The History of Suffolk site

Search the London & UK Pub History site and Street directory by historical Pub name or street address. The Pub history site is a major historical street directory of London and the Southern area of the UK, listing many Pubs (either closed or open); and street name changes between about 1840 and about 1940.
Please Contact: Kevan with any updates and additions to the site.

Please help me out with mapping the Games for London - Rail Travel Accessibility in London in 2012, please. I need stories, pictures and feedback. This will all be added to the gamesforlondon.com site Thanks, Kevan

site search by freefind

History of Suffolk - Leiston 1865

Post Office Directory of 1865.

Sitemap

For a considerable more detail and Suffolk Pubs, visit my other historical Pub sites, including Suffolk Villages & Towns

Leiston is a parish, small town and railway station, in the Blything hundred and union, Framlingham county court district, rural deanery of Dunwich, archdeaconry of Suffolk, and diocese of Ely, East Suffolk, about 2 miles from Sisewell Gap, where there is a fishery and coastguard station. Here have also been recently built a few pleasantly situated marine villa residences. It is 93 miles from London, 4 north-north-west from Aldborough and 4 east-by-south from Saxmundham. The Great Eastern Railway Company have opened a branch to this town from their main line at Saxmundham. The church of St Margaret about a quarter of a mile on the west of the village, was rebuilt in 1853, by subscriptions raised by the exertions of the late Lady Rendlesham, the Hon Mrs Rose and the incumbent: it is a handsome structure, with nave, transcepts and chancel, and has a tower built of flint: it contains 5 bells and has also an organ. The register dates from 1538. The living is a perpetual curacy, valued at 435 per annum, with 33 acres of enclosed land in lieu of tithes, in the alternate gift of Christ's Hospital and of the Haberdashers' Company, London, and held by the Rev. John Calvert Blathwayt, M.A. The Wesleyans, Independents, and Society of Friends have chapels here. There is also a Parochial school, supported by voluntary contributions: the present number of boys and girls amount to about 200; and also an Infant school, supported by the Hon. Mrs. Rose. There is a Mechanics' Institution established here, which is well attended. The only charitable bequests are those of Thomas Grimsbv, Esq., of Weselton, who in 1721 left a farm of 38 acres for the use of poor widows and children belonging to the parish of Leiston, which now lets for 52 10s. per annum, of which Mr. William Wainwright, of Bury St. Edmund's, is the only surviving trustee; and by a later bequest he also left 200 to be invested by the churchwardens for the purpose of distributing bread to the poor at the parish church on Sundays. Here are situated the extensive manufacturing works of the eminent firm of Garrett and Sons, devoted entirely to the construction of the most improved description of agricultural machinery and implements: these works, which were established on a very small scale as far back as the year 1788, have gradually increased in importance, and now rank among the most extensive and celebrated in the kingdom: eight powerful steam engines are constantly employed driving the various machinery, which comprises such as are of the greatest utility in economising labour, and in the production of first-class machines: the premises cover a space of about 7 acres, and employment is given to about 600 men. The proprietors having arranged with the Great Eastern Railway Company to cut a line of railway direct into their works, the Leiston works are placed in communication with all parts of England, and within a three hours' Journey of London. Travellers, and especially those interested in agricultural pursuits, will find these works well worthy of inspection, while the arrangements for showing the various machines in operation at Mr. Garrett's farm, in the parish, will be appreciated by the purchaser. The town is lighted with gas of an excellent quality, supplied from Messrs. Garrett's works. Waterproof roquelaires are manufactured here. About half a mile from the town stand the ruins of Leiston Abbey: massive ivy-covered walls, high Gothic windows, and half-closed subterranean cells, are all that remain of its former grandeur: a modern-built farmhouse now occupies a space amongst the ruins, and the inner circle of the building Is a flower garden. The hamlet of Sisewell is considered as part of the parish of Leiston, and the united population in 1861 was 2,227: 1,000 acres of sandy soil, belonging to Sisewell, extend along the sea shore, and the hamlet and parish together contain 4,640 acres of land, half of which are tithe free, and about 900 acres are Crown lands, seized by Henry VIII. at the dissolution of Leiston Abbey.
Parish Clerk, George Garrod,

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Beauclerk Lord, Cupola Blathwayt
Rev. John Calvert, M.A. [incumbent], Parsonage
Garrett Henry Newson, esq
Garrett Richard, esq
Grimsey John, esq
Ogilvie Alexander, esq. Sisewell house
Packard Joseph, esq
Rose William, esq. J.P. J: Hon. Mrs. Old Abbey
Simpson James, esq

COMMERCIAL.
Aldous John, tailor
Andrews Nathaniel, boot & shoe maker
Baldry James, cooper
Baldry Wm. beer retailer & blacksmith
Bedwell James, miller
Bissell John, stationer
Blofield Abraham, farmer
Brown George, academy
Browne Henry, jun. farmer
Burrows William, Black Horse
Chandler John, shoe
Chaston Mary (Mrs.), butcher
Coleman Henry, farmer
Coleman William, shoe maker
Cunnell William, carpenter
Cutts William, wheelwright
Davidson Frederick, baker
Debney & Read, seed merchants
Driver John, farmer
Dunnett Wm. Vulcan's Arms, Sisewell
Furrington Robert, baker
Garnham George, grocer
Garrett Richard & Sons, manufacturers of agricultural implements, Leiston works
Garrod James, plumber & glazier
Geater Charles, tailor & draper
Gibbs Isaac, farmer
Goldsmith Charles, saddler
Gooch & Geater, waterproof roquelaire manufacturers
Gooch Thomas P. chemist
Goodwyn Samuel Allen, farmer, Leiston hall
Holden Betsy (Mrs.), grocer &. draper
Hunt Joseph, farmer
Hunt Samuel, farmer
Johnson Thomas, farmer
Kemp William, farmer
Merrells William, farmer, Sisewell
Morling George, butcher
Morling Isaac (Mrs.), baker
Neave Edward & Joseph Jas. Grocers &c
Packard Joseph, surgeon
Porter Anthony, farmer, Leiston abbey
Porter George, farmer, West house
Ralph Abraham, miller
Reeve Frederick, hair dresser
Sawer Robert, grocer & draper
Sherwood John, farmer
Simpson James, surgeon
Smith Alfred, butcher
Smith Robert, cabinet maker
Smith William, veterinary surgeon
Tuffield John, farmer
Upson Charles Robert, White Horse
Webb James, farmer
Wyatt George, blacksmith
Wyatt Henry, carpenter





The historical trade directory and census listing of all of London, Essex, Kent, Suffolk, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Sussex, Hertfordshire, Cambridgeshire Oxfordshire, and Dorset. If you are searching for a historical address, try the census and street directory database. This is a Victorian view on the streets of london and the south of England.

And Last updated on: Friday, 24-Feb-2017 00:46:23 GMT