• Home
  • Cosford Database
  • London Pub History
  • Random Pub History
  • London Pubology
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Pub history in progress
  • Pub history south & west
  • WW1 gallantry research
  • WW1 regimental history
  • UK Pub History in progress

    UK Pub History in progress

    Search ME by surname, address or pub name

    Whitton cum Thurlston, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

    Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

    Whitton cum Thurlstone Public Houses & 1865 directory

    WHITTON in 1874, is a small well-built village, on the Norwich road, two miles N. by W. of Ipswich, and 1 1/2 miles N.E. of Bramford railway station. Adjoining it, on the west, are the Crown Inn, the White House, and a few other buildings, which are in the parish of Bramford, but in the borough of Ipswich, which includes all the parish or Whitton, except a few houses at the northern extremity, in Bosmere and Claydon Hundred.
    Whitton Parish contains 1445 acres, including the ancient hamlet of Thurlston. It is styled Whitton-cum-Thurlston, and had 542 inhabitants in 1871. It is in Ipswich Union and County Court district. The principal owners of the soil are John Orford, Esq., of Brookes Hall, Ipswich, who is lord of the manor; Thos. N. Fonnereau, Esq., Mrs. F. Steward, of Thurlston Lodge, and Ipswich Charity Trustees. Whitton Church (St. Mary), is a neat structure, which was rebuilt in 1851, at the cost of about 800. It was enlarged in 1862, by the addition of a south aisle and a handsome tower and spire, erected with the materials of Thurlston old church, which was in use in 1500, but the benefice being consolidated with the rectory of Whitton, it was neglected after that period, and having long been used as a barn, was taken down about ten years ago. There are two stained windows in memory of Charles Steward, Esq., who died in 1867; and another in the chancel in remembrance of Captain Orton Howorth, second son of the rector. The Register dates from 1585. The rectory, with the vicarage of Thurlston annexed to it, is valued in K.B. at 6 11s. 5d.  and now at 250. The Bishop of Norwich is patron, and the Rev. William Howorth, M.A., hon. canon of Norwich, and rural dean, is the rector, and has a good residence and 40 acres of glebe. Thurlston Church (St. Botolph) was parochial, and is no doubt the church mentioned in Domesday Book, under the name of Thurlweston. It was appropriated to St. Peter's Priory, and was granted by Henry VIII., with the manor, to Cardinal Wolsey, and by Queen Elizabeth to Thomas Seckford, Esq. The great tithes of Whitton and Thurlston have been commuted for a yearly rent charge of 443, of which 273 belongs to the rector, and 170 to Mrs Woolnough, the impropriator and owner of the manor of Thurlston. Here are several neat houses; and a National School, built in 1851, at a cost of about 180. The average attendance is 48. The Poor's Land, about 4acres, let for 5 a year, was purchased with 20 marks left by John Reynolds, in 1647. A fine specimen of Roman tesselated pavoment, now in Ipswich Museum, was discovered here a few years ago; on the  property belonging to John Orford, Esq.

    Post Office at Mr. George Self's, nearest Money Order Office. Box closes at 6.15 p.m. Letters via Ipswich, which is the
    Baker George, joiner & shopkeeper
    Bird Thomas, brewer
    Blake Capt. George, Sparrows' Nest
    Bryant Joshua Henry, maltster at Ipswich; h Rose villa
    Bugg Robert, farm bailiff
    Chandler William, farmer, Castle Hill farm
    Chapman William, farmer, Thurlston Chapel farm
    Clarke George, boot manufacturer. at Ipswich; & farmer, Corporation farm
    Cook Henry, farmer, Grove farm
    Cox James, corn miller; & Ipswich
    Crisp Mrs Lucy, National schoolmistress
    Day Mrs Harriet, shopkeeper
    Day William, boot & shoe maker
    Edwards Rev Edwin
    Elmslie Mr Stewart, Ballater lodge
    Fisk Charles, farmer, Corporation farm; & brickmaker at Kesgrave
    Harrison Joseph, joiner & builder
    Harvey Joseph, farm bailiff
    Howorth Rev William, M.A., J.P., hon. canon of Norwich, rural dean, and rector of Whitton, Rectory
    James Mrs Charlotte, laundress
    King Hy. blacksmith & wheelwright
    Lambert Mr James
    Lovely William, victualler, Crown
    Noble —, farmer, Sparrows' Nest form
    Plant Mrs Maria
    Quinton Mr George, Lilburne house
    Rowland Samuel Eagle, victualler, Maypole
    Self George, foreman miller & postmaster
    Sheldrake Ephraim, fishmonger
    Smith Richard, boot & shoe maker and parish clerk
    Steward Mrs Fanny, Thurlston lodge
    Wall Mr Edward
    Wright Mr John



  • Home page
  • Contact Email :
  • Email
  • Home
  • Pub Research
  • London & Home counties :
  • London Pub History
  • Essex
  • Hertfordshire
  • Kent
  • Middlesex
  • Sussex
  • Surrey
  • Berkshire
  • Buckinghamshire
  • East Anglia:
  • Bedfordshire
  • Cambridgeshire
  • Huntingdonshire
  • Lincolnshire
  • Rutland
  • Suffolk
  • Northamptonshire
  • South & South West :
  • Cornwall
  • Devon
  • Dorset
  • Gloucestershire
  • Hampshire
  • Isle of Wight
  • Oxfordshire
  • Somerset
  • Wiltshire
  • North & Midlands :
  • Lincolnshire
  • Cumberland
  • Derbyshire
  • Durham
  • Lancashire
  • Leicestershire
  • Northumberland
  • Nottinghhamshire
  • Shropshire
  • Staffordshire
  • Warwickshire
  • Yorkshire
  • Research :
  • Pub Research
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Wetherspoons Pubs
  • Grand Junction Canal Pub History
  • Pub history on the River Thames
  • Maps of the UK
  • Anatomy Act 1832
  • BIG Site Map
  • Whats New?
  • London Pubology
  • Need a Researcher?

  • And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:14:22 GMT