Suffolk and Pub History in progress

Search UK, and London. Try the NEW London 1832 street directory

History of Suffolk - Great Saxham 1865

Post Office Directory of 1865.

Great Saxham Public Houses & 1844 directory

GREAT SAXHAM is a parish, in Thingoe hundred, rural deanery, and union, Bury St. Edmund's county court district, Sudbury archdeaconry, and diocese of Ely, West Suffolk, 5 miles west-by-south from Bury St. Edmund's station, and about 2 from Saxham station. The church of St. Andrew, an ancient structure, situated in the park, has nave, aisle, chancel, and tower with 3 bells, neat screen dividing the chancel from nave, painted window over communion table, and a handsome oak carving representing several Scriptural figures: there are two handsome memorial windows in the chancel to Thomas Mills, Esq., and Mrs. Mills; also monuments faced with brasses to the Eldred family. The living is a rectory, and has a yearly rent-charge of £370 in lieu of tithes, in the gift of Thomas Mills, Esq., and held by the Rev. Thomas Mills, M.A., of Stutton; the Rev. William F. Francis is curate. There is a day and Sunday school at the village. The soil is mixed, and subsoil is clay. Thomas Mills, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The crops are wheat, barley, and oats.
There are charities to the amount of £36 a year, arising from 12 acres of land in Whepstead parish, land at Fornham, house in Bury, and Mabb's Close in Great Saxham, which is distributed by the rector and hurchwarden
to the poor of the parish. Saxham Hall, the seat of Mrs. Mills, is a square stone-built mansion, in the midst of a
handsome park, well studded with lofty trees and plantations, and embellished with lawns and terraces tastefully planted with flowers and evergreens: the south front overlooks extensive fish-ponds; the west or principal
entrance is through a portico, over which are the family arms (lion rampant). The population in 1861 was 270, and the area is 1.428 acres.
Parish Clerk, William Sharpe.
POST OFFICE.óW. H. Syer, receiver. Letters from Bury at 8.30 a.m.; dispatched at 5.30 p.m. Bury is the nearest
money order office
Parochial School, Mrs. Maria Thome, mistress

Francis Rev. William F. [curate]
Mills Mrs. Saxham hall
Bailey Robert, shoe maker
Booty Grace (Mrs.), White Horse inn
Cockrel Robert D. Farmer
Graham William & James, farmers
Silverstone Thomas, farmer
Syer William H. blacksmith

And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:17:16 GMT