• Home
  • Cosford Database
  • London Pub History
  • Random Pub History
  • London Pubology
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Pub history in progress
  • Pub history south & west
  • WW1 gallantry research
  • WW1 regimental history
  • UK Pub History in progress

    UK Pub History in progress

    Search ME by surname, address or pub name

    Walsham le Willows, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

    Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

    Walsham le Willows Public Houses

    WALSHAM-LE-WILLOWS in 1844, is a large neat village, pleasantly situated 5 miles E. of Ixworth, and S. W. by W. of Botesdale, and 11 miles from Bury, Diss, Stowmarket, and Thetford. It has in its parish 1,265 souls, and 2,760 acres of land, varying from a rich clay, to a light sand and mixed loam. Gilbert-de-Blund had the lordship in the Conqueror's time, and gave part of the parish to Ixworth priory, but after the Dissolution, the rectory and the lands called East-House, were granted to Richard and Eliz. Codington, and afterwards passed to the Holts. Another large estate here, was held by William-de-la-Pole, Duke of Suffolk, in Henry Vlth's reign, and was granted in the 6th of Henry VIII. to George, Earl of Shrewsbury. It afterwards passed to the Hunts, who held it in Kirby's time. Jas. B. Powell, Esq. is now lord of the manor, but a great part of the parish belongs to H. J. and T. H. Wilkinson, S. Golding, and J. Fisher, Esqrs., who have handsome mansions here; J. E. Munro,Esq., Rev. T. B. Syer, Jas. H. Amys, Esq., Rev. James Pye, Miss Lloyd, and many smaller owners, some of whom reside in the parish, in neat and commodious dwellings. The Church (St. Mary) is a large and handsome structure, with a tower containing six bells, and surmounted by a small spire. It contains several elegant monuments belonging to the Hunt and Wilkinson families. The interior was cleaned and beautified in 1843, when, on washing off the whitewash on the south side, some fine ancient paintings were discovered upon the wall. A small organ was erected by subscription in 1842, at the cost of 80. The tithes belong mostly to the principal land owners, and were commuted in 1843. Samuel Golding, Esq. is patron of the perpetual curacy, which was certified at 12, and valued in 1835, at 93. The Rev. Thomas Lawton is the incumbent. The Baptist, Independents, and Wesleyans have chapels in the village. The Town Estate has, from an early period, been vested in trust, for the benefit of the parishioners, and comprises the Guildhall and Town House, occupied rent-free, by poor families, and 57a. 3r. 24p. of land, let for 85 per annum, all in this parish, except 3a. 2r. in Badwell Ash and Stanton. The rents are applied (after paying the taxes, &C.) in payment of the churchwardens' expenses, and the expense of collecting the Lord's quit and free rents; in paying the salary of the parish-clerk; in repairing bridges; and in providing clothing for poor women, and coals for poor housekeepers. The poor parishioners have also 3 15s. 2d. a year from 3a. of land forming part of Rookwood's Charity. (See Rickinghall Superior.) A school is supported by subscription, except the payment of one penny per week by each scholar.
    Burcham Charles Manby, relieving officer, and registrar of Births, Deaths, and Marriages
    Burwood Elizabeth, milliner
    Burwood Thomas, tailor's foreman
    Chapman Charles, baker & confectioner
    Clarke Richard, thatcher
    Clarke Samuel, Thatcher
    Death Mary Ann, milliner
    Drake Henry, plumber & glazier
    Gittus James, book-keeper
    Golding and King, solicitors
    Golding Samuel, Esq., solicitor
    Hayward William, farm bailiff
    Howe Charles, bricklayer
    King John Wardle, solicitor
    Lake Ann, victualler, Blue Boar
    Last William, watch, clock, & gun maker
    Meadows Mr. William
    Meadows Zachariah, Cooper
    Miller John, Sen., gentleman
    Miller John, jun., corn merchant, maltster, &. ale and porter brewer
    Mulley Caleb, thatcher
    Nunn James, drillman
    Osborne George, hair dresser
    Pearson Edward, victualler, Black Swan
    Pearson George, cattle dealer
    Pollard William, gardener & nurseryman
    Pi-entice Samuel, gentleman
    Seaman John, wheelwright
    Spink Ann, straw hat maker
    Vautier Mrs., gentlewoman
    Vincent Samuel, veterinary surgeon
    Wakeham Mrs. Jane
    Warren Nathaniel, attorney's clerk
    Wilkinson Hooper John, Esq., Walsham House
    Wilkinson Capt. Thomas H., West-street
    Academies.
    Burcham Charlotte
    Lock William
    Pyatt John
    Beer Houses.
    Callow Robert - Four Ashes
    Clarke John - Cherry Tree
    Day William
    Blacksmiths.
    Baker George
    Smith George
    Thurston William
    Boot & Shoe Makers.
    Baker John
    Colson Edward
    Pallent Robert
    Read Charles
    Read Emmerson
    Spink Robert
    Butchers.
    Colson Alfred
    Lake Thomas
    Youngman John
    Carpenters, &c.
    Day William
    Jaggard Henry
    Jaggard William, (& baker)
    Jeffery William
    Corn Millers.
    Darby William
    Plummer Frederick
    FARMERS. (* are Owners.)
    Baker James
    Buckel John, Fishpond
    Cornell William, (& maltster)
    Darby William
    * Elliott John
    Finch George
    * Fisher John, Walsham Hall
    * Gapp Richard
    Goddard Jane, West-street
    * Hatten Rt. Hayward
    Hunt Thomas
    Matthews George, West-street
    Moore John, West-street
    Nunn Samuel
    Plummer Henry
    Plummer John
    Proctor John
    Simpson Zach.
    Thurston John, High Hall
    West Soloman, Harts Hall
    Whitbread John, Crown land
    Youngman John
    Grocers & Drapers.
    Death Charles
    Newson George Robert (& British Wine dealer)
    Pollard Henry
    Proctor Ann
    Rope Makers.
    Pamment Isaac
    Pollard William
    Saddlers.
    Boggis John
    Scarfe George
    SURGEONS.
    Freeman William A.
    Kent Walton
    Tailors.
    Clarke Rainbird
    Cornell James
    Death Charles
    CARRIERS. George Firman, to Ipswich, Thurs.
    Jas. Fenn & George Finch, to Bury, wed. & saturday

  • Home page
  • Contact Email :
  • Email
  • Home
  • Pub Research
  • London & Home counties :
  • London Pub History
  • Essex
  • Hertfordshire
  • Kent
  • Middlesex
  • Sussex
  • Surrey
  • Berkshire
  • Buckinghamshire
  • East Anglia:
  • Bedfordshire
  • Cambridgeshire
  • Huntingdonshire
  • Lincolnshire
  • Rutland
  • Suffolk
  • Northamptonshire
  • South & South West :
  • Cornwall
  • Devon
  • Dorset
  • Gloucestershire
  • Hampshire
  • Isle of Wight
  • Oxfordshire
  • Somerset
  • Wiltshire
  • North & Midlands :
  • Lincolnshire
  • Cumberland
  • Derbyshire
  • Durham
  • Lancashire
  • Leicestershire
  • Northumberland
  • Nottinghhamshire
  • Shropshire
  • Staffordshire
  • Warwickshire
  • Yorkshire
  • Research :
  • Pub Research
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Wetherspoons Pubs
  • Grand Junction Canal Pub History
  • Pub history on the River Thames
  • Maps of the UK
  • Anatomy Act 1832
  • BIG Site Map
  • Whats New?
  • London Pubology
  • Need a Researcher?

  • And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:14:05 GMT