• Home
  • Cosford Database
  • London Pub History
  • Random Pub History
  • London Pubology
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Pub history in progress
  • Pub history south & west
  • WW1 gallantry research
  • WW1 regimental history
  • UK Pub History in progress

    UK Pub History in progress

    Search ME by surname, address or pub name

    Denham, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

    Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

    Denham Public Houses

    DENHAM in 1844, is a small scattered village, nearly 7 miles W.S.W. of Bury St. Edmund's, has in its parish 182 souls, and 1990 acres of land, having a good mixed soil. William Francis Gamuel Farmer, Esq., is impropriator, owner of the soil, lord of the manor, and patron of the Church, (St. Mary,) which has a singularly constructed tower, and is a perpetual curacy, endowed with a yearly stipend of 100, and now enjoyed by the Rev. R. Staphen Stevens, of South Petherwin, Cornwall, for whom the Rev. Edward Bosanquet, of Dalham, officiates. In Edward the Third's time, Denham belonged to the Hethe family. It was afterwards appropriated to some monastic institution, and was granted at the dissolution to Sir Edward Lukemore, of whose son and great-grandson there are handsome monuments in the church, the latter bearing a fine recumbent effigy. The heiress of the Lukemores carried the estate in marriage to the first Lord Viscount Townshend, who died in 1087, and it belonged to his family in Kirby's time. The Hall, which was the seat of the Lukemores, is now a moated farmhouse. On a farm called Denham Castle, is a moated eminence, supposed to have been occupied by the Saxons or Danes. In 1662, Lady Mary Townshend left 100, to be laid out in lands, and the profits thereof to be applied in apprenticing poor orphan children of this parish. The estate purchased consists of a house and about 8a. 1r. 8p. of land, at Cowling, let for 14 a year, which is given partly in apprentice fees and partly in blankets. The poor parishioners have 2 a year out of Denham Hall estate, given by one of the Townshend family.
    Barrow Joseph, blacksmith
    Drake Maria, vict. Plough
    Robinson Francis, gamekeeper
    Walker John, carpenter & wheelwright

    FARMERS.
    Halls Frederick. Edwin, Abbot's Hall
    Halls Elizabeth, Denham Castle
    Halls James, Denham end Lodge
    Halls Joseph, Denham Hall
    Sparrow James

  • Home page
  • Contact Email :
  • Email
  • Home
  • Pub Research
  • London & Home counties :
  • London Pub History
  • Essex
  • Hertfordshire
  • Kent
  • Middlesex
  • Sussex
  • Surrey
  • Berkshire
  • Buckinghamshire
  • East Anglia:
  • Bedfordshire
  • Cambridgeshire
  • Huntingdonshire
  • Lincolnshire
  • Rutland
  • Suffolk
  • Northamptonshire
  • South & South West :
  • Cornwall
  • Devon
  • Dorset
  • Gloucestershire
  • Hampshire
  • Isle of Wight
  • Oxfordshire
  • Somerset
  • Wiltshire
  • North & Midlands :
  • Lincolnshire
  • Cumberland
  • Derbyshire
  • Durham
  • Lancashire
  • Leicestershire
  • Northumberland
  • Nottinghhamshire
  • Shropshire
  • Staffordshire
  • Warwickshire
  • Yorkshire
  • Research :
  • Pub Research
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Wetherspoons Pubs
  • Grand Junction Canal Pub History
  • Pub history on the River Thames
  • Maps of the UK
  • Anatomy Act 1832
  • BIG Site Map
  • Whats New?
  • London Pubology
  • Need a Researcher?

  • And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:12:22 GMT