• Home
  • Cosford Database
  • London Pub History
  • Random Pub History
  • London Pubology
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Pub history in progress
  • Pub history south & west
  • WW1 gallantry research
  • WW1 regimental history
  • Some ads & my pub pages

    Suffolk and Pub History in progress

    Suffolk and UK Pub History in progress

    Search ME by surname, address or pub name

    Stanton, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

    Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

    Stanton Public Houses

    STANTON-All-Saints, and St. John the Baptist in 1844, are two adjoining villages and united parishes, pleasantly situated on the Norwich road, 9 miles N.E. by E. of Bury St. Edmund's, and 3 miles N.E.of Ixworth, and containing 1,029 inhabitants, 3,254 acres of fertile land,the small hamlet of Upthorpe,1 1/2 mile S.E., and several scattered farm houses. Though there are still two churches, Stanton may be considered as one well built village, in which are several good Inns, retail shops, and corn mills. It has a fair for pleasure and pedlery on Whitmonday. Edward the Confessor gave the manor and advowson of All Saints to Bury Abbey, and they were granted in the 31st of Henry VIII., to Sir Thomas Jermyn, Kt. The two rectories were consolidated in l457, and since the reign of Elizabeth, the two parishes have maintained their poor conjointly. R. E. Lofft, Esq. is now lord of the manor, and owns a great part of the soil, but Mrs. Vautier owns Stanton Park, now a large farm, half a mile S. of the village, and here are several smaller owners. All Saints and St. John's Churches are neat structures, and each has a tower and four bells. The consolidated rectories are discharged from the payment of first fruits and tenths, and rated in K.B., the former at 9 6s. Od., and the latter at 9 4s. 9i
    d. R. E. Lofft, Esq. is patron, and the Rev. George Bidwell is the incumbent, and has a commodious residence, and a yearly modus of 977 2s. 7d., awarded in 1839 The Wesleyans have a chapel here, built in 1839. The Church Land, about 12 a., let for 20 a year, is vested in trust, for repairing and maintaining the two churches. The Town House, purchased in 1779, is occupied by poor people, rent free, as also is a cottage and small piece of land, given to the parish, in 1813, by Phillis Clarke, in consideration of the relief afforded her from the poor rates. For a yearly distribution among the poor, Catherine Tricker, in 1605, left 20, and it was laid out in the purchase of an acre of land, now let for 2 per annum. The sum of 10 left to the poor, by William Firmage, in 1611, was laid out in the purchase of 1a. 2r. 32p. of land, at Rattlesden, now let for 1 11s. a year. The Poor's Allotment comprises 54a. awarded at the enclosure of the commons, and now let for about 90 a year, which is distributed among poor parishioners, in coals.
    [blocks in formation]
    Baker Thomas, parish clerk
    Bidwell Rev George, Rectory
    Bowen John, gentleman
    Clarke Susan, collar & harness maker
    Coke William, victualler, Rose & Crown
    Green George, gardener
    Howe Mr Robert
    Jarman Mrs Sarah
    Miller John, maltster
    Oxborrow Sheppard, farrier
    Robinson Benj, victualler, Cock Inn
    Sturgeon Thomas, gamekeeper
    Youngman, victualler, George Inn
    Beer Houses
    Brewington John
    Davey Thomas
    Sturgeon John
    Academies (* take Boarders)
    * Howe Miss S
    * Kent Miss E
    * Raynham Thomas
    Sturgeon Henry
    Nakers.
    Baker George M
    Cutting Samuel
    Davey Thomas
    Blacksmiths.
    Brewington John
    Calver George
    Hayward henry
    Boot & Sho Makers.
    Blishard William
    Johnson William
    Luca William
    Sare Jonathan
    Bricklayers.
    Fordham Robert
    Millican Pettit
    Millican Philip
    CArpenters etc.
    Hailstone Henry
    Pooley Thomas (& lime burner)
    Corn Millers.
    Markham John
    Rollinson George
    Trudgett William
    Wells Samuel
    FARMERS. (* are at Upthorpe)
    *Avey Thomas
    Baker Thomas
    "Bradley Francis
    Bradley Robert
    * Chapman Rt.
    Cobb Charles
    Downing Robert
    Easlea William, Dale Farm
    Harrison Jonthn
    Howe John
    Howe Robert
    Marsh Thomas
    Pooley Thomas
    Ruse Mrs., Hall
    Spalding Abhm.
    Stebbing James
    Taylor Daniel, Wrens-Hall
    Taylor William, Manor House.
    Woodard John, Stanton Park
    Grocers and Drapers.
    Farrow John
    Fisk Edmund (& tailor.)
    Keeble Jonaa
    Kent Mary
    Kinsey Henry, (and tailor)
    Taylor Baker
    SURGEONS.
    Kent Jas. Hy.
    Kent John
    Wheelwrights.
    Good David
    Nickerson John
    CARRIER. David Beeton, to Bury, Wed & Sat.
    Post to Ixworth. Edm.Carman, at 6 morning. & evening


  • Home page
  • Contact Email :
  • Email
  • Home
  • Pub Research
  • London & Home counties :
  • London Pub History
  • Essex
  • Hertfordshire
  • Kent
  • Middlesex
  • Sussex
  • Surrey
  • Berkshire
  • Buckinghamshire
  • East Anglia:
  • Bedfordshire
  • Cambridgeshire
  • Huntingdonshire
  • Lincolnshire
  • Rutland
  • Suffolk
  • Northamptonshire
  • South & South West :
  • Cornwall
  • Devon
  • Dorset
  • Gloucestershire
  • Hampshire
  • Isle of Wight
  • Oxfordshire
  • Somerset
  • Wiltshire
  • North & Midlands :
  • Lincolnshire
  • Cumberland
  • Derbyshire
  • Durham
  • Lancashire
  • Leicestershire
  • Northumberland
  • Nottinghhamshire
  • Shropshire
  • Staffordshire
  • Warwickshire
  • Yorkshire
  • Research :
  • Pub Research
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Wetherspoons Pubs
  • Grand Junction Canal Pub History
  • Pub history on the River Thames
  • Maps of the UK
  • Anatomy Act 1832
  • BIG Site Map
  • Whats New?
  • London Pubology
  • Need a Researcher?

  • And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:11:37 GMT