• Home
  • Cosford Database
  • London Pub History
  • Random Pub History
  • London Pubology
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Pub history in progress
  • Pub history south & west
  • WW1 gallantry research
  • WW1 regimental history
  • Some ads & my pub pages

    Suffolk and Pub History in progress

    Suffolk and UK Pub History in progress

    Search ME by surname, address or pub name

    Mettingham, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

    Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

    Mettingham Public Houses  & 1865 directory

    METTINGHAM in 1844, is a pleasant village on the southern acclivity of the vale of the Waveney, 2 miles E. of Bungay, and 4 miles W. of Beccles, basin its parish 409 souls, and 1706a. 1R. 16p. of fertile land. About half a mile south of the church are the ruins of METTINGHAM CASTLE, which was of considerable extent and strength, and was built by John de Norwich, who, in the 17th of Edward Ill., obtained permission to convert his house here into a castle; in which he also founded a COLLEGE, to which he had the king's license to translate the priests from his college at Raveningham. This college was dedicated to God and the Blessed Virgin, and consisted of a master and thirteen chaplains or fellows, who were endowed with the castle for their residence, and with the manors of Mettingham, Bungay Soke, and several others in Suffolk and Norfolk. They educated and maintained a number of boys at the annual charge of 28. Richard Shelton, the master, and nine fellows, subscribed to the king's supremacy in 1635, but were allowed to remain till 1542, when their revenues were valued at 202. 7s. 5d. per annum, and their possessions were granted to Sir Anthony Denny. The founder died in 1363, and left his estates to his grandson, whose cousin, Catherine de Brews, afterwards inherited, but having assumed the veil, her estates devolved to the Ufford family. After the dissolution of the college, Mettingham was purchased by the Buxton family, who sold it about 1660 to the Bacons, of whom it was purchased by the Hunts. From the latter, it descended to the Saffords In 1826, Samuel Safford, Esq., sold one moiety of his estates to Charles Day, Esq., of llketshall St. John. A great part of the parish of Mettingham belongs to various owners, and the remainder to the Rev. J. C. Safford, A.B., who is lord of the manor, impropriator of the rectory, and patron and incumbent of the vicarage, and has a neat modern mansion within the area of the castle ruins, pleasantly seated on a wellwooded lawn. From the remains of its shattered walls, the castle appears to have been an extensive quadrangular structure, of which the gate-house is still tolerably entire. The Church (All Saints) is an ancient fabric, with a round tower, and stands on a bold eminence overlooking the vale of the Waveney. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in K.B. at 6. 17s. 3d., and in 1835 at 140. The Town Estate is partly in Shipmeadow parish, and comprises a cottage, blacksmith's shop, 36a. of land, and two cattle-gates in Stow Fen. It is under the management of feoffees chosen by the parishioners, and has been vested from an early period for the payment of public charges of the parish, and the support of the poor. It is let for about 80 a year, of which a large portion is applied in the service of the church, and about 10 is distributed in coals among poor families.
    Cock Chas. shoemaker & parish clerk
    Dains Robert, wheelwright
    Parrington Joseph, Esq.
    Safford Rev Jag. Culling, A.B. Mettingham Castle
    Spalding Thomas, gentleman
    Warren Sidney, blacksmith

    Farmers. (* are owners)
    *Baley Jeremiah
    Bezant Esther
    Bird John
    CluTton Sarah
    * Culham Thomas
    Dains Widow
    * Draper George
    Durrant Samuel
    Peck Chas. Castle Farm
    Scarlett Francis
    Strange George Minns
    Sutton John
    * Tallent Ann J.
    * Tallent John Packard
    * Woods Mary

  • Home page
  • Contact Email :
  • Email
  • Home
  • Pub Research
  • London & Home counties :
  • London Pub History
  • Essex
  • Hertfordshire
  • Kent
  • Middlesex
  • Sussex
  • Surrey
  • Berkshire
  • Buckinghamshire
  • East Anglia:
  • Bedfordshire
  • Cambridgeshire
  • Huntingdonshire
  • Lincolnshire
  • Rutland
  • Suffolk
  • Northamptonshire
  • South & South West :
  • Cornwall
  • Devon
  • Dorset
  • Gloucestershire
  • Hampshire
  • Isle of Wight
  • Oxfordshire
  • Somerset
  • Wiltshire
  • North & Midlands :
  • Lincolnshire
  • Cumberland
  • Derbyshire
  • Durham
  • Lancashire
  • Leicestershire
  • Northumberland
  • Nottinghhamshire
  • Shropshire
  • Staffordshire
  • Warwickshire
  • Yorkshire
  • Research :
  • Pub Research
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Wetherspoons Pubs
  • Grand Junction Canal Pub History
  • Pub history on the River Thames
  • Maps of the UK
  • Anatomy Act 1832
  • BIG Site Map
  • Whats New?
  • London Pubology
  • Need a Researcher?

  • And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:15:23 GMT