Suffolk and Pub History in progress

Search UK, and London. Try the NEW London 1832 street directory

History of Suffolk - Oakley 1865

Post Office Directory of 1865.

For a considerable more detail and Suffolk Pubs, visit my other historical Pub sites, including Suffolk Villages & Towns

OAKLEY is a small village and parish, in the Hartismere hundred, union and rural deanery, county court district and borough of Eye, Suffolk archdeaconry, diocese of Norwich, West Suffolk, situate in the valley of the Waveney, 2 miles south-east from Diss station, 97 from London, and 3 north-east from Eye. The church of St. Nicholas stands on an eminence, half a mile from the village, has a square tower, nave and chancel. The register commences in 1538. The living is a rectory, annexed to that of Brome, joint annual value 560, in the gift of Sir E. C. Kerrison, Bart., M.P., and held by the Rev. George Mapletoft Paterson, M.A., of Lincoln College, Oxford. Sir Edward Clarence Kerrison, Bart., M.p., who is lord of the manor, owns the whole of the property (except five small cottages). Near Oakley Park is situate Oakley House, the residence of Admiral Sir Baldwin W. Walker, Bart., c.c.B., J.P. The town land lets for 22 per annum, the proceeds of which are appropriated to the use of the church. The population in 1861 was 332; the area is 1,280 acres; the gross estimated rental is 2,203, and the rateable value 1,971.
Parish Clerk, Emmanuel Atkins.
Letters received through Scole by foot post. There is a wall letter box in Oakley street, cleared at 6.15 p.m. on week days, & at 9.45 a.m. on Sundays. The nearest money order office & post office savings bank is at Eye
Assistant Overseer, William Clarke, The Street
Walker Admiral Sir Baldwin Wake, bart. E.C.B., J.P. Oakley house

Capon Stephen, farmer
Chaney William, farmer, The Street
Clarke William, grocer & assistant overseer, The Street
Day Geo. carpenter & cooper, The Street
Elsegood William, boot & shoe maker
Flatt Richard, farmer
Fulshaw Henry, carpenter
Horne William, farm bailiff to Sir E C. Kerrison, bart. M.p. Brome hall
Howlett John, farmer
Hunt Seymour, carpenter. The Street
Morley John, tailor, The Street
Ling Lewis, Green Man, & farmer, The Street
Pcttit Mark, basket maker & cooper, The Street
Rumsbv John, farmer
Rush William, farmer
Sherman Mary (Mrs.), farmer
Whatling William, farmer

And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:12:16 GMT