• Home
  • Cosford Database
  • London Pub History
  • Random Pub History
  • London Pubology
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Pub history in progress
  • Pub history south & west
  • WW1 gallantry research
  • WW1 regimental history
  • UK Pub History in progress

    UK Pub History in progress

    Search ME by surname, address or pub name

    Grundisburgh, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

    Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

    Grundisburgh Public Houses

    Grundisburgh 1865 Post Office Directory

    GRUNDISBUGH is a village and parish, in Carlford hundred and rural deanery, archdeaconry of Suffolk, and diocese of Ely, Woodbridge union and county court district, East Suffolk, 3 miles north-west from Woodbridge, 7 northeast from Ipswich station, and about 2 from Bealings station. The church of St. Mary is an ancient structure; it has a beautiful groined roof, and was rebuilt about the period of 1527: a new brlck-built tower was erected In 1731 in lieu of the old one, which had fallen down, with funds left for the purpose by Mr. Robert Thinge: the church roof was repaired in 1841: the organ, built hy Pilcher, of London, was erected in 1843, at the cost of 100. The register dates from the reign of Edward VI. The living is a rectory, tithes commuted at 542, with 47 acres of glebe, and residence, in the gift of Trinity College, Cambridge, and held by the Rev. George Edis Webster, A.M. The town estate consists of some cottages and about 27 acres of land, let for 40 per annum, and was the gift of the Rev. John Yate. In 1730, Robert Thinge left a yearly rent-charge of 2 12s. for a weekly distribution of bread among the poor. J. Lucock left funds for the purchase of 284, Three-and-a-Half per Cent. Annuities, the dividends to be applied as follows:— 5 for a weekly distribution of three penny loaves, 5 for the support of a Sunday school, and the residue to be annually distributed in bread and coals among the poor. The late Samuel Taylor Dawson also left a bequest of 200, similarly invested, to supply coals to those in needy circumstances. The Baptists have a neat and commodious chapel. The Hall, the seat of B. Gurdon, Esq., lord of the manor, is a stately mansion, pleasantly situated in the midst of a well wooded park and shrubs. Here are clay pits. The soil is mixed, and produces good crops of grain, beet, and turnips. The population in 1861 was 836, and the area is 1,897 acres. Parish Clerk, Benjamin Bedwell.
    POST OPPICE. — James Clark, receiver. Letters arrive
    from Woodbridge at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 6.30 p.m. The
    nearest money order office is at Woodbridge
    INSURANCE AGENTS:—
    Eagle, William Colchester
    Liverpool & London Globe, John Cobb
    CARRIERS TO:—
    IPSWICH — James Adams, tues. wed. fri. & sat. morn.;
    returning the same days, William Cook, tues. morn
    WOODBRIDGE — James Adams, mon.& thurs. morn.;
    returning the same day; William Cook, mon. wed. thurs. fri. & sat. morn

    PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
    Barriff John, esq
    Brown Rev. Walter Elliott
    Buttram Mrs
    Buttram Misses
    Colchester William, esq. Hall
    Collins Rev. Samuel [Baptist]
    Dobree Rev. James
    Gurdon B. esq. Hall
    Howlett Mrs
    Kerrich Capt. Walter Fitzgerald
    Marsden Mrs
    Meadows George Frederick Walford, esq
    Robinson Mrs
    Steel Mrs
    Steggal John, esq
    Syret Lieut. Janies
    Webster Rev. Geo. Edis, M.A. Rectory

    COMMERCIAL.
    Ablitt George, farmer
    Adams James, carrier
    Baker John, farmer
    Banyard George, Dog inn
    Banyard James, butcher
    Barthrop Edwin Manning, farmer
    Bayes William, baker
    Bedwell Benjamin, farmer
    Beningfield William, teacher of singing
    Burch James, farmer
    Buttram John, miller
    Clark James, tailor, & post office
    Cobb John, grocer & draper
    Colson John, shopkeeper
    Cook Henry, carpenter, wheelwright & asphalter
    Cook John, carpenter, bricklayer & asphalter
    Cook William, carrier
    Crapnell John, blacksmith
    Groom Henry, carpenter
    Groom Joseph, farmer & cattle dealer
    Groom Sarah.(Mrs.), sunday & day scbl
    Harris John, farmer
    Harris Philip, farmer
    Joyce Everard, plumber
    Knights William, corn dealer

    Lambert — (Mrs.), beer retailer
    Loom William, butcher
    Manby Henry, farmer
    Meadows George Frederick Walford, surgeon
    Motum Jeremiah, blacksmith
    Newson John, farmer
    Nunn Thomas, farmer
    Palmer Chas. Halfmoon, k pig dealer
    Parker James Upson, bricklayer
    Pipe Keeble Wielgress, cooper & basket maker
    Read Thomas, farmer
    Repington Thos. saddler k harness maker
    Smith John, boot & shoe maker
    Steggal John, surgeon
    Steggal Rebecca (Miss), ladies' boarding & day school
    Wilding William, plumber & painter
    Woods Henry, dealer
    Woolnough James, boot k shoe maker
    Woolnough William, bricklayer
    Wright Henry, relieving officer

  • Home page
  • Contact Email :
  • Email
  • Home
  • Pub Research
  • London & Home counties :
  • London Pub History
  • Essex
  • Hertfordshire
  • Kent
  • Middlesex
  • Sussex
  • Surrey
  • Berkshire
  • Buckinghamshire
  • East Anglia:
  • Bedfordshire
  • Cambridgeshire
  • Huntingdonshire
  • Lincolnshire
  • Rutland
  • Suffolk
  • Northamptonshire
  • South & South West :
  • Cornwall
  • Devon
  • Dorset
  • Gloucestershire
  • Hampshire
  • Isle of Wight
  • Oxfordshire
  • Somerset
  • Wiltshire
  • North & Midlands :
  • Lincolnshire
  • Cumberland
  • Derbyshire
  • Durham
  • Lancashire
  • Leicestershire
  • Northumberland
  • Nottinghhamshire
  • Shropshire
  • Staffordshire
  • Warwickshire
  • Yorkshire
  • Research :
  • Pub Research
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Wetherspoons Pubs
  • Grand Junction Canal Pub History
  • Pub history on the River Thames
  • Maps of the UK
  • Anatomy Act 1832
  • BIG Site Map
  • Whats New?
  • London Pubology
  • Need a Researcher?

  • And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:12:27 GMT