• Home
  • Cosford Database
  • London Pub History
  • Random Pub History
  • London Pubology
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Pub history in progress
  • Pub history south & west
  • WW1 gallantry research
  • WW1 regimental history
  • UK Pub History in progress

    UK Pub History in progress

    Search ME by surname, address or pub name

    South Elmham St James, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

    Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

    Public houses in South Elmham

    SOUTHELMHAM ST. JAMES in 1844, is a straggling village, 6 miles N.W. by W. of Halesworth, and 7 miles S. by W. of Bungay, has in its parish 289 souls, and 1301A. 3r. 10p. of land, part of which, on the south side of the parish, is called St. James's Park, and was anciently a demesne of the Bishops of Norwich, who occasionally resided here in the 12th and 13th centuries, as already noticed. William. Adair, Esq., is lord of the manor, but part of the soil belongs to N. Micklethwaite, Esq., the Rev. John Lewis, and a few smaller owners. The Church is a small structure, with a tower and four bells, and the benefice is a discharged rectory, valued in K.B. at 8, and now having a yearly modus of 384. 10s., in lieu of tithes. Wm. Adair, Esq., is patron, and the Rev. Courtenay Boyle Bruce, B.A., incumbent. The Town Estate, consisting of a house, outbuildings, and 15a. of land, let for 20 per annum, was left in 1679 by Catherine Skaiffe, for the repairs of the church and superstitious uses ; but after the Reformation, it was vested in trust to apply the rents so far as necessary in repairing the church, and to pay one half of the overplus towards easing the poor rates, and apply the other half in such charitable uses as the trustees should think fit. The Town House, formerly the poorhouse is let on lease for 2. 10s. a year, which is applied with the rent of the Town Estate.
    Brown Joseph, tailor & shopkeeper
    Buxton John, blacksmith
    Burton James, victualler, White Horse
    Mann Job, boot and shoe maker
    Page William, wheelwright
    FARMERS.
    Aldrich John
    Buckingham Jas
    Butcher Henry
    Chambers James
    Chambers Geo.
    Chambers William
    Cunningham J.
    Hunting John
    Lay James
    More Richard
    Page James
    Thurston William (and farrier)

  • Home page
  • Contact Email :
  • Email
  • Home
  • Pub Research
  • London & Home counties :
  • London Pub History
  • Essex
  • Hertfordshire
  • Kent
  • Middlesex
  • Sussex
  • Surrey
  • Berkshire
  • Buckinghamshire
  • East Anglia:
  • Bedfordshire
  • Cambridgeshire
  • Huntingdonshire
  • Lincolnshire
  • Rutland
  • Suffolk
  • Northamptonshire
  • South & South West :
  • Cornwall
  • Devon
  • Dorset
  • Gloucestershire
  • Hampshire
  • Isle of Wight
  • Oxfordshire
  • Somerset
  • Wiltshire
  • North & Midlands :
  • Lincolnshire
  • Cumberland
  • Derbyshire
  • Durham
  • Lancashire
  • Leicestershire
  • Northumberland
  • Nottinghhamshire
  • Shropshire
  • Staffordshire
  • Warwickshire
  • Yorkshire
  • Research :
  • Pub Research
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Wetherspoons Pubs
  • Grand Junction Canal Pub History
  • Pub history on the River Thames
  • Maps of the UK
  • Anatomy Act 1832
  • BIG Site Map
  • Whats New?
  • London Pubology
  • Need a Researcher?

  • And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:13:53 GMT