• Home
  • Cosford Database
  • London Pub History
  • Random Pub History
  • London Pubology
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Pub history in progress
  • Pub history south & west
  • WW1 gallantry research
  • WW1 regimental history
  • UK Pub History in progress

    UK Pub History in progress

    Search ME by surname, address or pub name

    Poslingford, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

    Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

    Poslingford Public Houses  & 1865 Post Office Directory


    POSLINGFORD in 1844, is a small pleasant village, 2 1/2 miles N. by E. of Clare, has in its parish 343 souls, and 2500 acres of land, including several scattered houses, and the small hamlet of CHIPLEY, which had a small abbey or priory, 1 1/2 mile N.W. of Poslingford, founded at an early period, and annexed to Stoke College in 1468. The Abbey Farm has an ancient house, and belongs to Sir Robert Harland. Poslingford Park, 1 mile N. of the village, has a handsome mansion, and is the seat and property of Lieut.-Col. Thomas Weston; but Samuel Ware, Esq., is lord of the manor; and the Rev. J. W. Stribling, J. Snell, T. Wade, and a few smaller owners, have estates in the parish. The land is all freehold, and was anciently the lordship of Ralph Baynard. The Church is a small ancient structure, with a tower and five bells, and was repaired in 1839, when a small gallery was erected. It was appropriated to Dunmow Priory, Essex, and granted, in the 28th of Henry VIII., to Robert, Earl of Sussex. Lieut.-Col. T. Weston is impropriator of the rectory, and patron of the discharged vicarage, which is valued in K.B. at 6. 10s., and is now enjoyed by the Rev. William L. Suttaby, M.A., who has 9a. of glebe, and a yearly modus of 100, awarded in 1841, when the rectorial tithes were commuted for 199 per annum. The Church and Poor's Estate comprises 7a. 3r. of land, which has been held from ancient time for the reparation of the church, and the relief of the poor; and two cottages, with gardens, purchased in 1675, with 6 belonging to the poor, and 6 given by the inhabitants. The land and cottages are let for about 18 a year, which is mostly expended in the service of the church. The Poor's Cottage, is in two tenements occupied by persons put in by the overseers. In 1668, William Cadge charged a farm called Lynns with the payment of 20s. a year, for distribution among the poor of Poslingford.
    Codling Frederick, blacksmith
    Fitch Thos. grocer and draper
    Suttaby Rev William Leonard, M.A. Vicarage
    Weston Lieut.-Col. Thomas, Poslingford Park
    FARMERS.
    Ambrose John, New House
    Boreham Joseph, Bulley Green
    Fisher James, Clopten Hall
    Hale John & Chas. Poslingford Hall
    Hunt Sarah, Wentford House
    Raymond John
    Robinson Thos. (steward) Chipley Abbey
    Rutter George, Flax Farm
    Wade Thomas, Hills Farm
    Ward Robert, (and beerhouse keeper)


  • Home page
  • Contact Email :
  • Email
  • Home
  • Pub Research
  • London & Home counties :
  • London Pub History
  • Essex
  • Hertfordshire
  • Kent
  • Middlesex
  • Sussex
  • Surrey
  • Berkshire
  • Buckinghamshire
  • East Anglia:
  • Bedfordshire
  • Cambridgeshire
  • Huntingdonshire
  • Lincolnshire
  • Rutland
  • Suffolk
  • Northamptonshire
  • South & South West :
  • Cornwall
  • Devon
  • Dorset
  • Gloucestershire
  • Hampshire
  • Isle of Wight
  • Oxfordshire
  • Somerset
  • Wiltshire
  • North & Midlands :
  • Lincolnshire
  • Cumberland
  • Derbyshire
  • Durham
  • Lancashire
  • Leicestershire
  • Northumberland
  • Nottinghhamshire
  • Shropshire
  • Staffordshire
  • Warwickshire
  • Yorkshire
  • Research :
  • Pub Research
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Wetherspoons Pubs
  • Grand Junction Canal Pub History
  • Pub history on the River Thames
  • Maps of the UK
  • Anatomy Act 1832
  • BIG Site Map
  • Whats New?
  • London Pubology
  • Need a Researcher?

  • And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:11:40 GMT