Suffolk and Pub History in progress

Search UK, and London. Try the NEW London 1832 street directory

History of Suffolk - Cotton 1865

Post Office Directory of 1865.

For a considerable more detail and Suffolk Pubs, visit my other historical Pub sites, including Suffolk Villages & Towns

COTTON is a village and parish, in Hartismere hundred and union, Stowmarket county court district, rural deanery of Hartismere, archdeaconry of Suffolk, and diocese of Norwich, West Suffolk, a mile south-west from Finningham station, 87 miles from London, 6 north-by-east from Stowmarket, and 3 west-north-west from Mendlesham. The church of St. Andrew is an old stone building, in the Perpendicular and Decorated styles: it has nave, side aisles, chancel, and a tower containing 5 bells: in its windows are some fragments of ancient stained glass, and its porch has highly enriched mouldings. The register dates from the reign of Queen Elizabeth. The living is a rectory, tithes commuted in 1839 for 485 per annum, and a good residence of white brick, which was erected in 1811, and has extensive gardens and pleasure grounds: the glebe lands are 19a. 30p.; Major Turner is patron, and the Rev. Michael Turner, M.A., of Emmanuel College, Cambridge, is the incumbent. The chief landowners are Charles Tyrell, Esq., and Captain Heigham. The manors of Bacton and Mendlesham extend into this parish. Cotton Hall, now a farm-house, belongs to C. Tyrell, Esq., lord of the manor, and is an ancient mansion, encompassed by a broad deep moat, which has been walled in on both sides. William De la Pole died seised of Cotton manor, in the 28th of Henry VIII.; it afterwards passed to the Duke of Norfolk, who, in 1558, assigned it to Sir John Tyrell. The Wesleyans have a chapel here. There is a small Parochial school, chiefly supported by the rector. The soil is clav and loamy; crops, principally wheat and beans. The population is 542; the area 1,921a. 2r. 27p.
FORD'S QUEEN, EARL'S GREEN, and SMITH'S GREEK lie to the south-west.
Parish Clerk, Charles Pleasance.
Letters received from Stowmarket through Bacton, which is also the nearest money order office Parochial School, Miss Eliza Leggett, mistress

Turner Rev. Michael, M.A. Rectory

Berry George, weaver
Blake Daniel, shopkeeper
Bullock Robert, cooper
Cater William, farmer
Davy Robert, shopkeeper
Doe John, farm bailiff to John Ward
Finbow Ann Rebecca (Mrs.), Railway tavern
Finbow Sarah (Mrs.), farmer
Ford John, miller & coal dealer
Garrard William, grocer & beer retailer
Goodrich Charles, farmer
Goodrich Joseph, farmer
Goodrich Samuel, farmer
Grimwood James, farmer
Hayward Geo. Cock, & whiting maker
Hunt William, farmer
Jennings John Chas. farmer,Cotton hall
Leggett George, carpenter
Le Grice Charles, farmer
Mayhew Harold, farmer
Mullinger Daniel, bricklayer & slater
Murton Jas. farmer, Herapnall's hall
Pleasance Charles, bricklayer
Pleasance Samuel, boot & shoe
Rice James, grocer
Scotchmer Thomas, tailor
Seaman William, blacksmith
Vincent Richard, farrier

And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:16:02 GMT