The History of Suffolk site

Search the London & UK Pub History site and Street directory by historical Pub name or street address. The Pub history site is a major historical street directory of London and the Southern area of the UK, listing many Pubs (either closed or open); and street name changes between about 1840 and about 1940.
Please Contact: Kevan with any updates and additions to the site.

Please help me out with mapping the Games for London - Rail Travel Accessibility in London in 2012, please. I need stories, pictures and feedback. This will all be added to the gamesforlondon.com site Thanks, Kevan

site search by freefind

History of Suffolk - Hadleigh 1865

Post Office Directory of 1865 & Commercial Traders in 1865.

Sitemap

For a considerable more detail and Suffolk Pubs, visit my other historical Pub sites, including Suffolk Villages & Towns

HADLEIGH is a parish and market town, in Cosford hundred and union, rural deanery and archdeaconry of Sudbury, and diocese of Ely, West Suffolk, a station on the Eastern Union branch line and on the river Brett, which is not navigable. It is 64 miles from London, 10 ½ west from Ipswich station, 7 north-north-east from Nayland, and 11 east from Sudbury by road. The town was once of eminence in the woollen manufacture, and it now has a large silk mill, employing 200 women and children, extensive malthouses, several corn mills, iron foundries, machine works, and carries on a considerable trade in corn. The market day is on Monday, when much business is done in coin. There are fairs on Whit-Monday, Old Michaelmas Day, and a lamb fair in September. This is a polling place for West Suffolk. The town is lighted with gas, and has some very good buildings: the chief street is about three quarters of a mile in length. The church of St. Mary is large, ancient, and handsome, and is 143 feet long and 63 feet wide, with a high tower and spire containing 8 bells: the exterior of the church was restored in 1854-55, at the cost of about £1,100; but the interior is not at present in a very creditable state: Guthrum, the celebrated Danish sea-king, reigned here for twelve years, and was buried, it is supposed, in the church in 880: since then the structure has been rebuilt on a site closely adjacent to where it formerly stood, and sufficiently near to include the supposed tomb of this monarch: it may be questioned, however, whether this supposition is correct, as the tomb is not older than the fourteenth century: there is also an ancient font, with a curious inscription in Greek, an old pulpit, some old stained glass, a beautiful window, by Hedgland, from a painting bv Overbeck representing Our Saviour Blessing Little Children, in memory of the second wife of the present rector; also a good organ. The earliest date of the register is Nov. 26th, 1558. The living is a rectory, annual value £1,325 per annum, in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury; the incumbent is the Very Rev. Henry Barry Knox, M.A., joint dean of Bocking: the Rev. James Hunnybun, M.A., and the Rev. William Dorsett, are curates. The Rectory house has been much improved; the gateway dates from 1400. One of the rectors of Hadleigh, Dr. Rowland Tayler, was burnt in 155.5 on Aldham Common: the place where he was burnt is marked with a stone. There are almshouses in George-street for 32 inmates, chiefly founded by Dr. William Pykenham, to which a chapel is attached; there are also almshouses for 8 inmates in Benton-street; there are also chapels for Independents, Baptists, and Primitive Methodists. Besides the almshouses named above, there are others; also a Free school, National schools for boys and infants, British schools for boys, girls, and Infants, and a savings bank. The Corn Exchange was built in 1813. A new Town Hall was erected in 1851, on the Market feoffment property, by the trustees; it is n spacious brick building; a Police Station was built in 1855, at a cost of about £1,100, on a piece of ground formerly occupied by the White Horse inn. The petty sessions are held here at intervals of three or four weeks, also a county court once in two months at the Town Hall; it includes the following places in its Jurisdiction:—Aldham, Bildeston, Boxford, Brent Eleigh,Cbilsworth, East Bergholt, Edwardstone, Elmsett, Groton, Hadleigh, Hadleigh Hamlet, Higham, Hitcham, Holton St. Mary, Kersey, Kettlebaston, Layham, Lindsey, Milden, Monks Eleigh, Naughton, Nedging, Potstead, Raydon, Semer, Shelly, Stratford St. Mary, Stoke-by-Nayland, Stoke Leaven Heatb,Wattisham, Wenham (Great), Whatfield. Hadleigh was formerly incorporated, but surrendered its charter in James the Second's time. CORAM STREET is a mile west, and on the way to it, just outside the town, is the parish cemetery, which was opened in July, 1856. The population in 1861 was 3,606, and the parish contains 4,288 acres.
