Suffolk and Pub History in progress

Search UK, and London. Try the NEW London 1832 street directory

History of Suffolk - Knodishall 1865

Post Office Directory of 1865.

For a considerable more detail and Suffolk Pubs, visit my other historical Pub sites, including Suffolk Villages & Towns

KNODISHALL (or KNODDISHALL-CUM-BUXLOW) is a parish and village, In Blything hundred and union,
rural deanery of Dunwich, archdeaconry of Suffolk, and diocese of Norwich, East Suffolk, 3J miles south-east-by-east from Saxmundham, and 4 ½ north-west from Aldborougb. The church of St. Lawrence stands on a hill, and is of Saxon architecture: it has undergone a thorough repair, under the superintendence and at the expense of the present incumbent: it consists of a nave; the interior is plain, with stained glass windows: the tower is of flint, and contains 1 bell. The parish register commences from 1566. The living is a rectory, valued at £486 per annum, which was awarded in lieu of tithes in 1845, in the gift of T. Ayton, Esq., and held by the Rev. George Ayton Whitaker, M.A., who is also rural dean. In the neighbourhood of the church is the rectory, a good and substantial building, erected at the expense of the present incumbent; glebe land, 16 acres. About a mile from the church is a village, called COLDFAIR GREEN, consisting of about 40 houses. BUXLOW was formerly a separate parish, now part of Knodishall. This has altered the designation of the parish, which is now termed Knodishall-cum-Buxlow. The chief landowners In the parish are the Rev. George Ayton Whitaker, M.A., the trustees of the late Captain Bloomfleld, Lord Huntingfield, and T. B. Wentworth, Esq. Here are clay and sand pits. The united population is 442, and the extent of land 1,843 acres, part of which consists of good loam, but the eastern boundarv, approaching the sea, is rather a light soil.
Parish Clerk, William Scarlett.
POST OFFICE.—James Smith, sub-postmaster. Letters from Saxmundham at 7 a.m.; dispatched at 7.30 p.m. Leiston is the nearest money order office

Whitaker Rev. George Ayton, M.A.,J.P. [rector & rural dean], Rectory

Brown William, grocer
Cockrell Nathaniel, Butchers Arms
Gilbert Robert, farmer
Gildersleeves William James Beeden, blacksmith
Girling Edward Henry, farmer
Hilling Roliert, farmer
Kersey Frederick, farmer
Last John, tailor
Nunn Charles, carpenter
Nunn George, shoe maker
Oclee Joseph, farmer
Potter George, blacksmith
Skoulding Francis, miller
Studd Thomas, grocer & draper

And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:13:04 GMT