Suffolk and Pub History in progress

Search UK pub history, and London.

History of Suffolk - Kenton 1865

Post Office Directory of 1865.

For a considerable more detail and Suffolk Pubs, visit my other historical Pub sites, including Suffolk Villages & Towns

KENTON is a parish and village, 2 ½ miles north from Debenham, 6 north-west from Framlingham station, in Loes hundred, Plomesgate union, county court district of Framlingham, rural deanery of Hoxne, Suffolk archdeaconry, diocese of Norwich, East Suffolk. The church of All Saints is of very ancient architecture, erected in the 12th century: there is an old mural plate near the chancel in memory of the Garneys family, bearing inscription 1524. The register commences in 1538. The living is a vicarage, annual value £150 5s., with residence, and 33 acres of glebe, in the gift of Lord Henniker, M.P., and held by the Rev. William Henry White, M.A., of Jesus College, Cambridge. Lord Henniker, M.P., is owner of the great tithes. There is a National school opposite to the church, which is supported by the vicar and parishioners. There are two charities secured, notice of which is placed in front of the gallery of the church—one of an estate of 25 acres of land and cottage for the benefit of the poor of this parish and Debenham equally, and another of an estate, value £25 per annum, for the repair and ornament of the church. The Rev. Thomas Mills, M.A., is lord of the manor. Sir R. S. Adair, Bart., of Flixton, the Rev. Thomas Mills, M.A., and the Garneys family are the principal landed proprietors. The population in 1861 was 308, and the area is 1,208 acres; the gross estimated rental is £2,066, and rateable value, £1,804.
Parish Clerk, John Shulver.
Letters through Stonham, via Debenham. Debenham is the nearest post & money order office,& post office savings bank
National School, Miss Jane Robinson, mistress
Garneys Mrs
White Rev. William Henry,M.A.[vicar] The Parsonage


COMMERCIAL.
Clarke Lucy (Mrs.), farmer
Cupper Henry, farmer
Dooel Thomas, farmer & shopkeeper
Garneys Charles, farmer & landowner
Gooderham John, farmer & assistant overseer
Kersey Clement, farmer, Suddon hall
Nessling Walter, farmer & cattle dealer, The Lodge
Page Elizabeth (Mrs.), farmer
Read William, Crown, & blacksmith
Reynolds David (exors. of), farmers
Salter Geo. boot & shoe maker & shopkeeper
Shearing William, farmer
Shulver John, wheelwright
Smy Robert, coal dealer
Symonds Robert, farmer, Kenton hall




And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:17:51 GMT