• Home
  • Cosford Database
  • London Pub History
  • Random Pub History
  • London Pubology
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Pub history in progress
  • Pub history south & west
  • WW1 gallantry research
  • WW1 regimental history
  • UK Pub History in progress

    UK Pub History in progress

    Search ME by surname, address or pub name

    Dalham, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

    Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

    Stradishall Public Houses

    STRADISHALL in 1844, is a pleasant village near the source of a rivulet, 5 1/2 miles N.W. of Clare, has in its parish 379 souls, and 1400 acres of strong clayey land, mostly belonging to and occupied by William Rayner, Esq., of Stradishall Place, a neat mansion near the church. The remainder belongs to Misses Walpole, and Messrs. Joseph Cooke, J. W. Dennis, and Joseph Wallis. The Church (St. Margaret) is an ancient fabric, with a tower and five bells; and the living is a rectory, valued in K.B. at 9. 11s., and now having 52a. of glebe, and a yearly modus of 400, awarded in 1840. Sir R. Harland is patron ; and the Rev. Charles Jenkin, D.D., incumbent. The old Workhouse was converted into a Wesleyan Chapel, in 1843, at the expense of W. Rayner, Esq. In 1573, John Hoult left a house for the residence of two of the poorest men and women of Stradishall, and charged his mansion-house with the yearly payment of 3 for distribution among the occupants of the said house, and the other poor of the parish. By a decree of the Court of Chancery, for establishing this charity, in the 26th of Elizabeth, it was ordered that the inmates of the almshouse should be appointed by six of the principal parishioners, and that 33, being the amount of eleven years' arrears of the annuity, should be laid out in land, the rents thereof to be bestowed in the repairs of the almshouse, and the relief of the poor parishioners. This sum of 33 was laid out, with 20 given to the poor by Ann Smythe, in the purchase of 5a. 2r. cf land, at Wickhambrook, now let for 7 a year, which is distributed in bread or money. The almshouse fell down about 1813, and the annuity of 3 was suffered to accumulate till a few years ago, for the purpose of rebuilding it. For the support of a workhouse, this parish has 10 a year from Vernon's Charity. (See Hundon.)
    Chapman John, shopkeeper
    Clarke Joseph, shopkeeper
    Cooke Joseph, Moat Farm
    Denniss James Wing, Hill Farm
    Goodison Robert, farm steward
    Ive William, wheelwright
    Jenkin Rev. Charles, D.D. Rectory
    Pettit James, tailor, Haw bush
    Rayner Wm. Esq. Stradishall Place
    Seabrook Richard, shoemaker
    Seabrook Samuel, victualler, Fox & Hounds
    Wallis Joseph, corn miller
    Webb Thomas, maltster

  • Home page
  • Contact Email :
  • Email
  • Home
  • Pub Research
  • London & Home counties :
  • London Pub History
  • Essex
  • Hertfordshire
  • Kent
  • Middlesex
  • Sussex
  • Surrey
  • Berkshire
  • Buckinghamshire
  • East Anglia:
  • Bedfordshire
  • Cambridgeshire
  • Huntingdonshire
  • Lincolnshire
  • Rutland
  • Suffolk
  • Northamptonshire
  • South & South West :
  • Cornwall
  • Devon
  • Dorset
  • Gloucestershire
  • Hampshire
  • Isle of Wight
  • Oxfordshire
  • Somerset
  • Wiltshire
  • North & Midlands :
  • Lincolnshire
  • Cumberland
  • Derbyshire
  • Durham
  • Lancashire
  • Leicestershire
  • Northumberland
  • Nottinghhamshire
  • Shropshire
  • Staffordshire
  • Warwickshire
  • Yorkshire
  • Research :
  • Pub Research
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Wetherspoons Pubs
  • Grand Junction Canal Pub History
  • Pub history on the River Thames
  • Maps of the UK
  • Anatomy Act 1832
  • BIG Site Map
  • Whats New?
  • London Pubology
  • Need a Researcher?

  • And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:12:20 GMT