Suffolk and Pub History in progress

Search UK, and London. Try the NEW London 1832 street directory

History of Suffolk - Claydon 1865

Post Office Directory of 1865.

For a considerable more detail and Suffolk Pubs, visit my other historical Pub sites, including Suffolk Villages & Towns

CLAYDON is a parish and large village, with a railway station, in Bosmere hundred, Bosmere and Claydon union, Ipswich county court district, Claydon deanery, Suffolk archdeaconry, and Norwich diocese, eastern division of the county, situated on the Gipping, a tributary of the Orwell, 73 miles from London, 5 south-east from Needham, 4 north from Ipswich, 8 from Stowmarket, 22 from Bury, and half a mile north-west from the Claydon station on the Ipswich and Bury Railway. The church of St. Peter Is a small building of great antiquity: the west angles of the nave are of Saxon long and short work, as is also the south door, the remainder of the nave and the tower are Perpendicular: the chancel and transepts were built a few years back, in the revived Decorated style: at the beginning of the century the parishioners sold all the bells, except one, to pay for furnishing the church with pews—these have given way to handsome open oak benches: the communion table is furnished with handsome altar cloth, and with cross, candle sticks and chalices. The living is a rectory, consolidated with that of Akenham, with 50 acres of glebe, and a good residence; the tithes of the united parishes have been commuted for £506 per annum—viz., Claydon, £240, and Akenham, £266; the Rev. George Drury, B.A., of Christ's College, Cambridge, is the patron and incumbent. The Independents have a chapel here. The Hall is built on the site of an ancient Saxon castle, the square moat of which still remains. The land is a mixed soil, on a chalk subsoil. In the parish are extensive limekilns, some chalk pits, and a whiting manufactory. The population in 1861 was 501. The area of the parish is 950 acres, which belong to The Dowager Lady Middleton (lady of the manor), Tooley's Almshouses, Ipswich, W. Corder, Esq., and Mr. W. Cockerell.
Parish Clerk, George Morgan.
POST OFFICE.—Edmund Moore, receiver. Letters arrive from Ipswich at 7.40 a.m.; dispatched at 6.25 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Ipswich
INSURANCE AGENT.—Sovereign Life, J. Bickers
The Railway Station, Edward Swann, station master
CARRIERS from Coddenham, Needham Market, & other places pass through to Ipswich daily

Agnew Mrs
Blake Capt. George, Lodge
Drury Rev. Geo. B.A. [rector], Rectory
Drury Mrs
Edwards Miss
Keen Mrs
Lee John, esq
Lockwood Misses
Raffe Craig, esq
Rodwell Joshua, esq
Rodwell Miss
Street Mrs

Alexander Nathaniel, glover
Ashford Henry, grocer & draper
Bickers Jonathan, jun. boys' academy
Bickers Jonathan, sen. shoe maker
Bickers Matilda (Mrs.), ladies' school
Blowers Charles, saddler & harness maker
Blowers Frederick, tailor
Bradstreet Aaron, poulterer
Burch Jeremiah, miller
Burgess William, farmer
Cockerell Robert, farmer
Cooper Edward, whiting manufacturer
Corder Jas. farmer, Mock Beggar's hall
Dedman William, bricklayer
Payers William, lime burner
Garnham William, maltster
Granger James, baker
Groom George & Samuel, farmers
Last John, bricklayer & shopkeeper
Mallett Joseph, Crown, & brewer
Miller John, farmer, Claydon hall
Miller John, tailor
Moore Edmund, carpenter & baker, & post office
Moore Elijah, butcher & farmer
Morgan Daniel, boot maker
Morgan Daniel, shoe maker
Morgan Francis, blacksmith
Morgan Jesse, butcher & farmer
MorphewWm.pork butcher & pig dealer
Offord Charles, Greyhound, &pig dealer
Savage William, gardener

And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:14:34 GMT