Suffolk and Pub History in progress

Search UK, and London. Try the NEW London 1832 street directory

History of Suffolk - Sotherton 1865

Post Office Directory of 1865.

For a considerable more detail and Suffolk Pubs, visit my other historical Pub sites, including Suffolk Villages & Towns

SOTHERTON is a parish, in BIything hundred and union, rural deanery of Dunwich, Halesworth county court district, archdeaconry of Suffolk, and diocese of Norwich, East Suffolk, about 7 miles south from Beccles, and 4 cast-north-east from Halesworth. The church of St. Andrew was rebuilt in 1854 by subscription, and is a beautiful edifice, having a nave, cbancel and vestry; It has an organ, and some excellent painted glass. The living is a rectory, consolidated with that of Uggeshall ; the tithes are commuted at 275, and 13 acres of glebe, in the gift of Earl of Stradbroke, and held by the Rev. William Charles Edgell, M.A., of St. John's College, Oxford. Earl of Stradbroke is lord of the manor and owner of the soil. The population in 1861 was 187, and the area is 1,085 acres.
Parish Clerk, James Roberto.
Letters through Wangford, which is also the nearest money order office

COMMERCIAL.
Bardwell William Wallace, farmer
Clark George, farmer
Dimmock Joseph, farmer
Driver Adam, farmer
Freestone Samuel, farmer
Golding John, Cross Bow
Tuffs William, farmer
SOTTERLEY is a village and parish, in Wangford hundred, union, and rural deanery, Beccles county court district, archdeaconry of Suffolk, and diocese of Norwicb, East Suffolk, 5 miles south-east from Beccles, 7 north-east from Halesworth, and 4 north from Wangford. The church of St. Margaret is situated in the park; it is an ancient edifice, with a lofty square embattled tower, containing 2 bells; it consists of a nave, chancel, and a porch on the south side, and contains several ancient monuments of the Playter family, one of which has effigies of Sir Thomns Playter and his two wives at prayer, with figures of their 22 children. Sir Thomas was lord of the manor in 1623, but the title is now extinct. The registrar dates from 1547. The living is a rectory, annual value 295, with residence and 23 acres of glebe land, in the patronage of Frederick Barne, Esq., and held by the Rev. Sayer Stone Warmoll, B.A., of Queen's College, Oxford. Sotterley Park, the seat of Frederick Barne, Esq., D.L., is a noble mansion, built about the year 1744, and is surrounded by a well wooded park of about 400 acres. Frederick Barne, Esq., is lord of the manor and sole landowner. There is a charity, derived from the rent of land, called Poor Land, amounting to 4 10s. per annum ; also an allotment of 5 acres, awarded at the enclosure, which lets for 9 per annum. There is also a Parochial school for the education of children, supported by voluntary contributions. The population in 1861 was 231, and the area is 1,593 acres.
Parish Clerk, James Doddington.
Letters received through Wangford, which is the nearest money order office.

Barne Frederick, esq. D.L.Sotterley park
Warmoll Rev. Sayer Stone, B.A. [rector], Rectory

COMMERCIAL.
Benns Robert, miller
Briggs Chester, Falcon, & blacksmith
liurgess William, farmer
Doddington James, jun. brick maker
Doddington James, sen. former
Hicks (Mrs.), Jane, farmer
Mann & Cross, farmers
Mole Nathaniel, wheelwright
Walling Robert, farmer
Wells Alfred, farmer
West Phoebe (Miss), shopkeeper


And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:17:21 GMT