• Home
  • Cosford Database
  • London Pub History
  • Random Pub History
  • London Pubology
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Pub history in progress
  • Pub history south & west
  • WW1 gallantry research
  • WW1 regimental history
  • UK Pub History in progress

    UK Pub History in progress

    Search ME by surname, address or pub name

    Little Saxham, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

    Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

    Google maps of Little Saxham in the Thingoe Hundred show the following places:

    View Larger Map

    SAXHAM, (LITTLE) in 1844, 4 miles W. of Bury St. Edmund's, is a small scattered village, and parish, containing 230 souls, and about 1,200 acres of fertile land, all the property and manor of the Marquis of Bristol, who is also patron of the rectory, valued in K. B. at 8. l1s. 5d., and in 1835, at 300. The Rev. P. Wakeham is the incumbent. The Church (St. Nicholas) is an ancient fabric with a round tower, and contains elegant altar monuments and recumbent effigies of Lord Crofts and his lady. The Lucas, and after them the Crofts family,were seated here for a long period. Several of the latter received the honour of knighthood; and one of them, Sir Thomas Crofts, was high sheriff of Suffolk in the 36th of Elizabeth. His grandson, William Crofts, was a great sufferer for his loyalty to the Stuart family, and in consideration of his services, Charles II. created him a peer of the realm in 1658, by the title of Baron Crofts, of Saxham, which became extinct on his death, without issue, in 1677. The Hall, to which Lord Crofts added a grand apartment for the reception of Charles II., was probably built in the reign of Henry VII. It was pulled down in 1771, when much of its painted glass was inserted in the windows of the church. A yearly rent charge of 4 16s. is paid by the Marquis of Bristol, out of his estates in this parish, in satisfaction of bequests to the poor, amounting to about 90, and left by William Firmage, Lord Crofts, and William and Anthony Crofts, Esqrs. This rent charge is distributed in coals and flour, among the poor of the parish, together with the dividends of 289 12s. 6d. three per cent. Consols, purchased with 200 left by Mrs. Mary Green, in 1814. DIRECTORY
    Rev. Henry Ashington, curate;
    Mr. Thomas Rodwell, Honey-Hill;
    Elizabeth Cornell, farmer;
    Jas. Rodwell Kerry, farmer, Honey-Hill;
    and Catherine Jane Stutter, farmer.

     

  • Home page
  • Contact Email :
  • Email
  • Home
  • Pub Research
  • London & Home counties :
  • London Pub History
  • Essex
  • Hertfordshire
  • Kent
  • Middlesex
  • Sussex
  • Surrey
  • Berkshire
  • Buckinghamshire
  • East Anglia:
  • Bedfordshire
  • Cambridgeshire
  • Huntingdonshire
  • Lincolnshire
  • Rutland
  • Suffolk
  • Northamptonshire
  • South & South West :
  • Cornwall
  • Devon
  • Dorset
  • Gloucestershire
  • Hampshire
  • Isle of Wight
  • Oxfordshire
  • Somerset
  • Wiltshire
  • North & Midlands :
  • Lincolnshire
  • Cumberland
  • Derbyshire
  • Durham
  • Lancashire
  • Leicestershire
  • Northumberland
  • Nottinghhamshire
  • Shropshire
  • Staffordshire
  • Warwickshire
  • Yorkshire
  • Research :
  • Pub Research
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Wetherspoons Pubs
  • Grand Junction Canal Pub History
  • Pub history on the River Thames
  • Maps of the UK
  • Anatomy Act 1832
  • BIG Site Map
  • Whats New?
  • London Pubology
  • Need a Researcher?

  • And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:17:04 GMT