Suffolk and Pub History in progress

Search UK pub history, and London.

History of Suffolk - Chevington 1865

Post Office Directory of 1865.

For a considerable more detail and Suffolk Pubs, visit my other historical Pub sites, including Suffolk Villages & Towns

CHEVINGTON Is a village and parish, in Thingoe hundred and union, county court district of Bury St. Edmunds, Thingoe rural deanery, Sudbury archdeaconry, and diocese of Ely, West Suffolk, 5 ½ miles south-west-by-south from Bury St. Edmund's. The church of All Saints is a neat building, with a tower and 5 bells : It was repaired and reseated in 1838. The living is a rectory, annual value £586, with residence, in the gift of, and held by, the Rev. John White, M.A., of Caius College, Cambridge. There is an endowed school, erected in 1847, at a cost of £600: the land for the site was given by the Marquis of Bristol: £40 a year from General Hervey's charity is received for its support. The Marquis of Bristol is lord of the manor and chief landowner: there are other smaller proprietors. The old Hall is occupied by a farmer. Ruffins, belonging to the Marquis of Bristol, is a handsome residence, about a mile and a half south-east from the village. There is in this village a factory for ready-made clothing, employing a great number of females. The soil is chiefly clay; and the crops are of the usual kind. There are several charities. The Poor's Estate, the proceeds of which, after deductions for land tax and repairs, are divided among the poor at Christmas. The poor have a coat or gown and an annuity of 40s. from Lady Kytson's Charity, and the sum of £50 was expended in enclosing the poor's allotment. The area of the parish is 2,429 acres, and the population in 1861 was 621.
Parish Clerk, Jonathan Cooper.
POST OFFICE.—William B. Sheppard, receiver. Letters from Bury St. Edmund's arrive at 9 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m. Wickhambrook is the nearest money order office
INSURANCE AGENT.—Liverpool S; London & Globe, William B. Sheppard
Endowed School, George Byford, master
White Rev John M.A. [rector]
White Miss, The grove

Commercial
Argent Robert, shoe maker
Ashman Samuel, farmer
Bailey Henry, blacksmith
Baldwin William, millwright
Beales William, clothes manufacturer
Bridge Alfred, farmer
Bridge Charles, farmer
Bridge William, carpenter
Brown Thomas, blacksmith
Cooper Jonathan, rate collector
Denton James D, miller & farmer
Edwards Joseph, wheelwright
Fenton Samuel, builder
Finch James, farmer
Jennison William, farmer, Lodge Farm
Kemp William, farmer, The Hall
Paine William D, farmer, Ruffins
Prewer James, bricklayer
Ransom James, farmer
Ranson James R, Greyhound inn
Sheppard William B, draper & grocer
Simkin John, farmer
Simkin Joseph, farmer
Suttle John, shoe maker
Tredgett Charles, farmer & landowner
Tredgett William, farmer
Wade Andrew, shopkeeper & beer retailer



And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:14:38 GMT