• Home
  • Cosford Database
  • London Pub History
  • Random Pub History
  • London Pubology
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Pub history in progress
  • Pub history south & west
  • WW1 gallantry research
  • WW1 regimental history
  • UK Pub History in progress

    UK Pub History in progress

    Search ME by surname, address or pub name

    Stowlangtoft, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

    Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

    STOWLANGTOFT in 1844 is a small neat village, in a pleasant valley, near the confluence of a small rivulet with the southern Thet, 21 miles S.S.E. of Ixworth, and 6 1/2 miles E.N.E. of Bury St. Edmund's. Its parish contains 163 souls, and 1,358a. 1r. 6p. of land, all the property and manor of Henry Wilson, Esq;, who resides at the Hall, a large and handsome mansion, with neat pleasure grounds, anciently the seat of the Langtofts, and afterwards of the families of Peche and D'Ewes. One of the latter was Sir Simonds D'Ewes, a learned antiquary of the 17th century. The Hall was partly rebuilt in 1782, by Sir Walter Rawlinson, who inherited the estate from his father, Sir Thomas, who was Lord Mayor of London, in 1754, and purchased this parish in 1760, of the Norton family. The Church (St. George) is a neat structure with a tower and three bells, and stands within a double trenched camp. It is said to have been built in 1370, by Robert Dacy, of Ashfield; and in a field about half a mile from it, a pot full of Roman coins of the lower empire, was found in 1764. In Red Castle farm, in the adjoining parish of Pakenham, a fine tesselated pavement was discovered about thirty years ago. The rectory, valued in K.B. at 8 7s. 8d., has a good residence, 65a. 2r. 9p. of glebe, and a yearly modus of 243 17s. 6d., awarded in 1843, in lieu of tithes. H. Wilson, Esq. is patron, and the Rev. Samuel Rickards, M.A. is the incumbent. Here is an Almshouse, occupied by four poor widows, and about an acre of land, partly occupied as gardens, by the almswomen, and partly let for 21s. a year, which is carried to the poor rates, out of which the almshouse is repaired. The donor is unknown. A small free school is supported by Mr. Wilson. Directory-
    Henry Wilson, Esq., Hall;
    Rev. S. Rickards, M.A., Rectory;
    Chas. Dennis, farm bailiff;
    Thomas Green, farmer, Bridge;
    Chas. Thomas Mathew, farmer, Street;
    and Eliz. Tuck, shopkeeper and lime burner.


  • Home page
  • Contact Email :
  • Email
  • Home
  • Pub Research
  • London & Home counties :
  • London Pub History
  • Essex
  • Hertfordshire
  • Kent
  • Middlesex
  • Sussex
  • Surrey
  • Berkshire
  • Buckinghamshire
  • East Anglia:
  • Bedfordshire
  • Cambridgeshire
  • Huntingdonshire
  • Lincolnshire
  • Rutland
  • Suffolk
  • Northamptonshire
  • South & South West :
  • Cornwall
  • Devon
  • Dorset
  • Gloucestershire
  • Hampshire
  • Isle of Wight
  • Oxfordshire
  • Somerset
  • Wiltshire
  • North & Midlands :
  • Lincolnshire
  • Cumberland
  • Derbyshire
  • Durham
  • Lancashire
  • Leicestershire
  • Northumberland
  • Nottinghhamshire
  • Shropshire
  • Staffordshire
  • Warwickshire
  • Yorkshire
  • Research :
  • Pub Research
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Wetherspoons Pubs
  • Grand Junction Canal Pub History
  • Pub history on the River Thames
  • Maps of the UK
  • Anatomy Act 1832
  • BIG Site Map
  • Whats New?
  • London Pubology
  • Need a Researcher?

  • And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:13:37 GMT