Suffolk and Pub History in progress

Search UK, and London. Try the NEW London 1832 street directory

History of Suffolk - Moulton 1865

Post Office Directory of 1865.

For a considerable more detail and Suffolk Pubs, visit my other historical Pub sites, including Suffolk Villages & Towns

MOULTON is a pleasant village and parish, in Risbridge hundred, Newmarket union, Fordham rural deanery, Sudbury archdeaconry, Ely diocese, West Suffolk, 4 miles east from Newmarket, 10 west from Bury St. Edmund's, and 2 south from Kennet railway station, on the Cambridge and Bury branch of the Great Eastern railway, situated in a small valley. This was once a market town. The church of St Peter is a handsome stone building, in the Perpendicular style of architecture, thoroughly restored in 1850-51, at an expense of upwards of £2,000, defrayed principally by the present rector: it has a lofty tower containing 5 bells, nave, chancel, side aisles, porch, organ, and register chest, with documents dating from the reign of Queen Elizabeth. The living is a rectory and vicarage, annual value about £700, with residence, and 170 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Master and Fellows of Christ's college, Cambridge; the Rev. Edmund Mortlock, B.D., of that college, is the incumbent, and the Rev. John Murray, M.A., is curate. There is an excellent Parochial school, built in 1849, which is free to all the children in the parish: it was built, and is entirely supported, by the rector. The Independents have a small chapel. The Duke of Rutland is lord of the manor and chief landowner, but there are a few smaller proprietors. The soil is principally of a sandy nature ; subsoil, gravel and chalk. The crops are wheat, oats, barley, turnips, etc. The whole of this parish is in a high state of cultivation. Moulton Paddocks, or Fidgett, the residence of Major Fryer, J.P., is about a mile north from the church. There are several charities: a piece of land, called the Town Estate, for the repair of the church and bridges; Deynes charity, one fourth of which is distributed in money to the poor; Fuel land, consisting of 45 ½ acres; Herring money, which is distributed in bread; and Worthington's gift of £10, for which the vicar pays 5 per cent, interest. The population in 1861 was 518, and the area is 3,073 acres. Parish Clerk, James Goodchild.
POST OFFICE.—Robert B. Ransom, postmaster. Letters arrive from Newmarket at 8.10 a.m.; dispatched at 6 p.m. Newmarket is also the nearest money order office
Rectory Parochial School, Miss Mary Steele, mistress
Fryer Major, J.P. Fidgett
Hathaway Mr. William
Last Mr. Thomas
Mortlock Hev. Edmund, B.D. [rector]
Murray Rev. John, M.A. [curate]
Bailey James, shoe maker
Blinker John, beer retailer
Casburn Robert, shopkeeper
Gardner Thomas, farmer
Nunn Ellen (Mrs.), farmer
Osborn Charles, King's Head inn
Parsons Francis, farmer
Poulter Samuel, blacksmith
Ransom Robert B. shopkeeper & tailor
Silsby Robert, steward to Major Fryer
Staples Whiting, fanner
Turpin William P. farmer
Tweed Benjamin, carpenter
Wellsman John, maltster
Western W. Daniel, farmer
Woods John, farmer

And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:16:16 GMT