Suffolk and Pub History in progress

Search UK, and London. Try the NEW London 1832 street directory

History of Suffolk - Risby 1865

Post Office Directory of 1865. & in 1844

For a considerable more detail and Suffolk Pubs, visit my other historical Pub sites, including Suffolk Villages & Towns

RISBY is a parish and village, in the union, hundred, and rural deanery of Thingoe, county court district of Bury St. Edmund's, archdeaconry of Sudbury, diocese of Ely, West Suffolk, about 4 miles west-by-north from Bury St. Edmund's, near the high road from the latter place to Newmarket, and one mile north from the Saxham station. The church of St. Giles, an ancient edifice, has nave, chancel, and round tower with 3 bells: it was repewed in 1842: a handsome carved screen divides the nave from the chancel: there are tablets to the Danby, Wastell, and Spark families. The late Baron Alderson was buried here in 1857. The living is a rectory, united with Fornham St. Genevieve, joint annual value £750, with residence, and 20 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held by the Rev. Thos. Edward Abraham, M.A., of Balliol College, Oxford, appointed in 1863. There is a Sunday school in the village. Sir Thos. Rokewood Gage, Bart., is lord of the manor; the Messrs. Wastell and Cottingham are the chief landowners. There are some small charities, which are distributed by the rector and churchwarden; also 150 acres of land, upon which the poor of the parish have a right to cut furze for firing. The population in 1861 was 427, and the area about 2,801 acres.
Parish Clerk, Robert Leonard.
POST OFFICE.—Thomas Orridge, receiver. Letters arrive from Bury St. Edmund's at 8.30 a.m.; dispatched at 6.30 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Bury
Abraham Rev. Thomas Edward, M.A., J.P. Rectory Sutton Mrs
Wastell Rev. John Daniel, M.A
Atkin William, shopkeeper
Blythe Clement, blacksmith
Cottingham John, farmer, Risby place
Drake Edward, butcher
Eagle Charles, farmer
Fcnton James, shopkeeper
Fenton Thomas, market gardener
Fenton William, baker & beer retailer
Kenibull George, farmer
Orridge Thomas, blacksmith
Paine John Denton, farmer, Quays

And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:13:22 GMT