Suffolk and Pub History in progress

Search UK, and London. Try the NEW London 1832 street directory

History of Suffolk - Marlesford 1865

Post Office Directory of 1865.

For a considerable more detail and Suffolk Pubs, visit my other historical Pub sites, including Suffolk Villages & Towns

MARLESFORD is a parish and village, in Plomesgate union, Woodbridge county court district, Loes hundred and rural deanery, archdeaconry of Suffolk, and diocese of Norwich, East Suffolk, on the river Ore, 5 miles south-west from Saxmundham, and 2 north-east from Wickham Market. The church of St. Andrew, which stands about a quarter of a mile on the north-west side of the village, is a low Saxon building, consisting of nave and aisle, and has a monument to the memory of the Alston family, bearing date 1641, and another to the memory of Lemuel Shuldham, son of William Shuldham, Esq., of Marlesford, late cornet of the Scots Greys, who fell at Waterloo on the 18th June, 1815: the tower is built of flint, supported by strong buttresses, and contains 4 bells. The living is a rectory, commuted tithe rent-charge 380 per annum, with 30 acres of glebe, and a Rectory-house in the vicinity of the church, in the gift of A. Arcedeckne, Esq., of Glevering Hall, and held by the Rev. George Henry Porter, M.A. The chief landowners are Miss Shuldham, who resides at the Hall, Lieut.-Col. Frederic William Schreiber, who holds the manor, the Earl of Guilford, A. Arcedeckne, Esq., and a few smaller owners. The only charities are that of 6 per annum from Sir Walter Devereux for the poor, payable out of an estate belonging to the Shuldham family; the interest of 180 per annum left by Thomas Kersey for the poor also; and 1s. weekly, from the late John Smith, for giving 12 small loaves away at the church on Sundays. Here are ozier beds and sandpits. The Framlingham branch of the East Suffolk Railway passes through the parish. The population in 1861 was 412, and the area 1,277 acres, of which 10 acres are unenclosed common.
Parish Clerk, Jacob Rouse.
Letters from Wickham Market by foot post delivered at 7 a.m.; dispatched at 7.20 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Wickham Market
Railway Station, Robert Saunders, station master
Cottingham Mrs
Porter Rev.Georg Henry, M.A.Rectory
Shuldham Miss, Marlesford hall

Beedon Thomas, carpenter
Bloss Robert, shopkeeper & broker
Boon Henry, farmer
Buxton Robert, farmer
Chambers William, farmer
Chandler Edwjp, corn, coal, & seed merchant
Clarke Henry, gardener
Cornish Titus, wheelwright
Cracknell Henry, farmer
Harvey Edward, farmer
Martin James, thatcher
Minter Henry, Bell
Pawsey Isaac, blacksmith
Smith John, beer retailer
Solomon John White, shoe shopkeeper
Stannard Benjamin, miller
Stannard James, farmer
Stocking John, carpenter & farmer
Walker George, farmer
Welton Robert, farmer
Wilkinson Elizabeth (Mrs.), farmer
Wilkinson George, farmer

And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:15:51 GMT