• Home
  • Cosford Database
  • London Pub History
  • Random Pub History
  • London Pubology
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Pub history in progress
  • Pub history south & west
  • WW1 gallantry research
  • WW1 regimental history
  • Some ads & my pub pages

    Suffolk and Pub History in progress

    Suffolk and UK Pub History in progress

    Search ME by surname, address or pub name

    Whepstead, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

    Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

    Google maps of Whepstead in the Thingoe Hundred show the following places:

    View Larger Map

    Whepstead Public Houses

    WHEPSTEAD in 1844, is a large but widely scattered village, from 4 to 5 miles S. of Bury St. Edmund's, has in its picturesque parish 681 inhabitants, and about 3,000 acres of fertile land. Sir Thomas Hammond, Bart., of Plumpton House, a large mansion with pleasant grounds, is lord of the manor, but a great part of the soil belongs to the Marquis of Bristol, and the Worledge, Jackson, Cocksedge, Image, Ince, Sprigge, Chapman, and other families. The manor was held by Bury Abbey, by gift of Theodred, bishop of London; and was granted to Sir William Drury in the 31st of Henry VIII. It afterwards passed through various families to the late Major General Hammond, who repaired and modernized Plumpton House, in the early part of the present century, and whose descendant, the present owner, has recently been created a baronet. The Church is a neat structure with a tower containing five bells, and formerly surmounted by a spire, which was blown down by a high wind, at Oliver Cromwell's death, as also was that at Dalham. It has a handsomely painted east window, and a good organ, purchased in 1812. The rectory, valued in K. B. at l4 4s. 2d., and in 1835, at 468, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Image, M. A., who has a neat residence. The tithes were commuted in 1843. The Church Estate consists of a cottage, a garden, and 3r. 38p.of land in this parish, let for 14 a year; 12a. 28p. of tithe free land, at Thurston, let for 15 a year; and a house, a barn, and 6a. of land at Hawstead, let for 10 a year. The rents are expended in the service of the church. The land at Thurston was received in 1809, in exchange for land at Rougham; and that at Hawstead, was obtained in 1814, in exchange for land at Whepstead. A poor widow of this parish is placed in the almshouse at Hawstead, and has a yearly stipend of 5 from the charity of Sir Robert Drury, who also left the yearly sum of 5 to be distributed among the poor of Whepstead, at Christmas, as noticed with Hawstead. They have also about 3 12s. yearly from Jervis's Charily, (see Brockley;) and the interest of 200 left by John Wilson Allen, Esq., in 1825. For schooling poor children of Wheystead, and providing them with books, Thomas Sparke, in 1721, devised a copyhold farm of 24a. 2r. 13p., now let for 21 a year, out of which about 3 is required yearly for repairs, and 1 is paid to the minister and churchwardens, for their trouble in managing the charity. The school is kept in a cottage which was purchased by the trustees, and 10 poor children are taught as free-scholars
    Bowers John, beer house & shopkeeper
    Borroughs John, carpenter
    Curry James, victualler, White Horse
    Grimwood Henry, wheelwright
    Hammond Sir Thomas, Baronet, Plumpton House
    Image Rev. Thomas, M. A. Rectory
    King James Edward, Mellon Green
    Musk John, shoemaker
    Pask James, schoolmaster
    Pawsey James, parish clerk
    Payne William, shoemaker & shopkeeper
    Rutter Joseph, baker and grocer
    Wade John, wheelwright
    Webb George, blacksmith
    Wells Simon, beer house keeper
    Wright James, butcher
    FARMERS. (* are Owners.)
    Bigsby William, Whepstead Hall
    * Bigsby Thomas, (and corn miller)
    Bradley Alexander, Tuffields
    Dennis Jonathan, Riches farm
    * Drinkmilk Mary, Tuffields
    Goldsmith George, Sparkes
    Hall Thomas, Menston Hall
    Hammond Robert
    Crack John
    Holden Robert Vincents' farm
    Hustler Mrs., Malting
    Langham Joseph
    Hustler Charles
    Lee James, Doveden Hall
    Payne Abraham
    Maid Thomas
    Payne James, Mickley Green
    * Reynolds John, Waste
    * Reynolds Isaac, (& farrier) Mellon Green
    Snell John, High Green
    Vickers James, Limbers
    Wallace Walter, Dodds farm
    Watkinson George, Stone-Cross green
    Webb Mary, Chapman farm

  • Home page
  • Contact Email :
  • Email
  • Home
  • Pub Research
  • London & Home counties :
  • London Pub History
  • Essex
  • Hertfordshire
  • Kent
  • Middlesex
  • Sussex
  • Surrey
  • Berkshire
  • Buckinghamshire
  • East Anglia:
  • Bedfordshire
  • Cambridgeshire
  • Huntingdonshire
  • Lincolnshire
  • Rutland
  • Suffolk
  • Northamptonshire
  • South & South West :
  • Cornwall
  • Devon
  • Dorset
  • Gloucestershire
  • Hampshire
  • Isle of Wight
  • Oxfordshire
  • Somerset
  • Wiltshire
  • North & Midlands :
  • Lincolnshire
  • Cumberland
  • Derbyshire
  • Durham
  • Lancashire
  • Leicestershire
  • Northumberland
  • Nottinghhamshire
  • Shropshire
  • Staffordshire
  • Warwickshire
  • Yorkshire
  • Research :
  • Pub Research
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Wetherspoons Pubs
  • Grand Junction Canal Pub History
  • Pub history on the River Thames
  • Maps of the UK
  • Anatomy Act 1832
  • BIG Site Map
  • Whats New?
  • London Pubology
  • Need a Researcher?

  • And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:12:28 GMT