|site search by freefind|
Post Office Directory of 1865.
For a considerable more detail and Suffolk Pubs, visit my other historical Pub sites, including Suffolk Villages & Towns
KENTFORD is a small parish and village, the latter situated about 4 ½
miles north-east from Newmarket, on the road to Bury St. Edmund's, 9 ½ west from
that place, 6 ½ south from Mildenhall, and about a mile from the Kennett railway
station, partly in Lackford and partly in Risbridge hundred, Mildenhall union
and county court district, rural deanery of Fordham, archdeaconry of Newmarket,
diocese of Ely, West Suffolk, on the Kennett river, whence the name is derived.
The church of St. Mary is a small stone, rubble and clunch building, in the
Decorated style, has nave, chancel, small tower with 3 bells, and small south
porch. The register is much mutilated, and is of late date. The living is a
rectory, consolidated with the vicarage of Gazely, united value £438, in the
gift of Trinity Hall, Cambridge, and held by the Rev. William Cooke, M.A., of
that college; the Rev. William Plows, M.A., is curate. The sum of £180 out of
the tithes of this parish are paid to the incumbent of Higham Green. There are a
few small charities, which are laid out in the purchase of coals for the poor of
the parish; they were lost for several years, but have been recovered. Needham
Street lies to the east. The Newmarket and Bury branch of the Great Eastern
Railway skirts the parish on the north. The Rev. William Godfrey is lord of the
manor, and Charles Foster, Esq., and Mr. S. Jonas are the chief landowners. The
soil is light and sandy. The crops are wheat, barley, seeds and turnips. The
population in 1861 was 210, and the area is 798 acres.
Parish Clerk, William Chinnery.
Letters through Newmarket, which is also the nearest money order office
Burt Mr. Thomas G
Plows Rev. William, M.A. [curate]
Brown James, Fox & Ball inn
Drake Esaph, shopkeeper
Gilson Henry, grocer
Haylock William, bricklayer
Wilson Elijah, poulterer