Suffolk and Pub History in progress

Search UK, and London. Try the NEW London 1832 street directory

History of Suffolk - Monks Eleigh 1865

Post Office Directory of 1865.

For a considerable more detail and Suffolk Pubs, visit my other historical Pub sites, including Suffolk Villages & Towns

MONKS ELEIGH is a village and parish, in Cosford union, Babergh hundred, Hadleigh county court district, and Ely diocese, West Suffolk; 8 miles north-east from Sudbury station, 76 from London, and 6 north-west from Hadleigh station. The church of St. Peter is a neat building, with a handsome tower containing 6 bells. The register dates from 1557. The living is a rectory, commuted value £570, with residence, in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury, and held by the Rev. Arthur Capel Job Wallace, M.A., of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge: the Rev. Joseph Barthorp Tweed, B.A., of the same college, is curate. The Dean and Chapter of Canterbury are lords of the manor. The annual value of the charities is about £13. In the village is a neat National school, erected in 1834; also a small Independent chapel. The population in 1861 was 678, and the extent is 2,099 acres.
Parish Clerk, James Ford.
POST OFPICE.—Henry Alldis, receiver. Letters from Bildestone arrive at 9 a.m,; dispatched at 6.30 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Lavenham
INSURANCE AGENT.—London, Henry Alldis
National School, Mrs. Mary Ann Cardy, mistress
Tweed Rev. Joseph Barthorp, B.A.. [curate]
Wallace Rev. Arthur Capel Job, M.A. [rector]

Alldis Ellen (Miss), school
Alldis Hy. grocer, draper & postmaster
Blomfield John, farmer
Bowers Robert, boot & shoe maker
Branford Daniel, blacksmith
Bugg Edward, beer retailer & carpenter
Bull Henry, grocer & harness maker
Cardy William, tailor
Clarke Sarah (Mrs.), miller
Deaves George, castrator
Durrant John, farmer
Gage Martha (Mrs.), farmer
Harris John, miller
Hawkins Robert, builder
Hawkins Samuel, beer retailer
Hazell George, farmer
Holder Walter, boot maker
King John, grocer
Makin Joseph, farmer
Manistre George, Red Lion inn
Parr William. beer retailer & wheelwright
Parson Freeman, steward to Mr. Isaac Strutt
Phillips George, veterinary surgeon
Ransom Albert, butcher
Hanson John, farmer
Rutiell William, boot & shoe maker
Russell Isaac, farmer
Strutt Isaac, farmer
Taylor Henry, farmer, Boyton hall
Westlake William, shopkeeper
Woodgate Richard, farmer
Wright Robert Underwood, maltster & farmer

And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:11:34 GMT