• Home
  • Cosford Database
  • London Pub History
  • Random Pub History
  • London Pubology
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Pub history in progress
  • Pub history south & west
  • WW1 gallantry research
  • WW1 regimental history
  • UK Pub History in progress

    UK Pub History in progress

    Search ME by surname, address or pub name

    West Stow, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

    Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

    West Stow Public Houses

    STOW, (WEST) a small scattered village and parish, in the vale of the river Lark, 5 miles N.W. by N. of Bury St. Edmund's, has in its parish 279 souls, and 3,050 acres of fertile land, including Chimney Mills, an extra-parochial place of 20 acres, having a large mill on the river, and a house with 6 inhabitants. The village adjoins the extensive park of Culford Hall, the seat of the Rev. E. R. Benyon, M.A., the lord of the manor and owner of all the parish. He has a great part of the parish in his own occupation, and is patron of the Church, (St. Mary) which is a discharged rectory, valued in K.B. at 9 17s. 3d., and in 1835 at 302, with that of Wordwell annexed to it, in the incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Hubbard. The manor passed to its present owner from the late Richard Benyon De Beauvoir, Esq. West Stow Hall, now a farm house, has been much reduced in size. It formerly surrounded a quadrangular court, and was moated, and well adapted by its interior arrangement to baronial customs and festivities. It is supposed to have been built about the beginning of the 16th century, and it formerly contained a large collection of armour. Its embattled pediments, diamond shaped tracery, and finial statues, are curious and unusual appendages in buildings of this order. The Crofts held the manor in the reign of Edward Ill., and it was afterwards held by the abbots of Bury. After the Dissolution, it passed successively to the Kitsons, Bacons, Progers, and Fowkes; and was one of the estates sold by the late Marquis Cornwallis. The sum of 10 left to the poor parishioners, by William Firmage, in 1599, was laid out in the purchase of 3a. 3r of land, at Rattlesden, now let for 3 a year, which is distributed at Christmas. The Church Land comprises one acre, in the In-field, worth only 5s. a year, and 2a. in Culpho Field, let for l 10s., a year. Directory-
    Rev. Thomas Hubbard, Rectory;
    William Day, corn miller, Chimney Mills;
    William Bilham, farmer, Hall;
    William Foulger, farm bailiff, North Stow;
    George Fenner, blacksmith and beer seller;
    and Jas. Murrell, shoemaker.


  • Home page
  • Contact Email :
  • Email
  • Home
  • Pub Research
  • London & Home counties :
  • London Pub History
  • Essex
  • Hertfordshire
  • Kent
  • Middlesex
  • Sussex
  • Surrey
  • Berkshire
  • Buckinghamshire
  • East Anglia:
  • Bedfordshire
  • Cambridgeshire
  • Huntingdonshire
  • Lincolnshire
  • Rutland
  • Suffolk
  • Northamptonshire
  • South & South West :
  • Cornwall
  • Devon
  • Dorset
  • Gloucestershire
  • Hampshire
  • Isle of Wight
  • Oxfordshire
  • Somerset
  • Wiltshire
  • North & Midlands :
  • Lincolnshire
  • Cumberland
  • Derbyshire
  • Durham
  • Lancashire
  • Leicestershire
  • Northumberland
  • Nottinghhamshire
  • Shropshire
  • Staffordshire
  • Warwickshire
  • Yorkshire
  • Research :
  • Pub Research
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Wetherspoons Pubs
  • Grand Junction Canal Pub History
  • Pub history on the River Thames
  • Maps of the UK
  • Anatomy Act 1832
  • BIG Site Map
  • Whats New?
  • London Pubology
  • Need a Researcher?

  • And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:13:42 GMT