Parish Clerk, Thomas Sexton.
POST & MONEY ORDER OFFICE & POST OPPICB SAVINGS BANK.—Mrs. Sorah Ellisdon, Queen street,
postmistress. Letters arrive from Ipswich at 6.15 a.m., delivered 7.30 a.m.; dispatched 8.45 p.m.; on payment of
extra Id. till 8.30 p-.m
INSURANCE AGENTS:—
Atlas, Samuel C. Howard, High street
Clerical & Medical Life, Win. Grimwade, Churchgate st
County Fire, George Payne( High street
Crown Assurance, T. A. Ellisdon, High street
Eagle Life; George Taylor. High street
General Life & Fire, Cook Sc Son, Churchgate street
Law Life, Robinson, Safford & Last, Churchgate street
Law Union Fire & Life, Robinson, Safford & Last, Churchgate street
Liverpool &London Globe, Frederic W. Barber, High st
London Assurance Corporation, Thomas Pritty, High at
Manchester Fire, Newman & Harper, Town hall
Medical Sr Invalid Sf General, Robinson, Safford & Last, The Hall
Norwich Union Fire & Life, J. S. Bowler, High street
Provident Life, George Payne, High street
Queen, W. Kersey, High street
Royal Fire & Lif e, William Sewell, High street; & George Taylor, High street (fire only)
Royal Exchange Fire # Life, Cook Sc Son, Churclnrate st
Royal Farmers' &; General Fire, Life Sj Hail, William Grimwade, Churchgate street
Solicitors & General Life, Newman & Harper, Town hall
Sovereign Life, J. Pcttitt, Higli street
Standard Life, Newman & Harper, Town hall
Suffolk Alliance Life & Fire, Robinson, Safford & Last, Churchgate street
Sun Fire & Life, John Graham, High street
Westminster Fire & General Life, William Sewell, High street (life only)
PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS :— County Court, William Gurdon, esq. judge; R. Newman, registrar; G. P. Arden, high bailiff; Robert Faiers, bailiff
Corn Exchange, Market place, Henry Hardacre, corn inspector
Excise, Office,' White Lion,' High street, Daniel Broughton, supervisor
Farmers' Club Agricultural Association, William Grimwade, honorary secretary. Annual general meetings in May
Hadleigh Association for the Prosecution of Felons, Robinson, Safford & Last, honorary secretaries
Reading Room, High street, John Allen Nash, secretary
Stamp Office, High street, Henry Hardacre, distributor
Town Hall, Market place
Police Station,
PUBLIC OFFICERS:—
Churchwardens, Joseph Rand & William Grimwade
Clerk to the Board of Guardians for Cosford Union, Richard Newman, Town hall
Clerk to the Commissioners of Taxes, Richard Newman, Town hall
Gas Inspectors, John Cook, Edward Cook, Thomas Wilson, John T. Muriel
Clerks to the Magistrates & Stewards of the following Manors, viz. :—In Suffolk: Hadleigh Hall: Pond Hall; Toppersfleld Hall; Cosford Hall; Kersey Manor; Lillesley-cum-Sampsons Hall, in Kersey: Lindsey, alias Lillesley ; Overbury Hull & Netherbury Hall, in Layham; Wattisbam Manor; Whatfield Furneaux; Chellesworth Manor; Martlesham-cum-Newborne; Stanstead Hall; Lcffey Hall; Fenn Hall, in Buxhall; Edwardstone Hall; Castlings Hall; Groton; Church Hall, in Preston; Swifts, in Preston; Mortimers, in Preston; Veseys, in Stratford: Churchford Hall, in Capel; Little Wenham Vaux & Jermyns; Monks Eleigh Manor; WoodhalI,in Rattlesden; Bavents, in Combs; Burnt Wenham; Stowmarket, otherwise Abbotts Hall; Hollesley with Sutton; Dagworth with Sorrels; Thorney Kebles & Thorney Campsey; Reydon Hall: Mettingham Castle-cum-Bungay Soca; Wyverstone Manor; Kingshall; Brendhall; Rousehall & Wascolies, in Clopton. In Essex: Great Holland, & Bures in the Mount. In Huntingdonshire: Holywell-cum-Needingworth; Robinson, Safford & Last, The Hall & Churchgate street
Clerk to the Hadleigh Lighting Inspectors, & Steward of the Manors of Hicham, Waldinqfield Hall, Carbonells-with-Chilton & Brandeston Hall, Charles Harper, Town hall
Superintendent Registrar, Richard Newman,
Town hall Town Crier, George Bateman, Market place
Treasurers &Collectors to the Hadleigh Grand Feoffment Charities, Robinson, Safford & Last, Churchgate st Supervisor of Inland Revenue, Daniel Brougbton, Clark's terrace
PLACES OF WORSHIP:—
St. Mary's Church, Very Rev. Henry B. Knox, M.A. rector; Rev. James Hunnybun, M.A. & Rev. William Dorsett, M.A. curates
Baptist Chapel, George st. Rev. Charles Smith, minister
Independent Chapel, Market place, Rev. Samuel T. Williams, minister
Primitive Methodist Chapel, George st. ministers various
PUBLIC SCHOOLS:—
British, Duke street, Charles Nobbs, master; Miss Verlander, mistress
Infant, Mrs. Elizabeth Palmer, mistress
National (for boys), Samuel Chambers, master
Railway Station, John Scrivener, station roaster
Police Station & Petty Sessions, High street, Thomas Bennett, inspector
POSTING HOUSES:—
White Lion, Robert Aldous, High street
CARRIERS TO IPSWICH.—William k Thomas Warren, Angel street, every tuesday, thurs day & Saturday j William Mann, monday, Wednesday & friday, from Hadleigh heath.
A mail cart also conveys parcels to Ipswich every night at ½ past 8

