Suffolk and Pub History in progress

Search UK, and London. Try the NEW London 1832 street directory

History of Suffolk - Rumburgh 1865

Post Office Directory of 1865.

For a considerable more detail and Suffolk Pubs, visit my other historical Pub sites, including Suffolk Villages & Towns

RUMBURGH is a parish and village, in Blything hundred and union, Halesworth county court district, Dunwich rural deanery, Suffolk archdeaconry, and Norwich diocese, East Suffolk, 4 miles north-west from Halesworth, and 6 south from Bungay. The church of St. Michael is an old and curiously built white edifice, with short tower, containing 5 bells. The parish register dates from the year 1552. The living is a perpetual curacy, consolidated with that of South Elmham St. Michael, joint annual value £145, in the patronage of George Durrant, Esq., and held by the Rev. Reginald Norman Durrant, M.A., OF Emmanuel College, Cambridge, who resides at South Elmham All Saints. The town lands consist of 47 acres, which, together with other parish property, yield about £68 per annum: these funds are applicable to the repairs of the church, the support of a day school, and coals for the poor. The school is supported by a Government grant, voluntary subscriptions, and the parish funds, and is under a certificated master on the National principle: it is commodious, and for children of both sexes. The Wesleyans have a chapel. Here was formerly a Benedictine priory, founded by the monks of Hulme in 1065, and dedicated to St. Michael and St. Felix: some of its remains may be seen at the abbey, now converted into a farmhouse, the residence of Mr. John Sadd. The chief owners are Sir Robert Shafto Adair, Bart., Mr. J. Grimsey, Mr. J. Manby, Mr. G. Calver, Mr. J. G. Thompson, Mr. F. Ling, and other smaller proprietors. The soil is clay, with subsoil of clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans, and turnips. The population in 1861 was 405, the area is 1,502a. 2r. 21 p.; the gross value is £2,797 5s., and the rateable value, £2,397 10s.
Parish Clerk, John Blowers.
POST OFFICE.óJohn Blowers, receiver. Letters arrive from Halesworth at 8.20 a.m. & dispatched at 5.15 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Halesworth
Parochial School, John Vincent Thomas, master; Mrs. Emily Thomas, mistress

Baker Elizabeth (Mrs.), dairy
Banks John, farmer
Bedingfield Charles, shopkeeper
Brown George, farmer
Buck John & James, farmers
Cable Ingate William, farmer
Cable William, pork butcher
Calver John, farmer
Calver Samuel, farmer
Chipperfield Charles, tailor & shopkeepr
Chipperfield Richard, farmer
Cornish Charles, farmer
Cutts James, farmer
Cutts John, carpenter
Fairhead James, farmer
Garrod William, carpenter
Green Onkly John, coach builder & implement maker, & at Hurlestone
Howlett Rushmer, farmer
Ingate Robert, miller
Ling Edmund, farmer
Mingay Mary Ann (Mrs.), Buck
Mower Benjamin, farmer
Poppy Samuel, cattle dealer
Racfchnm William, farmer
Sadd John, farmer & landowner, Abbey
Sadler Benjamin, shoe maker
Salter William, farmer
Smith John, shopkeeper
Spall David, farmer
Spall James Smith, farmer
Strathern Fairley Brisbane, maltster, & at Halesworth
Thompson John Gibbon, farmer
Winter William, blacksmith

And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:13:06 GMT