Suffolk and Pub History in progress

Search UK pub history, and London.

History of Suffolk - Carlton Colville 1865

Post Office Directory of 1865.

For a considerable more detail and Suffolk Pubs, visit my other historical Pub sites, including Suffolk Villages & Towns

CARLTON COLVILLE is a parish and straggling village, including the hamlet of MUTFORD BRIDGE: it is pleasantly situated on a height, in the hundred and incorporation of Mutford and Lothingland, county court district of Lowestoft, rural deanery of Lothingland, archdeaconry of Suffolk, and diocese of Norwich, East Suffolk, 2 miles from the Mutford station and the Lowestoft navigation, 137 from London by rail, and 110 by road through Ipswich, 3 ½ south-west from Lowestoft, and 6 ½ east from Beccles. The East Suffolk Railway from Lowestoft to Beccles passes through here, and has a station at Mutford Bridge. The church of St. Peter is an old building, with a square embattled tower containing 5 bells: it has a nave and chancel, and a porch on the south side: an organ was built by subscription in 1852. The register dates from about 1716; the earlier ones were destroyed by fire. The living is a rectory, tithes commuted at £395 per annum, with residence, and 18 acres of glebe land. In the gift of W. Andrews, Esq., and held by the Rev. William Hale Andrews, M.A., of St. John's College, Cambridge. R. H. Reeve, Esq., is lord of the manor. A National school was built here in 1843. Here is Colville House private institution for insane and imbecile: it stands in beautiful park-like grounds, and in a healthy locality, bordering on an arm of the sea: it is conducted by Mr. Daniel F. Tyerman, M.R.C.S. On the banks of the Waveney are marshes. Acres, 2,804 ; population, 946.
WOOLNER'S CAR is to the north-west. Mutford Bridge, 2 miles north, is a village. Near it are sand pits.
POST OFFICE.—John Bullard, postmaster. Letters arrive from Lowestoft at 9.30 a.m.; dispatched at 3.45 p.m.
The nearest mosey order office is at Lowestoft
PUBLIC OFFICERS :—
Collector of Rates, James Doddington
Collector of Taxes, Edward Chipperfield
National School, William Allison, master
Railway Station, William Mann Simmons, master
Andrews Rev. Wm. Hale, M.A. [rector]
Barnard William Vince, esq
Edwards Mr. George
Pearse Charles, esq
Smith Mr. Samuel
Tyerman Daniel F. esq. Colville house
Woodthorpe Mrs
Woodthorpe William, esq. Uplands

COMMERCIAL.
Armond Jeremiah, farmer
Baker William, farmer
Balls Charles, carpenter
Bird William, beer retailer & farmer
Bullard John, grocer, Mutford Bridge
Bullen George, farmer
Chipperfield Edward, butcher
Cleveland William, veterinary surgeon
Codling Robert, carpenter
Cutler Charles, beer retailer
Doddington James, wheelwright
Dowling George, land agent & surveyor, & at 16 London road, Lowestoft
Fulcher George, farmer
Greengrass Jermyn, Ship
Harvey William, Bell
Hawes John, cattle dealer
Heavers William, shopkeeper
Hicks Robert, tailor
Johnson Benjamin, landowner & farmer
Knights Jas. bricklayer. Mutlord Bridge
Kemp Robert, Lady of the Lake, & harness maker, Mutford Bridge
Ledbrooke James, farmer
Moyse John, jun. blacksmith
Moyse John, sen. blacksmith
Nurse Henry Knights, fanner
Pearse Charles, farmer
Roberts Samuel Goss, beer retailer & shoe maker
Rudd Robert, farm bailiff
Salter Colby, shoe maker
Sharman Robert West, wheelwright
Smith Samuel, surgeon & farmer, registrar of births & deaths
Stone James, farmer
Thurston William, gardener
Tyerman Daniel F. surgeon, Colville ho
Warne John, farmer



And Last updated on: Thursday, 08-Feb-2018 10:16:31 GMT