Suffolk and Pub History in progress

Search UK, and London. Try the NEW London 1832 street directory

History of Suffolk - Glemsford 1865

Post Office Directory of 1865.

Glemsford pub history index

For a considerable more detail and Suffolk Pubs, visit my other historical Pub sites, including Suffolk Villages & Towns

GLEMSFORD is a village and parish, in Sudbury union, county court district, rural deanery and archdeaconry, diocese of Ely, West Suffolk, north of the river Stour, 7 miles north-west from Sudbury, and 5 east-north-east from Clare. A branch line of the Great Eastern Railway passes through the parish. The church of St. Mary, a large Gothic building, has nave, two aisles, and 6 bells: the tower has been lately rebuilt. The register commences in 1550. The living is a rectory, tithes commuted at £800, with about 70 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Bishop of Ely, and held by the Rev. George Coldham, M.A., of Caius College, Cambridge. Here are chapels for Baptists and Independents, and a National school, with residence for the master. Here are a silk-throwsting mill, a silk factory, and a horsehair and cocoa nut fibre manufactory, finding employment for a large number of hands. There is a mechanics' institute; and there are several charities, £25 12s. being distributed in doles at Christmas. Edmund Stedman, Esq., of Sudbury, is lord of the manor. E. R. S. Bence, J. G. Hale, and R. Langley, Esqs., are chief landowners. The soil Is a mixture of clay, loam and sand. The crops are wheat, barley and oats. The population in 1861 was 1,932, and the area is 2,295 acres.
Parish Clerk, Daniel Gridley.
POST OFFICE.óWilliam Bradnam, receiver. Letters arrive from Sudbury at 7.30 a.m. Box closes at 5.30 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Long Melford
INSURANCE AGENT.óLondon Assurance,W. Bouttell
National School, George King, master; Miss Ann Langham, mistress
BURY ST. EDMUND'SóJsph. Beeton & Jsph.Copsey, wed
SUDBURYóWm. Ford & Barnabas Watkinson, daily

Boggis Mr. Golding
Coldham Rev.George,M.A., J.P. .[rector]
Wyatt Mrs

Adams Charles, carpenter
Adams Thomas, wheelwright
Albon George, blacksmith, farrier & beer retailer, Hardwick house
Allen Cornelius, grocer & draper
Allen Henry, cocoa out mat maker
Allen James, carpenter & baker
Allen Walter, cocoa nut mat maker
Bayles Robert, shopkeeper
Beaumont Elizabeth (Mrs.), farmer
Bee ton George, cattle dealer' ..
Beeton Joseph, cocoa nut mat maker
Bevis Joseph, tailor
Bigg John, farmer
Bigg John W. farmer
Bigg William, tailor
Boreham Stephen, shopkeeper
Bouttell William, miller
Bradnam Charles, tailor
Bulmer Charles hair dresser
Butcher Samuel, shopkeeper
Byford Edward, beer retailer
Byford William, farmer, Court farm
Cawston Henry R. shopkeeper
Clarke Elizabeth (Mrs.), farmer
Clarke Rhoda (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Copsey Joseph, Cock inn
Deaves Benjamin, farmer
Debenham William, bricklayer
Downs Walter, blacksmith
Eaton Henry W. silk throwster (Andrew Peacock, agent)
Foot & Bird, silk manufacturers
Glasscock Charles B. Greyhound inn
Golding Philip, shoe maker
Goodchild William S. farmer
Goody Jeremiah, farmer
Goody Thomas, beer retailer
Gridley Daniel, farmer
Hartley James, wheelwright
Haward John, shoe maker
Jarman James, plumber & glazier
Kolle H & Son, hair seating & cocoa nut mat & matting manufacturers (David Crick, manager)
Langham Thomas, shopkeeper
Mayhew Jeremiah, shopkeeper
Moore John C. Crown inn
Morley Corben, farmer & brick maker
Weave William, harness maker
Oakley James, farmer
Orbell Joseph, farmer
Pearman William, blacksmith
Pettit Richard, carpenter
Plume Holden, shopkeeper
Rice George, plumber & glazier
Scott William, bricklayer
Shepherd George, plumber & glazier
Smith John, farmer
Sparke Josiah, Black Lion
Studd Planton, cattle dealer
Thompson Esau, tailor
Twinn James, fruiterer
Twinn James, carpenter
Watkinson Barnabas, shopkeeper
Watkinson Cornelius, basket maker
Watkinson David, shoe maker
Watkinson Josiah, shoe maker
Webb Josiah, shopkeeper
Wordley David, beer retailer


And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:17:03 GMT