Suffolk and Pub History in progress

Search UK, and London. Try the NEW London 1832 street directory

History of Suffolk - Occold 1865

Post Office Directory of 1865.

For a considerable more detail and Suffolk Pubs, visit my other historical Pub sites, including Suffolk Villages & Towns

OCCOLD is a village and parish, in Hartismere hundred, rural deanery and union, county court district of Eye, Suffolk archdeaconry, Norwich diocese, West Suffolk, 5 miles
south-east from Mollis station, 96 from London, and 2 south from Eye. The church of St. Michael was originally a Norman building, with square embattled tower, clock, and
Shells: it was repaired in 1854, re-seated and re-roofed, and contains centre aisle, porch, and a handsome chancel: the tower was built in 1426, but has since undergone considerable alterations. The register commences from 1681. The living is a rectory, annual value £405, with 46 acres of glebe land and residence, in the gift of, and held by, the Rev. Horatio Todd, M.A., of Queen's College, Oxford, who resides in the rectory house, built in 1846. There is a Baptist chapel. The land is fertile. The Rev. Charles Chapman is lord of the manor of Occold Hall; and Mr. James Breese is lord of Benningham Hall, and the present owner and occupier. A National school was erected by subscription in 1849.
There are charities of the value of £58 per annum, arising from land left by William Lee. likewise other land, which produces £62 per annum, left by John Henman, part of which is distributed in coals at Christmas; one fourth of the remainder is applied to the repairs of the church, &c., one half to the poor, and the remaining portion to the repairs of the highways. The population in 1861 was 570, and the area is 1,479 acres, including the hamlet of Benningham Green; the gross estimated rental is £3,062, and the rateable value £2,699. Parish Clerk, Noah Fulcher.
Letters through Eye, which is the nearest money order office & post office savings bank; wall letterbox near Mr. Sherman's, draper, cleared week days at 6.15 p.m. Sundays, 11.30a.m. National School, Miss Annie Moore, mistress
CARRIES TO IPSWICH.óGeorge Arboun, tuesdays & fridays, from his house to ' Sea Horse,' Ipswich

Orford Robert Baker, esq. Occold hall
Sherman Mrs. Red house
Todd Rev. Horatio, M.A. [rector], The Parsonage

Breese James, farmer & landowner, Benningham hall
Brundle Cornelius, farmer & carpenter
Brundle George (Mrs.), carpenter
Brundle Thomas, tailor
Cnpon James, beer retailer, tailor & farmer
Capon Robert, boot & shoe maker
Capon Samuel, boot maker, farmer, & assistant overseer
Durrant Henry, sawyer
Eldred John, hawker & shopkeeper
Everson John, blacksmith & edge tool maker
Everson John, shopkeeper
Evcrson Thomas, blacksmith & farmer
Francis William, boot & shoe maker
Harvey John, gardener
Hines Edgar, hurdle maker & thatcher
Hunt Edwin Benjamin, farmer
Johnson George, farmer
Last Henry, farmer & machinist
Last William, farmer
Marshall Robert, farmer
Moyse Meadows, boot slice maker
Orford Robert Baker, farmer, & brick & tile manufacturer. The Hall
Palmer William, wheelwright
Peck William, maltster & farmer
Read Robert, farmer & landowner
Rouse James, miller & farmer
Sherman George, grocer & tea dealer, linen & woollen draper, silk mercer & hatter
Ship John, shoe maker
Vincent Elijah, Bottle inn & bricklayer
Wells Edgar, farmer
Wells Henry, auctioneer, land agent & farmer, White house, & at Eye
Whatling William, farmer

And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:17:11 GMT