Suffolk and Pub History in progress

Search UK, and London. Try the NEW London 1832 street directory

History of Suffolk - Rishangles 1865

Post Office Directory of 1865.

For a considerable more detail and Suffolk Pubs, visit my other historical Pub sites, including Suffolk Villages & Towns

RISHANGLES is a parish and village, in Hartismere union, rural deanery, and hundred, Eye county court district, Suffolk archdeaconry, and diocese of Norwich, East Suffolk, 17 miles north from Ipswich, 7 east from Finningham and Mellis stations, 4 from Debenham north-west, and 4 south from Eye. The church of St. Margaret is of Gothic architecture, erected in the latter part of the fifteenth century, with
chancel, and square tower and 3 bells, the whole faced with flint stones, and capable of holding 200 persons. The register commences from 1593. The living is a rectory, annual value £323, with modern residence and 72 acres of glebe, in the gift of T. II. Wilkinson, Esq., of Ixworth, and held by the Rev. Hyam Burn, LL.B., of St. Peter's College, Cambridge, canon of Brecon. There is a Baptist chapel. F. Hayward, Esq., of Needham Market, is lord of the manor, and the land principally belongs to Lord Henniker, M.P., E.Chenery, Esq., Eye, N. Barnadiston. Esq., of Cavendish, near Sudbury, and others. The population in 1861 was 235, and the area is 718 acres; the gross estimated rental is £l,387, and the rateable value £1,239.
Parish Clerk, John Runacres.
POST OFFICE.óRobert Keen, receiver. Letters arrive from Eye at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 5.30 p.m. Eye is the nearest money order office & post office savings bank

Burn Rev. Canon Hyam, LL.D. [rector], The Parsonage

Barker Daniel, farmer
Canham John, coach maker
Capon Philip, farmer
Capon Robert, farmer
Cook William, farmer & assistant overseer
Fisk Benjamin, brick & tile maker
Hammond James, pig dealer
Keen Robert, shopkeeper
Leggett William, farmer, Backs hall
Ling Henry, farmer, Wood farm
Moore Thomas, cattle dealer
Mortimer Eli, farmer
Robinson Thomas, Swan, & hay & straw dealer
Sharman Henry, miller
Stebbing John, gardener
Stringer William, boot & shoe maker

And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:14:41 GMT