub Research
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Wetherspoons Pubs
  • Grand Junction Canal Pub History
  • Pub history on the River Thames
  • Maps of the UK
  • Anatomy Act 1832
  • BIG Site Map
  • Whats New?
  • London Pubology
  • Need a Researcher?

  • And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:13:16 GMT