• Home
  • Cosford Database
  • London Pub History
  • Random Pub History
  • London Pubology
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Pub history in progress
  • Pub history south & west
  • WW1 gallantry research
  • WW1 regimental history
  • UK Pub History in progress

    UK Pub History in progress

    Search ME by surname, address or pub name

    Ixworth, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

    Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

    Ixworth Public Houses

    IXWORTH in 1844, is a small, but neat and well-built town, which has been much improved during the present century, by the rebuilding of many of the old houses, and is pleasantly situated in the vale of the small river Thet, on the Norwich Road, 6 1/2 miles N.E. of Bury St. Edmund's; 11 miles N.W. of Stonmarket; 9 miles W.S.W. of Botesdale; and 10 miles S.S.E. of Thetford. It had a market on Friday, which has long been obsolete, as also have its two fairs, formerly held on May-day and Oct 18th. It has, however, a sort of pleasure fair on Whitmonday, and petty sessions weekly. It consists chiefly of one long street, and increased its population from 827 souls, in 1801, to 1,064 in 1841. Its parish comprises 2,212a. 2a. 7p. of fertile land, of which about 200 acres belong to James Matthews, Esq., and the greater part of the remainder is the property of Richard Norton Cartwright, Esq., the lord of the manor, who resides at Ixworth Abbey, a neat mansion with extensive gardens and pleasure grounds, built by the Norton family, on the site of a Priory founded by Gilbert-de-Blund or Blount, about the year 1100, for canons regular of the Augustine order. This Priory, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, stood on a gentle acclivity near the church and the river, and received many benefactions, being valued, at its suppression, at 280 9s. 5d., according to Speed; but Dugdale says only at 168 19s. 7d. It was granted, with the manor,by Henry VIII., to Richard Codington and his wife Elizabeth, in exchange for the manor of Nonesuch, in Surrey, as appears by their monument in the church. It afterwards passed to the family of Fiennes, and from them to the Nortons, from whom it descended to the present proprietor. Roman coins and pottery have often been found at Ixworth ; and a few years ago, the remains of a Roman Villa were discovered about half a mile S.E. of the High-street. Mr. J. Warren has a small collection of coins and antiquities, most of which were found in the town and neighbourhood. The Church (St. Mary) is a neat structure, with several handsome monuments, a tower, and six bells. R. N. Cartwright, Esq., is impropriator, and also patron of the perpetual curacy, valued in 1835 at 101, and enjoyed by the Rev. Edward Cornish Wells, M.A., who has a commodious Parsonage House, built in 1839. Here is a Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1831; and a Baptist Chapel, formed out of a barn some years ago.
    About 1 A. 2r. of land, in Pakenham, has belonged to Ixworth church from a very early period, and is now let for 1 5s. a year, A Close of 7a., let for 6 a year, was awarded at the enclosure of Ixworth, in the 43rd of George III , in lieu of other lands belonging to the church and poor; to the intent that one half of the rent should be applied to the use of the church, and the other half to the use of the poor, in respect of the benefactions of Widow Danby and Thomas and Benj. Kettleborough. A legacy of 10, left to the poor, by William Firmage, in 1599, was laid out in the purchase of 1a. 2r. 32p. of land in Rattlesden, now let for 1 5s. a year. Benefactions to the poor, of 50, given by Sir Robert Gardiner, and 20 given by Ann and William Webb, were vested in the purchase of a yearly rent charge of 4 10s. out of 9a. of land, called Mansfield Closes, now belonging to the Boldero family. The Groat Money, which is of unknown origin, consists of a yearly rent charge of 20s., paid out of land at Foulslough, in Ixworth, and distributed in groats among the poor, on Michaelmas day. The manor ef Ixworth has, from an early period, been charged with the yearly distribution among the poor of 5 in money, and 9 worth of wood for firing. In 1789, William Varcy, Esq.,left l,OOO three per cent. Consols, in trust, to pay one half of the yearly dividends to a man and woman, for keeping Sunday schools, and to distribute the remainder among such of the working poor of the parish, as do not receive parochial relief. The poor parishioners have also 7 10s. yearly, from Cooke's Charily, (see Pakenham.) A National School was built here in 1840, and is attended by about 80 scholars. There are in the town several Friendly Societies, and a Lodge of Odd Fellows, belonging to the Manchester Union.
    IXWORTH DIRECTORY.
    Post Office, at Mr. Joseph Warren's, High street. Letters received and despatched at 6 morning and 8 evening. The Box closes at 7 evening.

