• Home
  • Cosford Database
  • London Pub History
  • Random Pub History
  • London Pubology
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Pub history in progress
  • Pub history south & west
  • WW1 gallantry research
  • WW1 regimental history
  • Some ads & my pub pages

    Suffolk and Pub History in progress

    Suffolk and UK Pub History in progress

    Search ME by surname, address or pub name

    Little Thurlow, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

    Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

    Little Thurlow Public Houses

    THURLOW, (LITTLE) in 1844 is a neat village, adjoining that of Great Thurlow, 4 1/2 miles N. by E. of Haverhill, has in its parish 422 souls, and 1357 acres of strong fertile iand. Mrs. Soame, of Bury, is lady of the manor, and owner of most of the soil, and the remainder belongs to the Rev, William Chafy, D.D., and a few smaller owners. The Hall, now a farm-house, on the west side of the vale, was built in the reign of Elizabeth, by Sir Stephen Soame, Knight, who had been lord mayor of London, and founded the school and almshouse here, as afterwards noticed. There is a monument to his memory in the Church, (St. Peter.) which has a tower and five bells, and was new pewed and repaired in 1843. The rectory, valued in K.B. at 7. 10s. 5d., and in 1835, at 401, is in the patronage of Mrs. Soame, and incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Crick, B.D., for whom the Rev. Frederick Crick, M.A., officiates. The present estimated yearly rental of the parish is 1859. 18s. 6d.
    Soames Almshouse and School:- In the 15th of James I., Sir Stephen Soame, Knt., by his will declared that an Almshouse, which he had built in Little Thurlow, should be for the habitation of eight poor unmarried persons, men and women, of the age of 64 years or upwards, and who should have been resident 24 years in Little Thurlow; but if so many could not be found here, he directed that the remainder might be chosen from Great Thurlow, or Wratting. He also ordered that the ninth room in the middle of the almshouse should be occupied by a person who should read prayers to the rest of the almspeople. He willed that his executors should purchase a yearly rent-charge of 30, to provide for the weekly payment of 14d. a week to each of the nine almspeople, and to supply them with eight loads of good faggots yearly, and with a gown each once in two years. And after reciting that he had built a Schoolhouse here, he declared that it should be employed as a free school for the parishes of Little and Great Thurlow, Great and Little Bradley, Wratting, Ketton, Hundon, and other parishes in Suffolk; and that the children should be taught by the master and usher in the English and Latin tongues, writing, and cyphering. By a codicil dated March 2nd, 1618, the testator charged the manor of Carlton, in Cambridgeshire, with the yearly rent-charges of 30 for the almshouse, and 30 for the school; and of the hither he directed 20 to be paid to the master, and 10 to the usher. By an indenture in the 1st of Queen Anne, the manor of Carlton was also charged with providing the faggots and gowns for the use of the almspeople, who are appointed by the owner of the said manor, and the minister and churchwardens of Little Thurlow. The school has attached to it apartments and a garden for the use of the master, who receives 30 a year, and teaches reading, writing, and arithmetic gratuitously to about 12 poor children nominated by the rector and churchwardens. No usher has been appointed for many years, and the salary of the usher was not paid till a few years ago, when the present owner of the manor of Carlton agreed to add it to the master's annuity. The Poor's Estate, given by Josiah Houghton, in 1693, consists of about 3a. of land, let for 5 a year, and the Town House, which is partly occupied by paupers, and partly let to three tenants at rents amounting to 4 a year. The rents are carried to the poor-rates, but they ought to be distributed among such poor inhabitants as do not receive parochial relief.
    THURLOW (LITTLE.)
    Baker Benjamin, surgeon
    Betts Benjamin, wheelwright
    Choat Mr Simon
    Collins Mr Rd.
    Crick Rev. Frederick, M.A. curate, Rectory
    Daniels James, grocer and draper
    Dearsley Joseph, corn miller
    Bench Capt. T.
    Farrow Hy. farrier
    French John, schoolmaster
    Lee Joshua, turner and shovel maker
    Neave Ezra, collar and harness maker
    Sargeant John, beerhouse keeper
    Smith Joseph, tailor
    Sparrow Thomas, victualler, Cock
    Trudgett George, butcher
    Vince William, grocer and draper
    Wakelin James, blacksmith
    Webb John, butcher
    Webb William Henry, veterinary surgeon

    FARMERS.
    Bailey Samuel
    Goodchild Joseph
    Howard Mary
    Osborne Alice
    Osborne William
    Shoemakers.
    Fitch James
    Fitch, Joseph
    Webb Henry
    CARRIERS.
    William Cockerton, to London, Wed.
    James Fitch, to Cambridge, Sat. and Bury, Wed.


  • Home page
  • Contact Email :
  • Email
  • Home
  • Pub Research
  • London & Home counties :
  • London Pub History
  • Essex
  • Hertfordshire
  • Kent
  • Middlesex
  • Sussex
  • Surrey
  • Berkshire
  • Buckinghamshire
  • East Anglia:
  • Bedfordshire
  • Cambridgeshire
  • Huntingdonshire
  • Lincolnshire
  • Rutland
  • Suffolk
  • Northamptonshire
  • South & South West :
  • Cornwall
  • Devon
  • Dorset
  • Gloucestershire
  • Hampshire
  • Isle of Wight
  • Oxfordshire
  • Somerset
  • Wiltshire
  • North & Midlands :
  • Lincolnshire
  • Cumberland
  • Derbyshire
  • Durham
  • Lancashire
  • Leicestershire
  • Northumberland
  • Nottinghhamshire
  • Shropshire
  • Staffordshire
  • Warwickshire
  • Yorkshire
  • Research :
  • Pub Research
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Wetherspoons Pubs
  • Grand Junction Canal Pub History
  • Pub history on the River Thames
  • Maps of the UK
  • Anatomy Act 1832
  • BIG Site Map
  • Whats New?
  • London Pubology
  • Need a Researcher?

  • And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:18:07 GMT