• Home
  • Cosford Database
  • London Pub History
  • Random Pub History
  • London Pubology
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Pub history in progress
  • Pub history south & west
  • WW1 gallantry research
  • WW1 regimental history
  • Some ads & my pub pages

    Suffolk and Pub History in progress

    Suffolk and UK Pub History in progress

    Search ME by surname, address or pub name

    Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

    Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

    Snape public houses & Snape in 1865

    SNAPE in 1874  is a. small village, on a pleasant acclivity, north of the river Alde, 5 miles W.N.W. of Aldeburgh, and 8 miles S. by E. of Saxmundham, in Plomesgate Union and Framlingham and Saxmundham County Court district. Its parish contains 546 inhabitants, and 2100 acres of land, including the hamlet of Snape Bridge, about a mile S. of the church, and a quarter of a mile south of the village, or Snape street ; where there is a good bridge, and a commodious wharf and warehouses, up to which the Alde is navigable for vessels of 100 tons burthen. About 17,000 quarters of barley are shipped here yearly for London and other markets, by Mr. Newson Garrett, who has near the Bridge large warehouses, an extensive malting house, and the buildings on the south side being in the hamlet of Dunningworth. and parish of Tunstall. A horse fair is held at Snape Bridge on the 11th of August. At a short distance west of the bridge is the site of Snape Priory, which was founded for Black Canons, in 1099, by William Martell, Albreda his wife, and Jefferey their son, and dedicated to the Virgin Mary. They endowed it with the manor of Snape, including the benefit of wrecks of the sea from Thorp to Orfordness; and gave it as a cell to the Abbey of Colchester. But upon complaint made by the Countess of Suffolk, that the abbot of Colchester did not maintain a sufficient number of religious in it, accordin to the wills of the founders, it was, by a bull of Pope Boniface IX., made couventual, and exempted rem subjection to Colchester. William de la Pole, Earl of Suffolk, in the reign of Henry VI., designed to have refounded it, and for a short period, in 1500, it was a. cell to Butley. It was one of the monasteries suppressed in 1524, and given to Cardinal Wolsey for the endowment of his college at Ipswich. After the Cardinal's fall, in 1530, it was granted by Henry VIII. to Thomas, Duke of Norfolk, and was then of the yearly value of 99. 1s. 11d. Nothing now remains of this priory, except some of its stones in the walls and outbuildings of the farm-house, called the Abbey, which has been more than a century in the occupation of the Groom family, who, about the year 1842, dug up many of the foundations, and found some ancient coins, tiles, and skeletons. A bed of oysters was found, some years ago, about five yards below the surface. The trustees under the will of the late Col. R. W. Vyse are now owners of the Abbey, Rookery, and other farms, and also lords of the manor, in which the copyholds are subject to arbitrary fines. The other principal landowners are William Long, Esq., A. Borrett, Esq., and Mr. John Scarlett, of London. The church (St. John the Baptist) stands on a bold eminence, a. mile N. of the village, and has a lofty tower, and a very ancient and highly ornamented font, on which are sculptured an assemblage of kings, prelates, and birds, standing on pedestals. The fabric was repaired, and a new gallery erected at the west end, about the year 1844, at a cost of about 300. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at 5. 55. 7d., is consolidated with Friston.  The vicarial tithes were commuted in 1848, for 124. 4s. 9d. per annum. A PRIMITIVE Methodist Chapel. was built in 1862. In 1802, the Rev. J. Lambert left 200, the interest thereof to be distributed yearly at Christmas among poor housekeepers of Sharpe, not receiving parochial relief. This legacy is vested in 250 three per cent. consols. The school, near the Church, was built in 1836, by William Long , Esq., and is attended by about 90 children, who pay 1d. to 3d. each per week.

    Post Office at Mr Charles Lambard's.
    Letters arrive at 7.45 a.m. from, and are despatched at 6 pm. to Wickham Market, but Saxmundham is the nearest Money Order Office.

    Backham Thomas, thatcher
    Barnes Thomas, farmer, Rookery
    Burt Jonathan, baker
    Easter Robert, parish clerk and assistant overseer
    Ellenger Samuel, black and general smith and machinist
    Frost Robert and Mrs Ann, National school teachers
    Garrett Newson, Esq. J.P. maltster and corn merchant, The Ferns, Snape Bridge ; & Aldbro’ & London
    Girling Thomas W. corn and coal merchant, Snape Bridge
    Gooch Samuel, veterinary surgeon, & vict. Plough & Sail, Snape Bridge
    Groom Charles, farmer, Abbey
    Groom Chas. jun. farmer, Snape commn
    Groom Mr George
    Hambling Mrs Isabella, Sycamore cottage
    Hambling James, farmer, Hall farm
    Hambling William Fenton, grocer and draper, etc
    Hillen Benjamin, farmer
    Hillen James, farmer, Church farm
    Hillen John, shoemaker
    Hudson John, farmer
    Kerridge Isaac, farmer, grocer and beerhouse
    Kett William Scarff, miller and corn merchant
    Knevett Abraham, boot & shoe maker
    Lambard Chas. shoemkr. & postmaster
    Leach Edward, wheelwright
    Llewellyn Arthur, inland revenue officer, Snape Bridge
    Markin William, corn miller
    Olding J ames, brick and tile maker
    Pryke Daniel George, vict. Crown
    Rackham William, butcher
    Read Mrs. farmer
    Rose J . shopkeeper
    Stoner George, grocer
    Watson Charles, tailor
    Carrier : Robert Knights, to Woodbridge, Monday & Thursday; and Ipswich, Saturday


  • Home page
  • Contact Email :
  • Email
  • Home
  • Pub Research
  • London & Home counties :
  • London Pub History
  • Essex
  • Hertfordshire
  • Kent
  • Middlesex
  • Sussex
  • Surrey
  • Berkshire
  • Buckinghamshire
  • East Anglia:
  • Bedfordshire
  • Cambridgeshire
  • Huntingdonshire
  • Lincolnshire
  • Rutland
  • Suffolk
  • Northamptonshire
  • South & South West :
  • Cornwall
  • Devon
  • Dorset
  • Gloucestershire
  • Hampshire
  • Isle of Wight
  • Oxfordshire
  • Somerset
  • Wiltshire
  • North & Midlands :
  • Lincolnshire
  • Cumberland
  • Derbyshire
  • Durham
  • Lancashire
  • Leicestershire
  • Northumberland
  • Nottinghhamshire
  • Shropshire
  • Staffordshire
  • Warwickshire
  • Yorkshire
  • Research :
  • Pub Research
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Wetherspoons Pubs
  • Grand Junction Canal Pub History
  • Pub history on the River Thames
  • Maps of the UK
  • Anatomy Act 1832
  • BIG Site Map
  • Whats New?
  • London Pubology
  • Need a Researcher?

  • And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:12:16 GMT