• Home
  • Cosford Database
  • London Pub History
  • Random Pub History
  • London Pubology
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Pub history in progress
  • Pub history south & west
  • WW1 gallantry research
  • WW1 regimental history
  • Some ads & my pub pages

    Suffolk and Pub History in progress

    Suffolk and UK Pub History in progress

    Search ME by surname, address or pub name

    Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

    Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

    Sudborne Public Houses

    SUDBORNE in 1874.
    SUDBORNE, or Sudbourn, is a scattered village, 1 mile N. of Orford, in Plomesgate Union, and Woodbridge County Court district. Its parish has 532 inhabitants, and about 80 acres of water and 5349 acres of land, extending three miles northward, nearly to Aldborough, along the western side of the river Ore. It includes most of the Lantern Marshes and Orford-ness, on the opposite side of that river, bordering upon the ocean. The manor belonged to Ely Priory, and was granted by Edward VI. to the Bishop of Norwich, but it was soon afterwards possessed by Sir Michael Stanhope, who built the hall. Sir Edmund Withipole obtained it in marriage with Sir Michael's daughter, and his daughter and heiress carried it in marriage to Leicester Devereux, Viscount Hereford, from whom it passed to his son, whose Executors sold it in 1754 to an ancestor of the late and fourth Marquis of Hertford, who owned most of the parish, and died August, 1870, when he was succeeded by his kinsman, the Most Honourable Francis Hugh George Seymour, the present Marquis of Hertford, who sold the manor and estate here, in February, 1871, to Sir Richard Wallace, Bart. Mr. James Chaplin and some other proprietors have small estates in the parish: Sudborne Hall, the seat of Sir R. Wallace, is a plain quadrangular mansion, which was built about the year 1784, from designs by Wyatt. It stands in an extensive park, about a mile N.W. of Orford. It was used as a sporting residence by some of its later owners, on account of the park and the neighbourhood abounding in game. It was new faced with brick, and thoroughly restored, in 1872-3, when large pleasure grounds and flower gardens, extending over 20 acres, were laid out, conservatories, vineries, &c., built, kitchen gardens enlarged, and gas works for the use of the house erected, and other improvements effected. THE CHURCH (All Saints) is a small ancient structure, which was repaired about the year 1851. Sir R. Wallace, Bart., has presented the old hall organ to the church. The living is a rectory, with the chapelry of Orford annexed to it, valued in K.B. at 33. 0s. 8d., and in 1835 at 577, but the tithes were commuted in 1839 for about 500 per annum. The patronage is in the Crown, and the Rev. John Maynard, M.A., is the incumbent, and has his residence at Orford. THE BAPTISTS have a chapel, erected on the common in 1863. The Church and Poor's Estate comprises about 60A. of marsh land, let for about 240 a year; and a yearly rent-charge of 6, secured and payable under the award of the commissioners for enclosing the common lands in this parish, in 1807. The income from these sources is applied mostly with the poor rates, and partly in the service of the church. A yearly sum of 9. 10s. from Sir M. Stanhope‘s charity, is distributed among the poor of Sudborne.

    Post OFFICE at Mr. Francis Sawyers Letters arrive at 6.10 a.m. from, and are despatched at 7.20 p.m. to Wickham Market, but Orford is the nearest Money Order Office.

    Artis Mr John, Sudborne lodge
    Brinkley Henry, farmer
    Brown James, wheelwright
    Chaplin James, farmers & landowner, Cowton house
    Clarke Herbert, farmer
    Cutts George, farmer
    Estaugh George & William, farmers, Church farm
    Everett Francis Henry, farmer, Ferry farm
    French Philip, farmer, Red house
    Howard Robert, farm bailiff
    Levett James, blacksmith
    Lloyd William, head gamekeeper, Sudborne park
    Maltster Samuel, farmer
    Maynard Rev John, M.A. rector; h Orford
    Moss Horace, farmer
    Pottle John, head gardener, Sudborne park
    Raymore George, shopkeeper
    Rackham William, grocer and draper and victualler, Chequers
    Rope Bichard Frederick, farmer, Sudborne lodge
    Sawyer Francis, shopkeeper & postmaster
    Sawyer Henry, farmer
    Sewell Mrs Emma, farmer. Valley farm
    Wallace Sir Richard, Bart. Sudborne hall
    Whayman Mrs Elizabeth, farmer



  • Home page
  • Contact Email :
  • Email
  • Home
  • Pub Research
  • London & Home counties :
  • London Pub History
  • Essex
  • Hertfordshire
  • Kent
  • Middlesex
  • Sussex
  • Surrey
  • Berkshire
  • Buckinghamshire
  • East Anglia:
  • Bedfordshire
  • Cambridgeshire
  • Huntingdonshire
  • Lincolnshire
  • Rutland
  • Suffolk
  • Northamptonshire
  • South & South West :
  • Cornwall
  • Devon
  • Dorset
  • Gloucestershire
  • Hampshire
  • Isle of Wight
  • Oxfordshire
  • Somerset
  • Wiltshire
  • North & Midlands :
  • Lincolnshire
  • Cumberland
  • Derbyshire
  • Durham
  • Lancashire
  • Leicestershire
  • Northumberland
  • Nottinghhamshire
  • Shropshire
  • Staffordshire
  • Warwickshire
  • Yorkshire
  • Research :
  • Pub Research
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Wetherspoons Pubs
  • Grand Junction Canal Pub History
  • Pub history on the River Thames
  • Maps of the UK
  • Anatomy Act 1832
  • BIG Site Map
  • Whats New?
  • London Pubology
  • Need a Researcher?

  • And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:13:29 GMT