• Home
  • Cosford Database
  • London Pub History
  • Random Pub History
  • London Pubology
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Pub history in progress
  • Pub history south & west
  • WW1 gallantry research
  • WW1 regimental history
  • UK Pub History in progress

    UK Pub History in progress

    Search ME by surname, address or pub name

    Ringsfield, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

    Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

    Ringsfield Public Houses & 1865 directory

    RINGSFIELD parish in 1844, has its church and a few farm houses in a secluded valley, 2 1/2 miles S.S.W. of Beccles, and 5 miles E. by S. of Bungay, and a larger assemblage of cottages and houses at the Crossroads, about a mile further to the south, overlooking the vale of another rivulet, near the small hamlet of LITTLE REDISHAM, which was anciently a separate parish, but has long been consolidated with Ringsfield, though there are still some remains of its church, in a field, fenced round with wooden palisades. Little Redisham Hall, the pleasant seat of John Garden, Esq., is a neat modern mansion, on a bold acclivity, 4 miles S.S.W. of Beccles, and a quarter of a mile south of the ruins of the church. The parish of Ringsfield, including this hamlet, comprises 311 inhabitants, and about 1700 acres of land. John Garden, Esq., is lord of the manor, and purchased Little Redisham of the late Robert Sparrow, Esq. The Earl of Gosford, Richard Bohun, Esq., Col. Bence, A. Micklethwaite, Esq., Mrs. Hobbs, and a few smaller owners have estates in the parish. Ringsfield Church (All Saints) is an ancient thatched structure, and contains several monuments, upon one of which, inlaid with brass, are effigies of Nicholas Garneys and his wife. The benefice is a rectory, with that of Little Redisham annexed to it, valued in K.B. at 12, and in 1835 at 488. Edward Postle, Esq., is patron, and the Rev. Frederick Leathes, of Reedham, Norfolk, is the incumbent, and has a good Rectory House and 36 acres of glebe, occupied by the curate.

    Marked + are at the Cross roads.
    Garden John, Esq. Little Redisham Hall
    + Battram Robert, vict. and hurdle maker, Horse Shoes
    + Battram William, hurdle maker
    + Bezant James, blacksmith
    + Calver Manning, bricklayer
    Colls Rev Thomas Arthur, curate, Rectory
    + Harvey Elijah, shopkeeper
    + Howlett Benjamin, wheelwright
    + Mobbs Mrs Martha
    + Pratt Philip, shoemaker
    FARMERS.
    Balls Thomas
    Banyard James
    Blomneld John
    Chandler John
    George William & Rt
    Holland Robert
    Mathews Samuel
    Skoulding Fras.
    Wilson William

  • Home page
  • Contact Email :
  • Email
  • Home
  • Pub Research
  • London & Home counties :
  • London Pub History
  • Essex
  • Hertfordshire
  • Kent
  • Middlesex
  • Sussex
  • Surrey
  • Berkshire
  • Buckinghamshire
  • East Anglia:
  • Bedfordshire
  • Cambridgeshire
  • Huntingdonshire
  • Lincolnshire
  • Rutland
  • Suffolk
  • Northamptonshire
  • South & South West :
  • Cornwall
  • Devon
  • Dorset
  • Gloucestershire
  • Hampshire
  • Isle of Wight
  • Oxfordshire
  • Somerset
  • Wiltshire
  • North & Midlands :
  • Lincolnshire
  • Cumberland
  • Derbyshire
  • Durham
  • Lancashire
  • Leicestershire
  • Northumberland
  • Nottinghhamshire
  • Shropshire
  • Staffordshire
  • Warwickshire
  • Yorkshire
  • Research :
  • Pub Research
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Wetherspoons Pubs
  • Grand Junction Canal Pub History
  • Pub history on the River Thames
  • Maps of the UK
  • Anatomy Act 1832
  • BIG Site Map
  • Whats New?
  • London Pubology
  • Need a Researcher?

  • And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:14:14 GMT