Suffolk and Pub History in progress

Search UK, and London. Try the NEW London 1832 street directory

History of Suffolk - Cockfield 1865

Post Office Directory of 1865.

For a considerable more detail and Suffolk Pubs, visit my other historical Pub sites, including Suffolk Villages & Towns

COCKFIELD is an extensive and scattered parish and village, including the small hamlets of COLCHESTER GREEN, WINDSOR GREEN, CROSS GREEN, OLD HALL GREEN, PARSONAGE GREEN, BUTTON GREEN, EARL'S COURT, STOW'S HILL, GREAT COCKFIELD GREEN, and SMITH WOOD GREEN, situated on the Bury and Sudbury Railway and road, 7 miles south from Bury St. Edmund's and 4 north from Lavenham, 11 north-east from Sudbury, and 9 west from Stowmarket, in Cosford union, Babergh hundred, county court district of Bury St. Edmund's, Sudbury rural deanery and archdeaconry, and diocese of Ely, West Suffolk. The church of St. Peter is an ancient flint stone building, in the Perpendicular style, with a tower and 6 bells: it has nave, chancel, north and south aisles, and contains a handsome monument to the Harvev family: some of the windows contain fragments of stained glass: the church was repaired in 1858. The register dates from 1561. The living is a rectory, commuted value, £1,050, with residence, in the gift of St. John's College, Cambridge, and held by the Rev. Richard Jeffreys, M.A., formerly fellow of that college; the Rev. George Dobree, of Trinity College, Dublin, is curate. The Independents have a chapel here. There are also several small charities. The principal landowners are Mr. W.T. Walton, Mr. William Baldwin, Mr. William Hustler, Sir C. J. Fox Bunbury, Bart., Sir George N Broke Middleton, Bart., Henry Le Grice, Esq., and several other small owners. The soil is of various kinds; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans, and green crops. The Misses Manning are owners of the manor. Here is a National school. There are the remains of an abbey, and traces of a Roman encampment. The population in 1861 was 992, and there are 3,626 acres of land.
Parish Clerk, Henry Faiers. .
POST OFFICE.—Obadiah Hassell, receiver. Letters arrive from Sudbury at 7.50 a.m.; dispatched at 5.30 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Lavenham
INSURANCE AGENTS :— General Life & Fire, Frederick Nunn
Liverpool & London & Globe, Charles Edwards
National School, Francis Davis, master; Mrs. Elizabeth Davis, mistress
CARRIER TO BURY ST. EDMUND'S.—Francis Dutton, to & from, Wednesday & Saturday

Baldwin Mr. William, Pepper's hall
Dobree Rev. George [curate]
Jeffreys Rev. Richard, M.A. [rector]

Alderton Robert, farmer
Allington John, grocer & beer retailer
Baker Edward, farmer, Ball's Wood farm
Baldwin Henry W. farmer
Baldwin William, landowner & farmer, Pepper's hall
Bantock Thomas, grocer & beer retailer
Borley William, Six Sells
Browning Robert, beer retailer
Chaplin Thomas, grocer & draper & farmer
Churchyard Caroline (Miss), seminary
Dutton Francis, carrier
Edgar Robert, farmer, Hill farm
Edwards Charles, shopkeepr. Cross green
Faiers Henry, boot & shoe maker, & parish clerk
Gridley Abraham, farmer
Hammond William, blacksmith & beer retailer
Hassell Emma (Mrs.), dress maker
Hassell Obadlah, sub-postmaster
Head Frederick, farmer
Hilder Alfred, grocer & draper
Hilder Richard, farmer
Howe Samuel, maltster, Cross green
Hudgell Alfred, saddle & harness maker
Hurley William, farmer
Hustler William, landowner & farmer, Earl's hall
Josling Joseph, farmer
Kilbourn Thomas, blacksmith
King Samuel, farmer & butcher, Smallbridge
Matthews Abraham, miller
Napthan William, Greyhound
Nunn Frederic, school, Cross green
Page William, miller
Pawsey William Henry, butcher
Payne George, gardener
Pearson John, boot & shoe maker
Pipe George, veterinary surgeon
Ruffell Eliza (Mrs.), farmer
Ruffell William, farmer, Stow's hill
Sansum Eliza (Mrs.),farmer
Scott Robert, Punch Bowl
Sheppard John, farmer
Simkin Tedd, farmer, Button's green
Smith Thomas, shoe maker
Sparkc William, farmer
Talbot Henry, farmer, The Hall
Talbot Henry James, farmer
Talbott Alfred, King's Head
Talbott Benjamin, wheelwright
Underwood William, farmer

And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:13:49 GMT