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Atkins Alfred Thomas B. esq. High street
Bacon Mr. William
Baxter Mr. Thomas, Pound lane
Bunn Edward, esq. High street
Clark Mrs. Clark's terrace
Cook Mr. John, Market place
Cork Mr. Charles, Bridge street
Dorsett Rev. William, M.A. [curate]
Gibbs Mr. Joseph, Clark's terrace
Grimwade Mrs. Bridge street
Grimwade William, esq. Churchgate st
Growse Mrs. Queen street
Harper Charles, esq. Toppesfleld hall
Hicks John Kettle, esq. Bridge house
Hume Rev. Abraham, M.A. [incumbent of Kersey], Queen street
Hunnybun Rev. James, M.A. [curate], Benton street
Keymer Miss, Bridge street
Knox Very Rev. Henry Barry, M.A., J.P. Rectory
Lamb Mr. William Henry, George st
Mason Benjamin, esq. High street
Muriel John Thomas, esq. High street
Nash Mr. John Allen, High street
Newman Richard, esq. High street
Rand Miss. Queen street
Rand Mr. Robert, Churchgate street
Robinson John Frederick,esq. The Hall
Robinson Mrs. Churchgate street
Safford Frederick Lawrance Sleath, esq. The Cross, High street
Sheldrake Mrs. Churchgate street
Smith Rev. Charles [Baptist], Benton street
Slanes Mr. Robert, Portland place
Stutter Mrs. Bridge street
Taylor George, esq. High street
White Mrs. Angel street
Womack Mrs. Clark's terrace

The historical trade directory and census listing of all of London, Essex, Kent, Suffolk, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Sussex, Hertfordshire, Cambridgeshire Oxfordshire, and Dorset. If you are searching for a historical address, try the census and street directory database. This is a Victorian view on the streets of london and the south of England.

And Last updated on: Friday, 24-Feb-2017 00:45:59 GMT