Suffolk and Pub History in progress

Search UK, and London. Try the NEW London 1832 street directory

History of Suffolk - Somerleyton 1865

Post Office Directory of 1865.

For a considerable more detail and Suffolk Pubs, visit my other historical Pub sites, including Suffolk Villages & Towns

SOMERLEYTON is a parish, railway station, and pleasant village, near the Lowestoft branch railway and navigable Waveney, in Mutford and Lothingland incorporation and hundred, Lowestoft county court district, rural deanery of Lothingland, archdeaconry of Suffolk, and diocese of Norwich, East Suffolk, 131 ½ miles from London, 8 south from Yarmouth, 10 from Beccles, and 5 ½ north-west from Lowestoft. The church of St. Mary is a neat building, with a square tower and pinnacles supported by buttresses, and possesses 5 bells: it has a nave and chancel, and a porch on the south side: this church was rebuilt in 1854, at the sole expense of Sir Samuel Morton Peto, Bart., M.P. The register dates from 1558. The living is a rectory, tithes commuted at £350 per annum, with 44 acres of glebe land, and residence, in the gift of Charles Steward, Esq., and held by the Rev. Edmund Missenden Love, M.A.; the Rev. Francis Conway Steward, B.A., is curate. R. H. Reeve, Esq., is lord of the manor. The Hall, the seat of Sir F. Crossley, Bart., M.P., is a large Elizabethan mansion, pleasantly situated in an extensive park. Here is a village school for boys and girls, endowed with £22 a year, and residence for the mistress, by the late lord of the manor, Lord Sydney Godolphin Osborne, who has also founded other charities. Commodious schools for boys and girls, together with a Baptist chapel, were erected at the sole expense of Sir S. M. Peto, Bart., M.P. Here is an extensive manufactory of brick, tile, and earthenware, in the occupation of and carried on by Lucas Brothers, the eminent contractors of London, Norwich and Lowestoft. The area is 1,410 acres, and the population in 1861 was 621.
Parish Clerk, James Crouchen.
POST OFFICE.—John Flatman, receiver. Letters received' from Lowestoft at 9 a.m.; dispatched at 3.45 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Lowestoft
Railway Station, William Platford, master
British, George Robert Rlx, master; Miss Elizabeth Peckham, mistress
Parochial, Miss Sarah Crisp, mistress

Crossley Sir Francis, bart. M.P. The Hall
Daniels Rev. Charles [Baptist]
Hillyer Rev. Charles
Love Rev. Edmund Missenden, M.A., J.P. Rectory
Steward Rev. Francis Conway, B.A. [curate]
Crouchen Henry, tailor
Crouchen James, boot maker
Ellis Hopeful, market gardener
Farrow Martha (Miss), beer retailer
Farrow Thomas, boot maker
Flatman John, shopkeeper
Flowerday Maria (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Hammant Robert Crick, farmer
Heavers Benjamin, cooper
Howard James, farm bailiff
Kittle Jeremiah, blacksmith
Kittle Robert, jun. market gardener
Kittle Robert, sen. farmer
Lucas Bros, brick & tile makers (Daniel Knights, manager)
Pope William, farmer
Price Charles, agent to Sir F. Crossley, bart. M.P. The Green
Read James, blacksmith
Roberts Jabez, bricklayer
Roll John, Duke's Head, & farmer
Simnet Samuel, boot maker
Welton James, wherry owner

And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:12:13 GMT