    Bantick Wolfran, hawker
    Boggis William, parish clerk
    Booty John, jun., wine & spirit merchant
    Brittain Mary, cowkeeper
    Cartwright Richard Norton, Esq., Ixworth Abbey
    Caudwell Mrs. Elizabeth
    Clark Jas. registrar & relieving officer
    Cocksedge William, gamekeeper
    Cooper Henry Ralph, surgeon
    Doe William, carpenter
    Eaton Mrs. Ann
    Clayton Mrs. A.
    Fermor Mrs. Catherine
    George Henry Thomas, excise officer
    Goldsmith James, hawker
    Goldsmith John, gentleman
    Howes James, carpenter
    Keeble Mrs. L.
    Kitchen Mrs. H.
    Lanchester Mrs. Margaret
    Leman Mrs. Mary
    Wheeler Mrs. C.
    Lowe John, gentleman, Cross House
    Mahon Rev. W. R.rector of Honington
    Matthews James, Esq.
    Nixon John, inspector of weights & measures
    Nixon William, fruiterer & thatcher
    Nunn Sturley, solr. & superintendent registrar of Thingoe Union
    Rose Peter, butler at the Abbey
    Sams William Henry, solicitor
    Smith Rev. Charles, (Baptist)
    Smith Mr. George, & Mrs. Mary
    Spurting William, gardener, Abbey
    Sutton Stephen, policeman
    Warren Joseph,clock & watch maker, & dealer in old coins and other antiquities
    Wells Rev. Edw. Cornish, M.A , incumbent of Ixworth, Parsonage
    Academies.
    Cooke Misses
    Minns Maria
    Attorneys.
    Nunn & Sams, (agents to the Sun fire office)
    Auctioneer.
    Gifford Edw. (& general agent)
    Bakers, &c.
    Craske Robert
    Jarman John
    Richer Mary Ann
    Turner Thomas
    Blacksmiths.
    Bailey William
    Smith George
    Boot & Shoemakers.
    Harrald Henry
    Haunton Thomas
    Hull Charles
    Rye Zachariah
    Wells Lewis
    Bricklayers, &c
    Howe Frederick
    Sharpe Francis
    Sharpe Henry
    Sutton Stephen
    Butchers.
    Bantock John
    Reeve Samuel
    Woollard Joseph
    Cabinet Makers &c.
    Battley Frederick
    Candler William
    Chemist & Druggist.
    Harvey Chas. (& British wine dealer.)
    Coopers.
    Daynes Thomas (& basket maker);
    Meadows William
    Corn Miller.
    Potter John
    FARMERS.
    Balls Jerh. Heath
    Booty John, sen.
    Cockerill Charles
    Dover Mary
    Easlea John
    Goldsmith Thomas
    Dairy Farm.
    Gooch James
    Harrison Joseph, Stackings
    King John, Heath
    Parr Charles
    Pickering Thomas
    Reeve Joseph
    Sharpe Henry
    Gardeners.
    Goddard Charles
    Sharpe Charles
    Grocers & Drapers.
    Botwright James
    Goldsmith Frances Mary
    Wiseman James
    Hair Dressers.
    Brows William
    Durrant James
    INNS.
    Greyhound, John Nixon
    Pickerel, Edward Brown
    Woolpack, Henry Clemence
    Beer Houses.
    Bantock Charles
    Caudwell Edward
    Howard Thomas M.
    Ironmonger.
    Howard John
    Joiner.
    Read John, builder & surveyor
    Milliners, &c
    Bailey Eliza
    Pitts Hannah
    Rowley Sophia
    Rush Elizabeth
    Savage Eliza
    Sutton Susan
    Wright Susan
    Painters, Plumbers & Glaziers.
    Boyce William
    Miller Hannah
    Saddlers &c.
    Dring John
    Straw Hat Makers.
    Goldsmith Susan
    Sutton Susan
    Surgeons.
    Barsham & Cooper
    Green William
    Stedman Foster
    Tailors etc.
    Brook Benjamin
    Cracknell Charles
    Rush Henry
    Wheelwright.
    Howard John

    Coaches
    To Lonodn &c, 20 min before 7 and a 1/4 before 11 morning; to Bury 1/4 past 1 afternoon; to Diss 1/4 past 3 afternoon; and to Norwich, 4 afternoon daily and to Yarmouth, Mon, Wed & Fri at 2 afternoon. and Tues, Thu & Sat at a 1/4 past 10 morning.; to Bury, Mon. W. & Fri. 2 afternoon.; to Cambridge, Tues. Thu. & Sat. 2 afternoon; and to Botesdale, every Wed. 6 evening.
    Mail Cart, to Bury, 8 evening; and to Scole, 6 morning, daily.
    CARRIERS.
    JohnRowley, to Ipswich, Mon.&Thurs., and to Thetford,Wed. & Sat. 7 morning. Also Lambert, from the Greyhound, to Ipswich, Thursday, 1 afternoon.
    Fisk's van, to Norwich, Wed. & Sat. 12 night; and to Bury, Wed. 10 morning., and Sat. 3 afternoon, from the Greyhound.
    Sykes' van, to London, Bury, &c., from the Greyhound, Tues.& Thurs. 7 morng.; and to Norwich, 3 afternoon.


  • Home page
  • Contact Email :
  • Email
  • Home
  • Pub Research
  • London & Home counties :
  • London Pub History
  • Essex
  • Hertfordshire
  • Kent
  • Middlesex
  • Sussex
  • Surrey
  • Berkshire
  • Buckinghamshire
  • East Anglia:
  • Bedfordshire
  • Cambridgeshire
  • Huntingdonshire
  • Lincolnshire
  • Rutland
  • Suffolk
  • Northamptonshire
  • South & South West :
  • Cornwall
  • Devon
  • Dorset
  • Gloucestershire
  • Hampshire
  • Isle of Wight
  • Oxfordshire
  • Somerset
  • Wiltshire
  • North & Midlands :
  • Lincolnshire
  • Cumberland
  • Derbyshire
  • Durham
  • Lancashire
  • Leicestershire
  • Northumberland
  • Nottinghhamshire
  • Shropshire
  • Staffordshire
  • Warwickshire
  • Yorkshire
  • Research :
  • Pub Research
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Wetherspoons Pubs
  • Grand Junction Canal Pub History
  • Pub history on the River Thames
  • Maps of the UK
  • Anatomy Act 1832
  • BIG Site Map
  • Whats New?
  • London Pubology
  • Need a Researcher?

  • And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:15:08 GMT