• Home
  • Cosford Database
  • London Pub History
  • Random Pub History
  • London Pubology
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Pub history in progress
  • Pub history south & west
  • WW1 gallantry research
  • WW1 regimental history
  • Some ads & my pub pages

    Suffolk and Pub History in progress

    Suffolk and UK Pub History in progress

    Search ME by surname, address or pub name

    Troston, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

    Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

    Troston Public Houses

    Troston in 1844, is a neat and pleasant village, 2 1/2 miles N.W. of Ixworth, and 6 1/2 miles N. N. E. of Bury St. Edmund's, has in its parish 409 souls, and 1,776 acres of land, including a sandy floor of 400a., covered with ling and furze. It formerly belonged to Bury Abbey, and afterwards to the Maddocks and Brandish families. Robert Evelyn Lofft, Esq., is now lord of the manor, but part of the soil belongs to Mr. Chas. Wayman, and a few smaller owners. Troston Hall, the beautiful seat of R. E. Loft, Esq., was greatly improved by the late Capel Lofft, Esq, a learned barrister, an eminent writer on legal, political, and other subjects, and a warm patron of literary talents. To gratify his own peculiar taste, he inscribed almost every tree in his garden and pleasure grounds, either to names of classical celebrity, or to such as are venerable for the virtues of the persons who bore them. A laurel bears the name of Howard, to commemorate that philanthropist's visit to Troston, in 1786, and a large elm is denominated Evelyn, after the celebrated antiquary and planter. Troston was purchased in 1680, by Robert Maddocks, Esq, whose father was descended from the family formerly possessed of the sovereignty of Wales, and left that principality at the age of 13, on foot, friendless and alone, in search of employment. Having arrived in London, he repaired to Cheapside, where, observing a merchant soil his shoe, in crossing the street, he immediately ran aud brushed off the dirt. The merchant, struck with the boy's attention, enquired into his situation, and having heard his story, took him into his service. After some time, he was employed in the counting-house ; and in the sequel, became a partner in the firm, and acquired a considerable fortune. At Troston Hall, was born, in 1713, Edward Capel, (maternal uncle of the late Mr. Lofft,) a writer, distinguished by his commentaries on Shakespear, and by his beautiful edition of the works of the immortal dramatist, in 10 volumes octavo. He held the office of deputy inspector of plays, to which is attached a salary of 200 per annum. The Church (St. Mary) is a neat thatched fabric with a tower and three bells, and contains several neat monuments. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in K. B. at 10 4s. 7d., and now having a yearly modus of 332, awarded in 1842, in lieu of tithes. The patronage is in the Crown, and the Rev. R. J. Buller, B. A., is the incumbent. The Wesleyans have a small chapel here. In the 18th of Charles II., 20 given to the poor by Thomas Lamb, and 14, given by other donors, were invested in the purchase of a yearly rent charge of 34s. out of land now belonging to Rt. E. Lofft, Esq. This annuity is distributed in blankets. The Poor's, Allotment, 14a. 1r. 3lp., was awarded at the enclosure, in 1806, and is now let for 22 a year, which is distributed among the poor of the parish, in coals. The Church Land, 1A. 22p. was allotted at the enclosure, in lieu of the old Church Land, and is let for 21s. a year.
    Blake John, tailor
    Buller Rev. Reginald John, B. A., Rectory
    Downs Thomas, blacksmith
    Fuller John, corn miller
    Girkin John, flour dealer
    Gladwell George, shopkeeper
    Jacob George, victualler, Bull
    Lofft Robert Evelyn, Esq., Hall
    Pleasance. William, gamekeeper
    Richardson Charles, gentleman
    Richardson Capt. Frederick
    Vincent Rd. painter and glazier
    Yeomans Robert, carpenter
    FARMERS.
    Fisk Isaac, Hall
    Mathew Robert
    Roiser Thomas
    Stennett Richard
    Wayman Charles (owner)
    Shoemakers.
    Girkin William & Rt
    Meadows William
    Carrier.
    James Frost, to Bury, wed & sat

  • Home page
  • Contact Email :
  • Email
  • Home
  • Pub Research
  • London & Home counties :
  • London Pub History
  • Essex
  • Hertfordshire
  • Kent
  • Middlesex
  • Sussex
  • Surrey
  • Berkshire
  • Buckinghamshire
  • East Anglia:
  • Bedfordshire
  • Cambridgeshire
  • Huntingdonshire
  • Lincolnshire
  • Rutland
  • Suffolk
  • Northamptonshire
  • South & South West :
  • Cornwall
  • Devon
  • Dorset
  • Gloucestershire
  • Hampshire
  • Isle of Wight
  • Oxfordshire
  • Somerset
  • Wiltshire
  • North & Midlands :
  • Lincolnshire
  • Cumberland
  • Derbyshire
  • Durham
  • Lancashire
  • Leicestershire
  • Northumberland
  • Nottinghhamshire
  • Shropshire
  • Staffordshire
  • Warwickshire
  • Yorkshire
  • Research :
  • Pub Research
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Wetherspoons Pubs
  • Grand Junction Canal Pub History
  • Pub history on the River Thames
  • Maps of the UK
  • Anatomy Act 1832
  • BIG Site Map
  • Whats New?
  • London Pubology
  • Need a Researcher?

  • And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:13:46 GMT